Middle Child -- Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't actually work on the bike today, but spent time with a Rebel Rider IPA in one hand and a series of small parts in the other, staring at the frame and planning out how I'm going to make things like brakes and shifters functional.

The tough part comes from the differences between the donor bike frame and this one, and how the cables were run differently...since I'm planning on reusing the cables.

The front brake won't be an issue. A short cable run like that is pretty foolproof. The shifter for the 3-speed, though, isn't. The red donor bike has a lug welded to the frame by the hub for the cable end...the Sea Trails doesn't. Actually, it doesn't have any lugs at all. It has a clamp-on cable end thing that can't go on a chain stay, it'll have to go on the downtube. The Huffy has a little pulley to route the unsheathed cable over the bottom bracket and back to the hub. So after staring at it and moving pieces around, I thnk it'll be ok. I wanted to mount the shifter on a frame tube, but the clamp isn't big enough.

The back brake, on the other hand, won't work. The donor bike had a section of bare cable in the middle of the cable run, and with no lugs on it, the Huffy frame just can't use that cable, unless I put the back brake lever on the seat or something. I'm just gong to have to get a 5' long cable.

And, i'll have to mount the back fender in the stock location, no taildragging. The fender braces just don't reach anything if I try to get funky.

But, at least I have a kind of final plan on how things will fit together. I figure all of us spend some time just staring at the project, scratching our heads and muttering things like, "how in the heck will I..." and "now where will THAT go on the..." or even a "why in the fudge did THIS get designed like this?"

I figure all of us spend some time just staring at the project, scratching our heads and muttering things like, "how in the heck will I..." and "now where will THAT go on the..." or even a "why in the fudge did THIS get designed like this?"
Um... Yep...

Luke.

Oh my God. I was the absolute LAST thread on page 5! :oops: How many sammiches do I have to start making? :blush:

IMG_20150620_165056619
by Nick, on Flickr

But...after today's run to Ace Hardware, the LBS, Advane Auto Parts and Michael's Crafts I have everything I need to finish the Hunziker Special.

Just need time...when the garage isn't 120 degrees...when we don't get the daily Florida rain...when paint can actually dry...

All right, I'm into the FUN stuff now!

IMG_20150621_153139472
by Nick, on Flickr

Let's start with the crummy, brown seat. Well, it's a Persons, so it's not crummy, really. Just brown. And grungy. So some scrubbing with Meguiarerrer's (?) auto interior cleaner stuff, and some vinyl dye...

IMG_20150621_160649161_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

...and poof! Instant nice!

Vinyl dye
by Nick, on Flickr

And don't let anyone tell ya different -- vinyl dye works on fingers, too. I've washed my hands about five times, sprayed 'em with PB Blaster and scraped 'em with my fingernails...and I still have some of this stuff on me. Definitely more "sticky" than paint.

IMG_20150621_163449182
by Nick, on Flickr

Masked off the chainwheel and stuff that wouldn't come off, and primed the frame with self-etching primer.

IMG_20150621_164420569_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

Remember those "hidden picture" puzzles in the old Highlights for Children magazine at the doctor's office? Well, most of a Huffy Sea Trails is in this picture. Find the: forks, front fender, rear fender, chainguard, seat, tank plate, handlebars, wheels and tires. :thumbsup:

I also did some paint tests on a scrap of sheet steel to see how we'll combine the main color, accent color and either flat or glossy clearcoat.

And now it's 6pm, so it's raining, because Florida.

All right, I'm into the FUN stuff now!

IMG_20150621_153139472
by Nick, on Flickr

Let's start with the crummy, brown seat. Well, it's a Persons, so it's not crummy, really. Just brown. And grungy. So some scrubbing with Meguiarerrer's (?) auto interior cleaner stuff, and some vinyl dye...

IMG_20150621_160649161_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

...and poof! Instant nice!

Vinyl dye
by Nick, on Flickr

And don't let anyone tell ya different -- vinyl dye works on fingers, too. I've washed my hands about five times, sprayed 'em with PB Blaster and scraped 'em with my fingernails...and I still have some of this stuff on me. Definitely more "sticky" than paint.

IMG_20150621_163449182
by Nick, on Flickr

Masked off the chainwheel and stuff that wouldn't come off, and primed the frame with self-etching primer.

IMG_20150621_164420569_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

Remember those "hidden picture" puzzles in the old Highlights for Children magazine at the doctor's office? Well, most of a Huffy Sea Trails is in this picture. Find the: forks, front fender, rear fender, chainguard, seat, tank plate, handlebars, wheels and tires. :thumbsup:

I also did some paint tests on a scrap of sheet steel to see how we'll combine the main color, accent color and either flat or glossy clearcoat.

