MONTERATT - Fini

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I actually have two bikes that I've been wanting to do something with. Both were 'started' so to speak, as in cleaned up a bit, but
then were banished to the back of the SHED, while I continue to work at my home grown bike business...that is, fixing up and selling regular bikes to reg'lar people.
We'll see what makes it here...I have a Murray Monterey that I want to take back in time
And, a 70s crusty old Vista Duchess that I've wanted to bring forward in time and give it a new lease on life.

So, we'll kick off with the MOnTERATT...which I collected curbside down at the neighbors trash pile over a year ago, cleaned it up, got it ridable...couldn't decide what to do with it, started to mess around with some truss rods that weren't really making it...so in the shed she went.
MontereyParts.jpg

PartsRider24.jpg

About a month ago or so , or when I heard about this Build Off , I dredged it out.
If I'm taking it back in time, got to skunk it up a bit. Sanded it bare, here and there, didn't want to take all of the color out, just wanted to get rid of that weirdo light pinkish maroon color most of these Monterey's tend to fade to, and started the ol' grungification process.

Prepped_Sanded.jpg

And....let the etching begin.
RustySauce.jpg

I should state that I'm working with basically what I have at hand for parts (as usual), and buying very little, except some donor bikes or other parts as needed. What I'm after is creating a 'generic' looking tank type bike of the era, but not trying to duplicate an exact model. The image below is kind of what gave me the idea. Something like a Murray Meteor or Missile, or...one of the lesser known 'Flites'. the Franco Flite.:grin:
Nothing you'll be able to say.."Oh, I know what that one is"...all we know is that it is a Murray..the frame style really hasn't changed 'all that' much over the years.
MockUPOriginal.jpg

:happy:

I've been drawing up plans for an unknown Murray myself, using a Westport frame.
So since I like your way of thinking on this one, I'll tag along for the ride.

Left it outside, and spritzed it daily with some vinegar, and stepping up to a peroxide vinegar and salt mix. Now, I'm no Odd Job when it comes to rustification, but dayummm..that once smooth frame started to pit up and rust. Funny how different steel rusts differently. I didn't really get any brite orange rust , mostly a grungey darkening with lots of lumpification. Since I didn't know what to expect I thought..hmmmm...well, this is nice.
Let's check on it and see how she's doing.
rustification3-1.jpg
rustification1frame.jpg
rustification2.jpg

Ok..that took it back about 25 years.

What's next? Better start thinking about rims. I don't want shiny rims..uh uh. So I found this old 26" rim with a coaster brake in my 'rim pile'. Perfect. And while I'm at it..how about cleaning and repacking the hub. Why not? I want the old look, with a smooth drivetrain.:thumbsup:
rearbrake.jpg

And just when I was searching for a front, my neighbor brought me this old nasty Roadmaster Journey mountain bike...It was left outside obviously, but I scored a crusty front rim, complete with a bald tire...Love it.
assembly1-24-2.jpg

And....a tank. Gotta have a tank. So, let's go to E_bay. I think I saw one Murray tank from the era...it was OK...but not $80.00 OK.
So, I saw this little sweet tank..maybe y'all saw it too...I eyeballed it..as well as one can online and said.."Yeah, that'll work"..Since it's a generic Monteratt bike..I don't really care much what decals are on it. For $14.99 and a little special sauce, I think it will do the job.
monterat04Tank.jpg

What's next? Better start thinking about rims. I don't want shiny rims..uh uh. So I found this old 26" rim with a coaster brake in my 'rim pile'. Perfect. And while I'm at it..how about cleaning and repacking the hub. Why not? I want the old look, with a smooth drivetrain.:thumbsup:
View attachment 44540
And just when I was searching for a front, my neighbor brought me this old nasty Roadmaster Journey mountain bike...It was left outside obviously, but I scored a crusty front rim, complete with a bald tire...Love it.
View attachment 44541
That's not a bald tire, it's a drag slick.:21:

Once you smooth out the frame and coat it..you lose a lot of the surface rust, but a lot of the deep grunge stays...and the patina is much richer... easier on the eyes now. Still have to mod the back of that tank to get it under the top tube, that should be a snap.
Here's where we're at:
monterat02.jpg
monterat01.jpg
monterat00_9949.jpg
assembly1-24-5.jpg

assembly1-24-1.jpg

assembly1-24-4.jpg

more later
franco

Last edited:
You got a nice multi-color patina out of that rust-ification process Franco! And that front wheel is cool, love the hub flange on that one. Is it the same dimension as the rear wheel? Has the appearance of being slightly larger.

