Monoshock BMX and GT Fly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to another yard sale for the Clean House tv show in Pasadena today. The GT is for my 15yo son, paid $20 for it. Forks are bent, but has 3pc cranks, Tektro brakes, and really just needs to be lubed and cleaned. It's gonna replace his Dyno NSX.

The monoshock bike is a mystery. Has Schwinn blade forks, sprocket, cranks, and S seat post clamp.It also has an old school double clamp stem. I cant find any numbers anywhere on the frame. The wheels are chrome steel Arayas with some of the beefiest spokes I've seen on a 20", the front hub says "Chair Japan" and has a small chair engraved on it. The rear hub has a Bendix Mexico 70 brake arm mounted backwards. The frame also has some gussets, and the welding looks pretty good, so I'm not sure if it's a homemade bike or not. The homeowner said it was her hubby's childhood bike, but I didn't talk to him because I was afraid of a higher price.
chbikes001.jpg

chbikes002.jpg

chbikes003.jpg

chbikes004.jpg

chbikes005.jpg

deorman said:
Nose down, swiss cheese chainwheel, flat black, that is foe show a RAT! :wink:

Ya! That's a motorcylce shock. See the spring pre-load adjustment...I like how the upper swing arm rubs against the seat post tube! I'll bet she squeaks reeeelll nice! :lol:

Uh.... that old clunker on top appears to be a Gary Littlejohn Monoshock 2nd Gen. from around 74-75. If she sold that without hubby knowing about it, she might be out on the lawn for sale today. Thats a rare piece of BMX history and you might be amazed what you can get for it. There`s a site called VintageBMX and if you ever want to know anything about BMX bikes, that`s the place to go. If I were you, I would`nt do anything to that bike until I got some answers.

Up the Irons Mates

XXXBMX said:
Uh.... that old clunker on top appears to be a Gary Littlejohn Monoshock 2nd Gen. from around 74-75. Up the Irons Mates

My BAD! :oops: Still in all...It MIGHT be a motorcycle shock... :roll:

I looked on bmxmuseum.com, but didn't know what to look under. I'm sure the guy's kids were riding the bike, because it has Maxxis tires and newer grips. The shock has some writing on it, but I can't read it. I'll check vintagebmx.com too. Thanks to all for the comments and information!! Even if it's not a something desirable, it's definitely different.

Holy cow, I think you guys are right!!!!! There is a frame on vintagebmx.com that is EXACTLY the same but in red. Holy cow, and I'm pretty sure it's 95% original. :D :D

Thanks again to all.

I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. My first instinct was the Schwinn parts were worth it for the price, and I also thought it would make a good companion to a Royce Union dual shock frame I've had about 10 years.(it's more of a motocross looking thing, a swingarm with a vertical shock on each side of the rear wheel). Also, I'm assuming it's mostly original, but really don't know how to confirm that. The Schwinn parts really threw me.

It's definitely my best score so far.

Join the BMX Museum and post it over there quick.

On top of finding out info on it you may also receive several offers.

It is a cool looking bike, but if it puts $300 - $1000 in your wallet you'll be happy without it. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
Join the BMX Museum and post it over there quick.

On top of finding out info on it you may also receive several offers.

It is a cool looking bike, but if it puts $300 - $1000 in your wallet you'll be happy without it. :wink:

Just looked and there is no Littlejohn Mono Shocks at all on Vintage... So this would be a first.... So spill it... How much...????

If you get on VintageBMX, then click on the Museum link at the top of the page, you will find that same bike under the 1974-1975 list on your left under " Gary Littlejohn Monoshock ". I don`t know whats it`s worth, but I`m tellin` ya....that`s a rare piece.

Up the Irons Mates

Latest posts

Back