Middle Child -- Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took an hour or so to break down the Sea Trails. It's May in Florida...it's starting to get hot outside, so I came in at about 10 am.

Anyway, it's all broken down...except for the %#$@ pedals. I couldn't budge either of 'em. I PB Blasted 'em, hit the crank with a propane torch, beat on 'em with a hammer...nothin'. They're soaking in PB Blaster and I'll try later. If nothing else, I'll take apart the bottom bracket and degrease it still on the crank, then reassemble.

IMG_20150509_094220583_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

On inspection, it's all in good shape. Cobwebs are about the worst. The fenders and chainguard are in good shape. The seat's a Persons that I might have to dye to fit the color scheme we're thinking of. Basically we've got a good base for the project.

IMG_20150509_094242256
by Nick, on Flickr

And, this reflector bracket doesn't look like much, but it was bent, and after some work with a hammer and a couple of crescent wrenches...it isn't. :)

Minor mundane micro-update time...

IMG_20150516_085516
by Nick, on Flickr

So, those pedals are not coming off. I also need a new 9/16 wrench. The bottom bracket was easy to take apart, though, so I disassembled with it still in the bike.

IMG_20150516_071636035_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

I spray-degreased the whole shootin' match and wiped it down. It's drying nicely. Later today the garage should become a Florida oven and bake all the solvents out...'cause it's Florida.

IMG_20150516_074016873
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150516_073917046_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

Mmm...nice, clean bearings and degreased chain.

Should be a humdinger of a Hunziker when it's done. :)
I forgot to say thanks for coming up with the name for me -- Hunziker Special. Maybe I can make up some sort of tank plate or something.

IMG_20150516_085516 by Nick, on Flickr

So, those pedals are not coming off. I also need a new 9/16 wrench. The bottom bracket was easy to take apart, though, so I disassembled with it still in the bike.
So, don't be offended by this question, but are you sure that your loosening the pedals in the right direction? :39: I have caught myself getting them reversed before.

Also get some PB Blaster

Also get some PB Blaster

I soaked 'em in PB Blaster for a week...spritzed 'em with more daily. I love that stuff, but it was no match.

So, don't be offended by this question, but are you sure that your loosening the pedals in the right direction? :39: I have caught myself getting them reversed before.

Yeah, I made sure, 'cause I had the same thought. :thumbsup:

Just a little bit of pondering and design (yeah, right) work. Stuff I can do in the house, because it's 95 degrees outside today and the garage is probably 115.

I've been thinking about some sort of tank plate, so I did some tracing on cardboard. It's not as cool as Fordsnake's cardboard fabrications, by far.

IMG_20150523_152457840
by Nick, on Flickr

Then I cut it out and it actually fits. Whoo! I have the leftovers of a sheet of steel I bought a while ago to make a floor for my grill under the burners, and it just needs cut down a bit to fit. I'll use the usual hangers and grommets I've seen used around here a lot, and paint it to match the bike and letter it.

IMG_20150523_154403581
by Nick, on Flickr

"I took an hour or so to break down the Sea Trails. It's May in Florida...it's starting to get hot outside, so I came in at about 10 am."
Feeling the pain with you man. Wishing I was up at our other house in the mountains right now.

I am a firm believer in PB Blaster but lately on the bikes I have been using Kroil and it seems to get in the rusty stuff better than the PB !
I do try and wire brush the crusty stuff around the threads first !
Mark

"I took an hour or so to break down the Sea Trails. It's May in Florida...it's starting to get hot outside, so I came in at about 10 am."
Feeling the pain with you man. Wishing I was up at our other house in the mountains right now.
Yeah, and it's only getting hotter...

I am a firm believer in PB Blaster but lately on the bikes I have been using Kroil and it seems to get in the rusty stuff better than the PB !
I do try and wire brush the crusty stuff around the threads first !
Mark
This bike really doesn't have much crusty stuff -- nothing at all by the pedals, they're just frozen on. It's not a big deal, I can work around it.

Another fem build! sweet! looking forward to it!
Thanks!

Got some time in on the bike tonight -- not too humid and a nice breeze. I greased the bottom bearings and reassembled, then turned to the tins. I'm not sure who, but someone on here raved about a brass brush, and they were right. I've spent days sanding and stripping and steel wire-brushing to get stuff down to bare metal. Tonight I put my new brass brush on my drill and in about an hour and a half got the fenders and chainguard down to metal.

IMG_20150525_200610623
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150525_200951045
by Nick, on Flickr

Evie came out when I was almost done to see what I was doing with her bike, so I put her to work. She finished up the back fender and didn't do too bad for her first time holding a power drill.

IMG_20150525_201446904
by Nick, on Flickr

Mmm...shiny metal...

Nice brush work

Minor mundane micro-update time...

So, those pedals are not coming off. I also need a new 9/16 wrench. The bottom bracket was easy to take apart, though, so I disassembled with it still in the bike..

I would suggest a lot of propane-fueled direct heat on the crank-arm end around the pedal threads. Then some more heat/pbBlaster/more heat, a new wrench, and a breaker bar. They can't win if you are patient.
Or, rip that pedal apart,(now junk) put a pipe wrench on it and "tighten" (loosen) it! You can do it.

I would suggest a lot of propane-fueled direct heat on the crank-arm end around the pedal threads. Then some more heat/pbBlaster/more heat, a new wrench, and a breaker bar. They can't win if you are patient.
Or, rip that pedal apart,(now junk) put a pipe wrench on it and "tighten" (loosen) it! You can do it.
LOL, thanks. It's already done and reassembled -- I wasn't going to replace the pedals anyway, they're in good shape. I am the blade of grass that bends in the wind...not the mighty oak that struggles against it. Or something.

Latest posts

Back