Mossberg MX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone know anything about these bikes??? Picked it up at an Estate sale for 20 bucks, almost perfect!!!

dragstermossbergimperial011.jpg

It looks like a Murray made bike from the looks of the pointy rear drop outs.

The twin top tubes and the rear seat stays look very Hawthorne-ish.

Cool bike!

Unchained said:
Cool! The frame looks a bit Snyder-ish...
That's definitely a Snyder frame and chain ring. The rear drops are similar to a Murray, but Murrays don't have fender brace holes in the ends like on this one. I've never heard of Mossberg though! -Adam

I collect Mossberg .22 rifles,so I happen to have a book called "Mossberg,More gun for the money", which is a history of the company. According to this, in early 1973, Mossberg purchased the stock of the HP Snyder company of Little Falls,NY. " At the time we bought Snyder, they mostly made bikes for DP Harris under the "Rollfast" name, as well as contracts for Montgomery Ward. Shortly thereafter, we started selling them to Western Auto, Sears, and other distributors we had contracts with for the firearms and other products"
Mossberg marketed their bicycles under their own brand rather than Snyder. Most of these bikes were sold to the contract market, and were therefore never stamped with the Mossberg name, but those sold to the smaller accounts did carry the Mossberg logo on the frame-a distinctive crest sheild in red,yellow,and blue with armored helmet above the shield and full Mossberg name below the emblem.
Around 1976, Mossberg lost their big contracts with DP Harris and Wards, and closed the bike business.

That's got to be a pretty rare bike. Back in the '70s, Mossberg tried to diversify, and they also made sailboats, and travel trailers,too. None of it panned out, and so they are back to just making guns.

I guess that big "O" in their logo back then was supposed to represent a bicycle wheel.

Latest posts

Back