MotoMag Mongoose should be a 1980

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was told its a 1980-81 by the seller he said it was his bike when he was younger . , I have to confirm that . I went to look at this bike the other day and me and the owner couldn't put together a deal I made an offer and he refused it .
How ever after taking with Rat Rod Steve and describing its condition i was Leary on buying it . How ever he assured me it was still a good deal . With that in mind if the owner got back to me id go for it . And as it was by 24 hours later of seeing it the first time the owner returned my call and accepted my offer . So off i went to pick up the goose !
My very first ever Mongoose LOL

Man, dang.
I don't know what you paid, but I saw a set of those mags at a swap recently for $200.

I paid $400 for a pair of Motomags. They were nice, but as long as they aren't broken it doesn't really matter how grungy they are, they will clean up.
Around here, from what I've seen, you've got about 6 or 7 hundred dollars worth of bike there, at top dollar. Most of it is the wheels. In good complete shape it can be around $900 - $1000, to the right buyer at top dollar.
Now and then someone gets lucky and snags one for $40 at a garage sale, but that's how all things go.

Update overhauled all the hubs and cranks and installed NOS period correct tires . She rides like new !
c5ec0d40644c7aa246523dd6374bd8b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The serial number (under the bottom bracket) will start with a C. That stands for Chatsworth, CA where it was made.

The next letter identifies the month. Jan is A, Feb is B and so on.

The next character in the sequence is the year.

That's a nice survivor. Wouldn't be hard to find a mongoose seat and some winner circle grips to bring it back to original.

If it were mine I would give it (Motomags included) a gentle cleaning, and leave as is. Lots of character in that finish.
Joe

Latest posts

Back