Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
I've actually always liked thin white walls so the Sunlite tires worked out great for me. :D

It was quite a contrast when I held a stock tire in one hand and a Sunlite tire in the other.

What's funny is that I set the stock tires over in the corner of the garage and I keep seeing them thinking...why are those car tires over there? :lol:

A second later I remember they aren't car tires at all.
What tire pressure did you put your new tires to?

I saw these brake bosses on MTBR.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... tegory=703

6481735357_c2b325a7c8_o.jpg

They seem like they might be the ones that Manuel Beastly used.

793129d1366735911t-mongoose-beast-modifications-beast-brakes.jpg

they look just like Manuel's, huh? canti brakes aren't too expensive or complicated once you figure out how to get posts on the fork...

For taller riders, don't forget the old "bar end bolted to the seat post' trick for getting a ton of set back for the seat.(This is ratrodbikes after all) I doubt the post diameter is small enough, but what about the smaller diameter of the very top?

Gravelo said:
For taller riders, don't forget the old "bar end bolted to the seat post' trick for getting a ton of set back for the seat.(This is ratrodbikes after all) I doubt the post diameter is small enough, but what about the smaller diameter of the very top?
Any pics of this? I can't quite figure out what you are describing.

Bill in Houston said:
Gravelo said:
Any pics of this? I can't quite figure out what you are describing.
Bill, search the How To forum for "Setting the seat back" and look for Outskirtscustoms bike. All it takes is cutting the curve off of a mountain bike bar end, bolting the bar end to the seatpost, and then bolting the seat clamp to the bar end. It gets you back and a little bit down. Again, I think the seat post diameter is too great, but at the very top it may work. Later!

Here is an idea that popped into my head when a bike dude was talking to Yoots and I while we were riding Sand Rover and Fugsley. He was talking about building an adult size Big Wheel.

What about a BEAST WHEEL?!!! You could use two rear OCC Wheels, Jab the sat back at the rear axle and put cranks on the Beast front wheel.
Someone with computer artistic skill should at least do a virtual mock up.

kingfish254 said:
Here is an idea that popped into my head when a bike dude was talking to Yoots and I while we were riding Sand Rover and Fugsley. He was talking about building an adult size Big Wheel.

What about a BEAST WHEEL?!!! You could use two rear OCC Wheels, Jab the sat back at the rear axle and put cranks on the Beast front wheel.
Someone with computer artistic skill should at least do a virtual mock up.

There is an adult size big wheel on the market. Has the same hard plastic tires so you can do spin outs. Saw some being demoed on Ragbrai last year. Then there were guys who tried to do the whole ride on them. They didn't last very long. That's a pretty low gear for road riding. You would need abs of steel for that.
http://www.highrollerusa.com/

rick

Here is my take on the Beast.I de stickerd it,cut off the stock seat clamp,added a new seat ,layback seat post with my own shim,cut the nipples off the tires,blacked out the rims,added a set of pegs,changed the bars and put a RRB head badge decal :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Here is my take on the Beast.I de stickerd it,cut off the stock seat clamp,added a new seat ,layback seat post with my own shim,cut the nipples off the tires,blacked out the rims,added a set of pegs,changed the bars and put a RRB head badge decal :mrgreen:

How did you black out your rims, did you tape off or totally take them apart? What paint did you use also?

I took off the tires and tubes.Then i taped off the spokes and nipples,and layed down a coat of Krylon gloss black paint / primer in the same can,they turned out pretty good just a little fisheye in a few places :mrgreen: while I had it apart i greased the hubs and BB they had some from the factory but not much.

Small update.
I installed an upgraded set of BB cups and bearings (worth the $8).
It's MUCH smoother than the stock unit, and with the heavy stock cranks, any help is welcome.
They are chrome, which is good because I like the look of chrome better for the 'monster truck-BMX' look on this bike.

So, to remove some of black parts (and to avoid spending any money) I hit the stock cranks with a wire wheel to strip the paint and did a VERY quick polish job on the bare metal. No clear coat, just a little spray and wipe of WD-40.

DSCF3803_zps0a5ac7d9.jpg

DSCF3804_zpsed5881db.jpg

DSCF3805_zpsa86ebac5.jpg

Man, I wish that seat tube shim would get here so I can ride it! I try to use US-based eBay sellers and wasn't paying attention when I bought one from Taipei! UUUUGGGHHH! :D

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back