And now it's 6pm, so it's raining, because Florida.
Nice ref to the Highlights mag. I can tell we are from the same generation!;)

...and some Goop hand cleaner. Then moisturize or your skin will wrinkle up and die.
Argh, I don't *have* any Goop hand cleaner. Wish I did...it's basically jellied gasoline. Which would be napalm.

Nice ref to the Highlights mag. I can tell we are from the same generation!;)

I don't know if I should "like" that, or just drink more...

Here's the answer key to yesterday's Hidden Picture puzzle, kids! :p

HighlightsAnswers
by Nick, on Flickr

1.forks
2.front fender
3.rear fender
4.chainguard
5.seat
6.tank plate
7.handlebars
8.wheels and tires

Thanks for playing!

Little bit of spray-spray last night. Here's a teaser:

IMG_20150626_203834772
by Nick, on Flickr

GM-spec Bahama Blue Metallic as the accent color. Used the whole (little) can of Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray paint. Here's a blurry-closeup to try to capture the sparkle:

IMG_20150626_203917765
by Nick, on Flickr

6-27-2015 2-39-37 PM
by Nick, on Flickr
Eccch! That's what I have to say about THAT. And...add about 10 degrees inside my garage.

Still, work goes on. Evie and I went out in the garage and masked off all the pieces of bicycle. We made our own frame darts -- painter's tape on parchment paper...dart laid out and cut, then you can just peel it off and stick it to the frame.

IMG_20150627_131147442
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150627_142845351
by Nick, on Flickr

We got everything painted, and it'll probably be bone dry in about 17 minutes with the heat right now. The humidity might slow it down a bit...let's say 32 minutes.

IMG_20150627_142902906_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

One more pic...Bahama Blue forks next to satin black fender. I'm gonna stripe all the color borders with white, and letter the tank plate, then use up a can of clear lacquer on it. :D

Does your paint dry too fast cause of the heat? Saw an episode of Fast n Loud and the painter said it was too hot to paint because the paint was dry when it hit the car and he could not get any gloss. He ended up painting at night when it was a little cooler.

Does your paint dry too fast cause of the heat? Saw an episode of Fast n Loud and the painter said it was too hot to paint because the paint was dry when it hit the car and he could not get any gloss. He ended up painting at night when it was a little cooler.
I don't think it's THAT hot here. Texas gets up over 100, and probably 120 in their paint booth. Tampa's never OFFICIALLY broken 100. :rolleyes: But no, I haven't had the problem here.

First off...the "Hunziker Special" name may have been a ruse this whole time to throw off my daughter. I present to you:

IMG_20150627_162800226
by Nick, on Flickr

Middle Child. Evie hasn't seen this name yet, and she's either going to LOVE it, or utterly HATE it. :angelic: She and I laid down all the paint, and peeled off....well basically the thing's all painted now.

IMG_20150627_160741139
by Nick, on Flickr

And, I got gutsy with the paint Sharpie.

IMG_20150627_160726079
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150627_160702013
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150627_160713631
by Nick, on Flickr

IMG_20150627_162717222
by Nick, on Flickr

Now it's just drying and awaiting assembly.:)

Went out this morning to start assembly...clearcoat was still tacky.

Checked it before dinner...still tacky. Gotta love Florida's humidity. Plus, rainstorms both this morning and tonight. Bleh.

On the upside, I revealed the new name to my daughter and she loves it. :)

Went out this morning to start assembly...clearcoat was still tacky.

Checked it before dinner...still tacky. Gotta love Florida's humidity. Plus, rainstorms both this morning and tonight. Bleh.

On the upside, I revealed the new name to my daughter and she loves it. :)
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....wow, I missed the changeover! You really made quick progress on this. And in that heat...as we say up here in the north country...Uff Da!

I took today off work for the holiday, and got out into the garage after my jog...by 9am, when it was still kind of cool outside. At 1:00 p.m...

IMG_20150703_124706192_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

...Middle Child was done!

Evie came out and helped with the assembly and adjustments, and took it on its first shakedown ride. (click through for video on Flickr)

VID_20150703_123616170
by Nick, on Flickr

Evie took it to the end of the street and back and came back smiling.

IMG_20150703_121446724_HDR
by Nick, on Flickr

Embarrassingly, I climbed on it and immediately the seat CREAKED, and the pedals CLUNKED and the whole axle shifted forward and bound up the chain. Evie looked at me like I broke her new bike. 15 minutes more adjusting and tightening had it taken care of.

Evie also pulled out the USOCC chopper from BO-8 and rode it around a bit.

IMG_20150703_092759
by Nick, on Flickr

More and better pics later.

Latest posts

Back