Misfit build, one piece at a time.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this to the FB group but figured I could go into more detail on it here..

Just like the Johnny Cash song, this was built one piece at a time and it didn't cost me a dime. What year is it? Well, It's a '68 Simpson Sears, '69 CCM Mustang, '70 CCM Cheetah, '73ish Western Flyer Buzz Bike, '73 Leader, 74 CCM Galaxie, 90s kids bike, bicycle.

Was wanting to do a "no weld" type bike build for awhile, but I needed the rear end of a 3 piece frame, which I happened to aquire recently. got a whole mid 70s CCM galaxie off a friend, minus the handlebars, the bike had been run over by a farm tractor, so it was the perfect donor bike.

Additional rear end was from the CCM Galaxie, I cut the rear end off it, flattened the ends of the chainstays and drilled holes to bolt it to the existing dropouts. I also straightened out the bend in the seatstay.

P_20200918_142902.jpg

Started with an original mock up, just to sorta plan out the build.
P_20200918_145455.jpg

Upon getting a headset installed, discovered the green fork from the CCM Galaxie had too short of steerer to attach to the Wester Flyer frame. So, rummaged through my parts and settled on the fork off my Simpson Sears Fleetwing beach cruiser. It was almost a hair short as well, but after trying a couple different top races for the bearing, I got it to work. I also went to a shorter sissy bar to lay the seat back more and swapped to a less new seat. I at least got it as a rolling bike at this point I could sit on. I also had to cut into the brake/fender mount on the seatstays, so I could bolt them to the seat collar.

P_20200919_164209.jpg

P_20200919_164230.jpg

P_20200919_164239.jpg

Next step, I put a chain and the original Buzz Bike chainguard on it. I also decided to use the mangled rear fender from the CCM Galaxie I had, I managed to hammer out the massive crushed section. Also cleaned off some of the rust. I also straightened out that CCM Chainguard, but I didn't wanna cut it up, so it's still in my parts bin for another project.

The dent was probably 3'' long and 1'' deep.

P_20200912_183159.jpg

But I got it straightened out enough to be useable.

P_20200913_171153.jpg

Mocked i t up and tried different positions...
P_20200920_182031.jpg

I wanted a longer chainguard, so I rummaged through my parts bin for another chainguard I could cut up if needed and I found the pink/white/purple from a kids bike, from I'm guessing the 80s/90s, So I mounted the Buzzbike chainguard to the pink one(leaving the Buzzbike one unmodified), after notching and drilling the pink one to fit...I also didn't like the sissy bar digging into my back, so I made up a custom seat post adapter to push the seat further back and make it more comfortable. I also added a pair of yellow metallic sparkle grips at this point.

P_20200921_172838.jpg

So far so good...it was rideable at this point. Though I noticed my chain line, the chain was rubbing against the seatstay, behind the chain guard...Not sure how to fix that, as of yet, so far I've got a piece of the soft side of velcro stuck on, with the assistance of hockey tape. I've not yet figured out a better thing, I tried using an old MTB derailleur bolted to the seat stay but it was too bulky and pushed the chain too far in towards the frame and it'd just twist the chain. I also used some rubber on the inside but the side of the chain would just cut up everything, It actually started cutting into the frame ever so slightly..

Few days passed, didn't do anything else to the bike, I then decided to finally mount a kickstand and fenders....I cut down a kickstand not once, not twice, not 3 times but 4 times to make it work...I even took a die and threaded some shallow threads to give it a design, so it didn't just look like a kickstand stolen off a modern Wall-mart Bike.

I also used a red and white paint marker to give the tires some detail, did a redline on both tires and coloured in the text on the rear tire. White text could've been better but was more a "lets try it" thing.

P_20200925_172540.jpg

P_20200925_172527.jpg

Rear fender was a bit of a PITA, I didn't get it as low in the rear as I wanted it but I made it work, I ended up drilling a hole in the top to mount to the underside of the seat pan, using the reflector mount. I Also drilled a new hole to mount it to the proper fender mount closer to the front.

Front fender was much easier, I added a 2nd brace to the fork mount hole and went with it.

P_20200926_171811.jpg

P_20200926_171820.jpg

Couple more days passed before doing anythign else, then got the idea of adding something in to the front of the frame, so I did...a name plate. Cut out a custom stencil and cut out some scrap sheet metal, spray painted the name on it. Used some perforated metal strip to mount it to the frame.
P_20200928_163442.jpg

P_20200928_165541.jpg

P_20200928_171056.jpg

P_20200928_171114.jpg

That's as it sits now, my next thing for it is a padded saddle, just need to get some foam. I plan on covering it with the foam, then some plastic or rubber to weatherproof it and have a t-shirt as the material to cover with, hopefully a band t-shirt, if I can find a "Misfits" shirt, it'd be great....or maybe some cool looking pattern or design that'll fit the theme.

So, current issues I'm having:

~Chain rub oin seatstay, what could I do about it? I thought about maybe spreading the frame but not sure I'd be able to stretch the frame enough for that, since the contact point is so high up. Another thing I thought of was flattening that bit of frame, but I don' t wanna compromise the integrity of the frame..or permanently do modifications to it, unless I need to.

~Other neat things I could add to it?

I would just dimple the seat stay where it's making contact. Sounds like you only need the slightest bit according to your description

unnamed.jpg

Cool build! A true rat. Love that front fender positioning

Capt. Is that tool bought or home made? looks useful...
Home made by someone. Found on the web, but others on here have made similar. Pretty simple and the nice thing is it's repeatable and adjustable

So many things to say!
1 loving all the CCM parts, so very nostalgic for this Canadian kid. I know they ain't popular, but I like the old CCM crank wheel.
2 downright inspirational! No welds you say?
*Eyes rear section of CCM tandem. Nope, the special lady would kill me!
3 that back chainguard? Might be from another Canadian classic, Supercycle. I've got a similar one in the garage.
IMG_20200530_124155376.jpg

You are dead on with the era, she got it new at Canadian Tire mid eighties

I would just dimple the seat stay where it's making contact. Sounds like you only need the slightest bit according to your description

View attachment 140033

Cool build! A true rat. Love that front fender positioning

Thanks, might have to try this. And yea, it's just barely touching the frame. chain has already worn down the paint where it rubs and has started grinding into the frame, I put velcro on the spot, for now though, made it better than my first iteration. At least it makes it quiet. I've seen the floating fenders on other bikes and had to have one on this bike.

It being an American frame, they're not all that desirable here in Canada, everyone wants the CCMs and Raleighs, so if it comes down to modifying the frame...I'm not *too* concerned about it.

So many things to say!
1 loving all the CCM parts, so very nostalgic for this Canadian kid. I know they ain't popular, but I like the old CCM crank wheel.
2 downright inspirational! No welds you say?
*Eyes rear section of CCM tandem. Nope, the special lady would kill me!
3 that back chainguard? Might be from another Canadian classic, Supercycle. I've got a similar one in the garage.
View attachment 140036
You are dead on with the era, she got it new at Canadian Tire mid eighties

I love the CCM chainrings, they look cool. Yea no welds, just some hefty bolts holding it together. I seen a couple of those white/blue bikes on Marketplace these past few months, rather like the frame style of them, similar style to my CCM Scrambler.

Latest posts

Back