mini rat - now called "Slow Ride" DONE 11/29

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didnt know this build was still going...so heres my entry...i want to do something different, I think ive gone through all the posts, and havent seen a 20" bike yet...so here goes. No clue what this is...from the research ive done it looks like a columbia. I cant find the good pics I have so this will have to do until tomorrow. Have big plans for this one...updates soon.

Yes the fork is very bent...i have a replacement.

IMG0224.jpg

IMG0223.jpg

Maybe that's what my bike was.

Fugitive.jpg

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

No it had 20" wheels when I got it I put 24" wheels on it. The sprocket and frame are identical and they have the exact same bend in the fork....hmmm. My serial # on the dropout is D 6034. The bars are different but the neck is the same. Mine had fender mount holes in the dropouts too. Pretty neat I wondered what mine was. It was missing the headbadge.

Got the bike out of the rafters today:

Heres what it looked like as is:

1-3.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

Heres the first mock up:

4-3.jpg

Added what I thought was a 20" springer (ive always ran a 16 on it all the years ive had it) and flipped the bars. Didnt like the bars so i took them off

Second mock up:

5-3.jpg

found smaller and better bars, added a good set of matching tires and replaced tubes/rim strips. Rear wheel is locked up so im taking it apart. bought my paint yesterday..not exactly what i wanted but it will be cool. It will look stupid putting a front fender on with all that clearance

Cool bike. Weird , those pedals look like the ones on my Corvette.

Any reason why you have the springer mount tab upside down, so the spring points upwards?

Yes the second mock up is the way its staying. I think it has a cool bobber look going, and I have the perfect seat in mind. I'm pretty bummed because I wanted to put full fenders on it, I can probably make a bracket to drop the front fender a few inches so its near the wheel, but the back of the frame is skinny, plus I cant find a fender to fit, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now.

For some reason the angle was off when I put the spring on the right way, so the bolt wouldn't thread, so I flipped it, it still works and looks different.

Finally got out in the garage to do some more work on this thing:

I wanted a solid sprocket, so I pulled this off an old murray.

2-5.jpg

Pulled the crank and sprocket that was on the bike apart as well, and ran into this problem:

3-5.jpg

This crank isn't like the old ones, it doesnt have the second bar holding the sprocket in place...I was going to paint the original crank so I really wanted to use that...oh well I'll use the chrome one right. What never crossed my mind is now I can use the chainguard I wanted to, before the second bar holding the sprocket on was rubbing, now it wont...

4-4.jpg

This could be a Columbia bike...

5-4.jpg

Take the rear bracket from the chainguard mount that was on the bike

6.jpg

with a little modification it will work just fine

Added Mesinger seat from Schwinn 10 speed:

8.jpg

And here she is:

1-5.jpg

Im going to shorten the front fender braces so it sits closer to the tire. Also ignore my red wire holding the fender up, I'm going to make a front fender holder just like the Krate bikes had.
7.jpg

More to come soon...

Does that Murray crank use a different size bearing and races than a typical/normal bottom bracket?

I have some of those and they have tiny races and bearings.

Cool setup. Great mismash of parts going together. I wish I could find some older kid-sized bikes.

cman said:
Does that Murray crank use a different size bearing and races than a typical/normal bottom bracket?

I have some of those and they have tiny races and bearings.

Cool setup. Great mismash of parts going together. I wish I could find some older kid-sized bikes.

Nope I actually used the original bearings and cups that were on the bike. It came off a 20" murray.

demon said:
pretty neat!

I dont like the chainguard though, it seems a little boxy compared to most of the other smooth shapes and contours with the bike.

Yeah it is a little big, but I thought it had the right vintage look. Also its the only one I have that will fit the bike, so I dont know what to do.

Thats a good idea about the old bmx bars, I have tons of those laying around.

Well I ended up going a whole new direction with this bike....

First off the bike is now called "slow ride" after Foghat of course. came on the radio when i was building and its one of my favorite songs.

Cant get the hub apart on the back wheel..its still locked up...so I ditched the wheelset and found something way different....

MAGS!!

6-1.jpg

also added a chain and made the bike ridable...its a blast to ride!
also a sneak peak at one of my color choices, the teal color on half of the front mag.

but with the bars flipped and it being a 20" bike, and im 5'5, it was pretty hard to turn, especially with the spring missing, not much of a turning radius. so...

put the original bars back on, the right way.

4-5.jpg

wanted to raise the fork an a couple inches...hmm what do i have laying around thats solid rubber...oh yeah the old leaf spring bushing from my 77 Trans Am im restoring..pefect...still functions then.
also added some old black cruiser grips that match pefect

1-7.jpg

5-5.jpg

2-7.jpg

or does it look better all the way raked??

3-6.jpg

yes ive been seeing that honest abe bike everywhere and love the low stance...

more to come soon...

Latest posts

Back