This 'RATT has a great overall vibe. That bent back seat post really follows the flow of the frame. If it was me, I'd lose the wheel reflectors, but the rest of the bike is very sweet!
:thumbsup:

You got a nice multi-color patina out of that rust-ification process Franco! And that front wheel is cool, love the hub flange on that one. Is it the same dimension as the rear wheel? Has the appearance of being slightly larger.

This 'RATT has a great overall vibe. That bent back seat post really follows the flow of the frame. If it was me, I'd lose the wheel reflectors, but the rest of the bike is very sweet!
:thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm always open to opinions OJ...you know that
reflectors...didn't really think of that, see?

I'd have to check I think I have a 1.75 on rear and 1.95 on front..I think most of the tires on the old Murrays, aside from the cruiser bikes were 1.95 ...
I may try to match the size better...depends...I still have a lot of cool stuff to do...and fenders, truss rods, rear rack will mask some of that difference.

The bent back seatpost was jammed in there after I first cleaned it a long time ago...As I recall, I found a piece of galvy pipe end bent like that for a while so it was set and quite stout...I..ummm, don't think it's coming out now...:doh:
have a couple of seats I'm going to match up to the bike..the seat I took off of the old roadmaster Journey looks cool...big aaxx springs..I tore it apart and the inside was water soaked foam and ugg nasty mold etc
stay tuned

Fenders: I only have a few sets around and they are fat ballooner fenders, one set from a Micargi, and some others, I don't know what from... too big to fit. Old fenders on E_bay, forget it, I could buy 10 bikes here for what some folks are asking there.

So I had to go scouting..went to Best Pawn down on Wickham and got this old Cranbrook...look , rusty fenders that will fit.. PLUS...I'll eventually get the Cranny up to speed and just flip it as a fenderless Beach Cruiser...they sell fast here in Floriduh. 17 bucks for the whole bike. Why buy just the udder when you can get the whole cow cheep?
DonorFenders.jpg

Nice score on the pawn buy! Those fenders should match up well with the build.

And, I actually like the difference in the two tires, that's what I had intended to say.
Gives it a real 'rat' look.:nod:

Nice score on the pawn buy! Those fenders should match up well with the build.

And, I actually like the difference in the two tires, that's what I had intended to say.
Gives it a real 'rat' look.:nod:
I'd like to say that's what I was going for OJ, but I think it just kindof went that way because my neighbor decided to drag that old bike into my yard, perfect timing too I might add.
....Right now, it's only a half-rat..I have ideas.:happy:

That tank blends in perfectly. Well done.
Thanks SD...I'm digging the challenge of 'blending' stuff in. Instead of doing faux painting...I'm painting with a scraper, sandpaper, vinegar and peroxide..:bigsmile:

1/30/2017
A
little progress on the Monteratt today. I chopped and re-fit the tank to go under the top tube where it should be.
Nice and easy with the cut off wheel and flap disk, fits in there nice and tight. Close enough, anyway.
Placed one of the rusty fenders on the back from the Cranbrook donor.. Ha.. I got this fender and the stays were cut off on the ends...and there is no bracket to attach at the top..it was just wired on. I'll just tack a couple of washers on the ends of the stays and fab up a a new top frame bracket..or, I may have one laying around have to see.
tankfix1_30_2.jpg
tankfix1_30_1b.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A couple of seat pans soaking in some diluted Mean Green. This stuff is my personal favorite at softening up crud and degreasing. For smaller rusted parts , nuts, bolts, brackets, dérailleurs, etc. I soak in vinegar...and if it's something really nasty and greasy, I'll soak in thinners.
The top one is the guts to the Vista Duchess that I'm also fixing up...the one closest is off of an old Roadmaster Journey that my neighbor dropped off. the foam padding was shot , but it has a real nice stretch rubber or vinyl? seat that goes on like a glove.
SeatFramesSoaking.jpg

Last edited:
Love those old rubber covered messenger saddles, if the padding is still good they're really comfy.

Latest posts

Back