Monark Special Cruiser/ Firestone Special Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dug out a Monark Special Cruiser the other day and started to do some research on it...what year, etc. What I've found out is that prior to making the Firestone Special Cruiser, there was a Monark Special Cruiser. One of the big differences is the emblem on the chain guard. In the case of my bike, there is a little plastic insert with a crown. The Firestones had an F painted on the chain guard in the same spot. The ID numbers are stamped on the bottom of the crank, but I can't read them. Can anyone give me more information about when Monark made the Special Cruiser? The head badge is rusted, although, I can see "Special Cruiser" on it, I just can't read the rest. The chain guard says "Special Cruiser". Any help would be appeciated. Thanks
Update: I thought I'd send some links along. First time trying to put pics in a message. I don't think I did it quite right, but you guys are smart :) http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums...leansFlyer/?action=view&current=DSCF3541.jpg
http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff399/NewOrleansFlyer/?action=view&current=DSCF3547.jpg

DSCF3547.jpg

That chainguard is a '53 or later. Sometime in the mid 50s, they stopped using the aluminum ID plates, and 55 and later were all middleweights. Snyder (Rollfast) started building Firestone bikes for the 1959 model year, and made them for a couple years after. -Adam

axsepul said:
might be one of the last monarks built by huffy

It could be, though they quickly used up the leftover Monark parts within a year or so of them buying Monark in late 1957. Later ones were all Huffy except the name. They reused the Silver King name around then too. -Adam

FINALLY!!! I got some off ths off the crank housing on the frame. The numbers are 9A262 1607019. There is no plate down there, just these numbers stamped into the frame. Anyone know when this was built with this information?? Many thanks

Latest posts

Back