Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys.... after dropping off the face of the earth for a while (work and family life has been keeping me VERY VERY busy), I'm back for the Build-Off. This year, I'll be building a 1933 Colson rear steer tandem. "Mint Julep" will continue the bourbon-inspired bike builds and follow in the footsteps of last year's "Bourbon & Blue". I'm currently building my parts pile and searching VERY hard for the front bottom bracket and crank arms as well as any of the rear steer components. If any of you have these or have a source please let me know! Here's a couple pictures of where we are starting... it's going to be a long path this year... I hope she'll get done :) The frame, sprockets, seat posts, rear bars, rear Morrow hub, and rear seat are original - all the rest is going.... wish me luck and sub this thread for more exciting Build-Off adventures.

MintJulep.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to have you two along for the ride :)

I was very impressed with Bourbon & Blue along with your photography and graphics last year. I'm glad your back and am looking forward to Mint Julep. Bottoms up!

Thanks so much for the kind words - much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is Graduation week/weekend for our oldest daughter so I'll be enjoying family and celebrating heartily since we are hosting family and friends for her graduation party! I did make some progress on Mint Julep though. She is stripped and the frame is in the process of getting cleaned up and ready for paint (or powder coat). Pulled the rear Morrow hub apart and to my surprise, everything looks great inside so not too much work there (hopefully). I have a pair of drop center rims ready to go, and have started making drawings to reproduce the rear-steering mechanism. Working on getting the stainless hardware fitted and identifying which pieces will be shiny and which will be a satin nickel plate. I also mocked up a shot-glass rear light and got the dog leg crank cleaned up and in place. Slow and steady... slow and steady...

f8fa19e5ff63cd56b1a493baed1fdb93.jpg

b614fbeefbfe21c488ba4e76c462b055.jpg

a9c90781ae8366d140f319c7717812eb.jpg

0b387c642bba74725262636f5333eb90.jpg

c0dec11e4b053722abcca9c0c012d0e7.jpg

Last edited:
Made a little progress over the weened in addition to the graduation celebration. Got some Quick Bricks mounted up to check fitment in the frame and forks. They fill the space nicely with just enough room to get a fender in there. Gathered a few more parts and made a color decision. Here's where we are so far.

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

Compound curve fenders from Woody's!
Unknown.jpeg

Seats from American Seat & Saddle
il_570xN.919877617_dfab.jpg

New Departure front brake hub
B7961EAA7EDE4E54B7F20059522DA8AC67623000-1.jpg

Mint green for the frame, fork, and rims!
db_file_img_18049_1200xauto.jpg

"reproduce the rear-steering mechanism"

This is worth watching!
Will it use sprockets and a chain like the original? This bike was rear steer originally?
I've seen these and wondered why they didn't use steel rods instead of chain and sprockets.

"reproduce the rear-steering mechanism"

This is worth watching!
Will it use sprockets and a chain like the original? This bike was rear steer originally?
I've seen these and wondered why they didn't use steel rods instead of chain and sprockets.

It was dual / rear steer from the factory and used a skip-tooth sprocket on top of the front fork as well as at the bottom of the rear handle bar tube. The linkage was two lengths of skip-tooth chain connected by steel rods with adjusters. I'll be reproducing this as Colson intended but with a little modernization / modification (hopefully)

From watching your past builds, I know this is going to be beautiful.

Mint Julep Monday Update -

I'm getting close to being able to send the frame off for paint. If everything goes well this week it should get dropped off next Monday! I also have the seat stripped and ready to sandblast. I'm going to give recovering it a shot. I've never worked with leather, but have done a little upholstery in the past. Fingers croessed, should be fun.

Lots of parts have been ordered so I'm in that exciting space of waiting for the UPS and FedEx man excitedly every day. To pass the time I'm spending lots of time finessing the brazed and welded joints to get them looking as good as possible before paint, as well as picking out and fitting hardware.

Anyway, during lunch today I stumbled across this vintage Hartmann bag.
x354-q80.jpg

It got me thinking and I now believe I have an idea for the travel cocktail kit and bags for Mint Julep! Now I'm in the search for a period appropriate rack :)

Mint Julep Monday Update -

I'm getting close to being able to send the frame off for paint. If everything goes well this week it should get dropped off next Monday! I also have the seat stripped and ready to sandblast. I'm going to give recovering it a shot. I've never worked with leather, but have done a little upholstery in the past. Fingers croessed, should be fun.

Lots of parts have been ordered so I'm in that exciting space of waiting for the UPS and FedEx man excitedly every day. To pass the time I'm spending lots of time finessing the brazed and welded joints to get them looking as good as possible before paint, as well as picking out and fitting hardware.

Anyway, during lunch today I stumbled across this vintage Hartmann bag.
View attachment 51419
It got me thinking and I now believe I have an idea for the travel cocktail kit and bags for Mint Julep! Now I'm in the search for a period appropriate rack :)
I've got a big ol' cheese grater rack here if you think that will fit the bill.

Latest posts

Back