Mini Velo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A little while ago somebody had a thread showing some mini velo's. I thought the idea of full size bike dimensions with smaller wheels was interesting. Now normally I wouldn't really cut up an older frame. However, this frame was trashed and probably beyond repair. At first glance it looks ok and then I started to notice welds around the bb. After looking at it the bb was way out of alignment, there are welds everywhere, and if you are looking at the frame length wise the whole thing as a curve to it. I'm guessing at some point somebody ran it over with a car.

Looks like it is either a Columbia or a Monark?

I didn't take a lot of progress photos. What I did was trace the frame on a piece of paper, then figured out where the wheels would need to go, and finally used tracing paper to figure out how to rearrange the parts.

Since I didn't take many photos here is a run down. I completely cut off the seat stays, pie cut the chain stays and bent them down, and then reattached the seat stays. I had to do a lot of cutting and rewelding to get the bb where it would actually work. After everything was as good as I can get I welded it up and made the new drop outs. On the front I cut about 3" out of the top tube. Then bent the bottom tube a little lower. The length of the headtube was based on using a 24" rat trap that I had (which I will lengthen the steering tube on). These are the only 20" wheels I have so I'll probably use them and now I need to just get some tires. The bike will forever be a little bit crooked but it is solid now. I think it has a pretty cool look to it and is sort of cycle truckish. I still have quite a bit of work cleaning up welds but this pic will give an idea of where it is going.

Got a little bit done on this build over the weekend. First thing was to get the steer tube lengthed. I also got all the welding finished up. Well except I need to repair some damage on the seat stay.

Then I started testing out parts. The tires were the only 20 inches that I had. I kind of like the whitewall and might get a match for the front. Also I think the lower headlight might be a bit much.

I like this small banana seat but probably won't use it. The combination of the small wheel and banana seat makes it feel too much like a muscle bike, which isn't what I'm going for. If I did use it I would make a mount for the sissy bar on the stays.

I like this troxel seat but it feels so huge on this bike.

Normally the ladies seats look a little out of proportion. I think it looks about right though on this small bike.

Tried flipping the bars. It's actually really comfortable this way but will probably get in the way of my knees.

Try a set of low rise mountain bike bars on this build.

Like these ones.
Getting%20There%201.jpg

Luke I really like the lower headlight too. It just is a bit overpowering. Kind of feels like a headlight with a bike attached to it lol. I'll have to stare at it for a while. Also that's one fog light of a pair that might be going on my hot rod.

Dracotheread- bars like that were my initial thought too. I have a pair of narrowed ones and they look pretty cool on it. I kind of like the cruiser vibe of the ones on there now.

yhu2y9ys.jpg

The one thing that is bugging me is the place where the middle tube meets the seat tube. I think it need to be moved down to be even with the seat stays.
Yeah I wish they matched up just a little bit better. But it doesn't bother me enough to cut tubes loose and move them ;)

Latest posts

Back