Modifying forks and truss rods ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s-l1600-14.jpg

So I kind of jumped the gun buying this fork and truss rod combo because the forks match a 1958 - 24 inch frame that I have.
I believe that they're off a girls bike because the steer tube is longer than on boys forks, therefore the truss rods are also longer than boys.

I ordered a die so I can add threads then cut steer tube to desired length. That doesn't seem too hard but if anyone has any pointers from personal experience that would be appreciated. Also, any tips on shortening truss rods. Since this is a bit of a ratty build I'm tempted to just put the ends in a vice, smash the ends flat and re-drill - but if anybody has experience shortening truss rods or maybe a theory that's less barbaric than my idea I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!!!

^^^ I thought about that too but I was thinking that it might throw the angle off, but I'm definitely going to wait until I have the bike together before doing anything permanant

View attachment 163994
So I kind of jumped the gun buying this fork and truss rod combo because the forks match a 1958 - 24 inch frame that I have.
I believe that they're off a girls bike because the steer tube is longer than on boys forks, therefore the truss rods are also longer than boys.

I ordered a die so I can add threads then cut steer tube to desired length. That doesn't seem too hard but if anyone has any pointers from personal experience that would be appreciated. Also, any tips on shortening truss rods. Since this is a bit of a ratty build I'm tempted to just put the ends in a vice, smash the ends flat and re-drill - but if anybody has experience shortening truss rods or maybe a theory that's less barbaric than my idea I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!!!

I don't have a die for 1" 24tpi, so instead i usually cut out the sector from the steerer and weld it back. Never caused me a single problem, and i am able to shorten or extend any fork this way :)
Truss rods is a bit more of a delicate issue. Flattening them same way as they are now may not be easy. I'd probably just try to fabricate my own rods in the situation like that.

I don't have a die for 1" 24tpi, so instead i usually cut out the sector from the steerer and weld it back. Never caused me a single problem, and i am able to shorten or extend any fork this way :)
Truss rods is a bit more of a delicate issue. Flattening them same way as they are now may not be easy. I'd probably just try to fabricate my own rods in the situation like that.
Thanks for info!!!

0-9.jpeg

I gave my die a test run on a set of bent forks for practice and it's super easy. There's a little technique to it, go down 1/4 inch then back it off and repeat in 1/4 increments. Cutting it to desired length should be pretty easy.
$40 for the die, $20 for the handle and $5 for cutting lube - works for me :dance2:

I don’t believe the headtube of the girls frame is terribly longer. I’d prob chase the threads (as you’ve done) then put the top race of the headset on, the a 1” headset spacer in whatever height needed, then the truss rod bracket, then key washed and nut. Likely won’t be too noticeable once built and you avoid having to change the length of the truss rods

All good thoughts, but let me add another. If the head tube isn't that much shorter, you may be able to increase the curve of the truss rods with a tubing bender and get them to fit without cutting any off the end. That may look cool on a "bit of a ratty build." Have fun!

Latest posts

Back