Mopar Nirve Bike Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a search for a cheap second handed bike since I am a student. I found and bought this bike. On the bike it says it’s Mopar Nirve. When I googled the bike, it doesn’t give me a lot of information about it. The only thing i know that it’s limited edition and it’s vintage. Could someone fill me in about it? I’m very curious.

Also, since it’s old it doesn’t have a hand break for the back tire. Instead I have to paddle backwards to stop it. The front tire has a hand break but I’m scared that if I use that on down hill, something bad might happen. I have been practicing to stop with paddling backwards and it’s been working good so far. However I would still like to see if it is possible to get a hand break built for the back tire.

any information helps! Thank you

Attachments

• FC3D73BD-8DE9-4624-866B-01FF01B177CD.jpeg
    FC3D73BD-8DE9-4624-866B-01FF01B177CD.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 94
  • B5544215-B75E-4636-8377-8A44BD9B9DB4.jpeg
    B5544215-B75E-4636-8377-8A44BD9B9DB4.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 94
You don't need to be concerned about the rear (coaster) brake. My cruiser doesn't even have the backup of a front brake like yours, people have been riding that way since forever.
I think you can feel safe using the front as well, the cruiser geometry is relaxed enough that an "over the bars" situation is unlikely. It seems like you are new to cycling, just get out and ride, and you will get more comfortable with your setup.
If you do feel like you still want rim brakes, you will either need to have mounting posts welded on your frame (please don't) or source a bolt on mount like these:
BrakeMounts-Evolution-BLUE__77293.1561679395.jpg

Great bike and a real score. Nice work

As Matti said I wouldn't be concerned about the coaster brake in the rear. Bikes have been that way for ages. In fact if it were mine I'd take the front hand brake off just for symmetry 🤷‍♂️

It's a solid bike with a great past. Definitely a conversation starter

The bike looks in very good condition. If the front brake is adjusted properly it should be fine, just get some practice using it to determine how much effort you need to use. You probably won't need another rear brake.
The rear coaster brake is common, I've had many bikes with that as the only brake. When they were getting worn out it was harder to stop. Yours looks fairly new so it should give you plenty of stopping power. One trick I use to increase stopping power is to push down as usual to apply the brake and I put my other foot under the opposite pedal and pull up. You'll get a lot more stopping power that way if you need to.
The more you ride the more familiar it will get.

The bike looks in very good condition. If the front brake is adjusted properly it should be fine, just get some practice using it to determine how much effort you need to use. You probably won't need another rear brake.
The rear coaster brake is common, I've had many bikes with that as the only brake. When they were getting worn out it was harder to stop. Yours looks fairly new so it should give you plenty of stopping power. One trick I use to increase stopping power is to push down as usual to apply the brake and I put my other foot under the opposite pedal and pull up. You'll get a lot more stopping power that way if you need to.
The more you ride the more familiar it will get.
I was in a search for a cheap second handed bike since I am a student. I found and bought this bike. On the bike it says it’s Mopar Nirve. When I googled the bike, it doesn’t give me a lot of information about it. The only thing i know that it’s limited edition and it’s vintage. Could someone fill me in about it? I’m very curious.

Also, since it’s old it doesn’t have a hand break for the back tire. Instead I have to paddle backwards to stop it. The front tire has a hand break but I’m scared that if I use that on down hill, something bad might happen. I have been practicing to stop with paddling backwards and it’s been working good so far. However I would still like to see if it is possible to get a hand break built for the back tire.

any information helps! Thank you
Mopar Nirve Bike was a contest giveaway, through there dealerships.
I’ve looking for one for quite a while.
Don’t change a thing on the brakes. The rear will stop in wet or dry weather. Nice find!!!

Thank you for all of your replies! I have been riding it since i shared this post and i got used to it very quickly. It is so comfortable to ride. It’s so interesting that it was a contest giveaway! I feel very lucky that I found it and bought it for a good price. Again, thank you all!

Lol I misspoke a little, didn't mean to lead you to believe that i made the frame, I am building a bike using a knock off frame. Glad you like the bike.

Latest posts

Back