Miss Prissy 4 Bar Hawthorne - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm back for build-off 11. I purchased this Hawthorne from the Ann Arbor, Michigan bike show last month. My plan was to do a bike for my wife and the idea is "anything she wants". Not sure if this is a good idea, but happy wife - happy life. :)
So I guess you can call this a husband/wife build but a very basic rebuild, repaint, new tires etc. etc. no cutting, no welding very low budget build. I'm thinking of doing a lace paint job on the fenders and possibly recovering a seat with whatever material she chooses.

Here is my start.
I believe this is called a Hawthorne 4 bar (please correct me if i'm wrong) and it is my guess around 1950, H.P Snyder built???
I know very little about this frame, so if anyone can provide me with more information, I would appreciate it.

Serial # appears to be 05EH

Head badge is a little beat up. perhaps from a basket.

Wow, cool frame and guard. Haven't seen that one before. Dig it.

furyus

That sure is a good looking ladies frame!!

Nice parts group, liking the light and saddle collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That light is awesome

I pushed the headlight off to later and I got to work removing the old paint off the bike frame, fork, fenders, etc. by using Easy-off oven cleaner and heavy duty scouring pads. I've always used paint remover on the past but the oven cleaner worked fine. I then sanded the frame and eventually got the bike a couple of coats of primer.

While waiting on the wife to decide what color she wants her bike to be, I went to an estate sale and found this AMF Skyrider in the garage. I asked how much and the guy said $15. I love a bike with patina and I quickly handed the man the $15. This frame has the type of rust that comes off on your hands like small pellets. The seat is tore up, the handlebars bent and kinked, the back rim had 6 broken spokes and the front had 3, it was love at first sight.

I didn't need a side project but wanted to do a quick fix on the Skyrider. So it was a little dirty, perhaps I should have power washed it first.

I painted the rims white, new spokes, new tires.

Added a seat and ape hangers (maybe the ape hangers are a bit too much, but it rides nice) I had in stock an done....

...and then the wife says "Hows my bike coming along"...my reply "Just waiting on the primer to dry"
I then sent her to the store to pick out the paint and she comes back with Purple/Grape! Not my choice but she's getting purple.

She also came back with these 2 rattle cans. She wants it to be "Sparkly". Ugh...Has anyone ever used these before? I remember someone in the past trying the glitter but not having good results. I have some scrap fenders so I'm going to give them a test.

There was some kind of glittery clear guys were using to get the flake effect. That stuff might leave a rough texture. Cool AMF rat!

I've used that spray glitter with good results.
After you spray it, it'll have a texture to it; spray on the clear. Then wet sand with 2000-2500, spray more of the clear Then use a good rattle can clear, wet sand with 3000. It'll end up smooth and glittery.

Great score on the skyrider, been hoping to stumble onto one of those for a good price.

I've used that spray glitter with good results.
After you spray it, it'll have a texture to it; spray on the clear. Then wet sand with 2000-2500, spray more of the clear Then use a good rattle can clear, wet sand with 3000. It'll end up smooth and glittery.

Thanks for that good information. I sprayed some glitter on the front forks, very lightly to start. Actually I think it looks good but once it dried it did have a rough texture.

Thanks for that good information. I sprayed some glitter on the front forks, very lightly to start. Actually I think it looks good but once it dried it did have a rough texture.
Once you put a couple coats of the glitter clear on and wet sand, the texture goes away.

Latest posts

Back