Mixte bikes, what's the deal.....Pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So I picked up a lugged frame 2 tone Shogun Mixte bike the other day which I intend to flip. What is the draw to these things, I've seen a few go for a lot of money? I wouldn't have grabbed it if I hadn't remembered a Peugeot mixte going for a few hundred bucks on ebay a while ago. This one is totally ridable and in good overall condition but the tires dont match (one all black and one gumwall) and it needs a tune up, which I will give it. Once it has had a going through, a bath and the tires matched up I think (hope) it will show nicely.

anyone else have any success stories flipping these things they want to share..

Re: Mixte bikes, what's the deal

not sure what the draw is, but the hipsters love the twin bar mixties , I can get an extra hundred bucks from a mixtie over the exact same standard single bar girls bike .. go figure.. :roll:

I gave away a sweet pink mixte to a kid on the Wesleyan campus. She couldn't get her hands on it fast enough. You would have thought the tubes were filled with gold.

SSG said:
Mixte frames tend to be stronger than your typical ladies frame. Many people consider them to be a unisex frame.
+1
And as was already stated, the hipster crowd seem to dig them. They sell well for me being that Im less than 5 miles from 4 college campus and a couple of hipster neighborhoods.

They also make great frames for home made longtail (xtra-cycle) cargo bikes.

Someone built a pretty cool chopped Mixte a while back.

No time to clean this one up for a few days yet but the wheels are true, paint looks great. I think I'm just looking at a basic tune up and new brake cables.

that are more intricate and girls like aesthetics. that also werent made for as long so they are harder to find... especially decent chromoly ones. the only ones i find are high 10

My wife has an old Univega mixte and will not part with it. The lugged frame is just tensile steel, but it nicely brazed. The mixte was considered a big improvement in stiffness over conventional ladies' bikes which contained curved tubing.

This is the rig. Loos good at 20'
08062.jpg

Tourney cranks
08065.jpg

nce pinstripes and lugs on the fork
08063.jpg

bummer cable rub
08061.jpg

What were they thinking!
08064.jpg

PSU = Plymouth State University, not sure about the last 2 letters though.

Check this site out for tons of mixtes.
I am still trying to find a home made longtail mixte for you.
I have an old Raleigh Mixte that I plan to build a longtail out of someday.

http://themixtegallery.wordpress.com/

I think you can make a cool hotrod or custom out of them mixtes. I used mine for the RRBBO #4 two years ago.

These are it's incarnations:

mix_herr_rudolf_1.jpg

^ As found.

mix_142.jpg

mix_149.jpg

^ As finished custom with lots of custom aluminum fabrication for the Build-off.

mix_185.jpg

^ As hotrod for the streets

mix_202.jpg

^ As it sits now with a slightly different look. (More white added.)

Buildthread for more details:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =a#p159675

You guys MISSED this? I got a neighbor to join a few months ago (Peterbuilt). Turns out he's got the "KNACK" for building. I told him to give this a try....He did, and this is the most comfortable bike I've been on (and I have a Townie)...Super simple.

It's called Twisted Sister 2

008-1.jpg

That really makes for a cool looking bike. I love the rake it gives the front fork.

Take a look at the geometry of it. Pedals are now forward. EXTREMELY comfortable bike, for next to nothing $.

KOTA said:
Take a look at the geometry of it. Pedals are now forward. EXTREMELY comfortable bike, for next to nothing $.

I saw that. I flipped a Raleigh Gruv a couple of months ago and I kinda wish I had kept it. There is a lot to be said about the crank forward designs.

IMG_2078.jpg

Best way to fix MIXTE!! :shock: :shock: :lol:

IMG_0005c-3.jpg

IMG_0140c2B.jpg

IMG_0011c.jpg

I like the seat post/rearstay chops you did on the bike, makes it look awesome

Latest posts

Back