MOTORIZED?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarksA-C said:
Anyone got any updates? I haven't done a darn thing but I am seeing if anyone else has 8)

I was JUST getting ready to ask this. I've made iffy progress, I figured last time I posted to work on my tank buuuut I realized it would be smart of me to sort out my drivetrain issues first. I have a steel Sturmey hub that the pattern and pitch of the spokes wont let stock 2 stoke motor clamps fit (thank goodness cause i hate those) and Pirate Cycles refuses to make a clamp-on mount thatll fit mine :cry: So I'm building my own hardcore permanent mount (sprocket can come on and off). I forgot to bring my camera so next time Ill show pics, its looking pretty fubar but its actually working quite well so far :D

I am thinking that Maybe, JUST maybe, the deadline might need to be pushed back to December 10th maybe? There don't seem to be all that many people in this buildoff, but it does take a long time to make a good quality motorized bike.

MarksA-C said:
I am thinking that Maybe, JUST maybe, the deadline might need to be pushed back to December 10th maybe? There don't seem to be all that many people in this buildoff, but it does take a long time to make a good quality motorized bike.

I could live with that, it doesnt seem that too many people are geared up just yet, takes a while to get things rolling on good gas bikes. Also alot of people appear to have hit a "fund issue" (like $0 budget builds >.>) So unless someone here is pulling a Tony Stark in some cave with a box of scraps, I'd almost say its necessary, maybe even enough to say just as long as its before christmas :?:

SectionEightLife said:
MarksA-C said:

I could live with that, it doesnt seem that too many people are geared up just yet, takes a while to get things rolling on good gas bikes. Also alot of people appear to have hit a "fund issue" (like $0 budget builds >.>) So unless someone here is pulling a Tony Stark in some cave with a box of scraps, I'd almost say its necessary, maybe even enough to say just as long as its before christmas :?:

That would work for me!
Right now my work bench is filled with a project for my friends non-profit charity group. Building a low cost safe box 8)

I started off kind of ambitious considering the lack of funds or spare parts. I've already got one unfinished motor-bike on the back burner. I'm still going to try to scrape together something just before the deadline.

I guess I'm going to start with this Jc Higgins. It has a nice patina already.

p1013614.jpg

Update 1.
I found some more appropriate wheels, sadly the tires and tubes are junk.
jchwhe1.png

I started working on the motor last night. The cylinders transfer ports need a little touching up. A bit of casting buggers left in them and they are kind of uneven. Better flow should provide better performance.
bmcyl1.jpg

After removing casting leftovers.
bmcyl2.png

Bummer about the fuel tank leak. I had got a cool looking tank that I thought would fit between the frame but its too large. I think I'll use one of those little soup can looking mower gas tanks and hang it behind the seat.

Ummmm, how're we doin' here? I'm not gonna lie, I've been tied up. Just had a new '51 Dodge B Series build drop into my lap so Im gonna to high tail it if I want to get this thing done lol. I got that Sprocket mount done but that's about it right now. BUT at least I can say my time hasn't been wasted cause that dodge is being fun to play with - think she'll be my favorite build yet. :mrgreen:

Originally when I started this post I was going to use my bike bug but the thread took months to catch on, and I'm still not done!
Motorized builds are almost too difficult. There are so many things that can go wrong. So if you finish on time you'll be #1 to me!
Really liking the builds- Jack

Eh, it takes some engineuity to make a motor (see what I did there??? :wink:) But bad puns aside not alot of bike guys like 'em. Motorized bikes seem immoral to some, too complicated, taking away from the concept of a bike, or just simply unattractive to others. Yes they are complex and for the most part that's what keeps a lot of people away, but its a shame because the basic theories aren't that hard and with the proper creativity there's no limits to what you can do with them (yes there is more than just boardtrack racer designs out there waiting to be snatched up :wink:)

To be honest though, I pretty much just started assuming this was going to be a race between me and SSG lol ...unless someone else DARES to beat us!!! 8)

Well it's Dec 1st and it doesn't look like anyone is anywhere near done. I guess we can just let it run? Money is tight around this time of year, but no reason to rush now. It might be February or March before we see a finished bike, but I don't see any problem with that since this build off is just for fun. Kind of a mini update but my engine pulled a cylinder stud so I need to get a heli-coil set and some new studs. Apparently you can't even get metric threaded rod locally here so I guess I'll order it from mcmaster carr.

SSG said:
Well it's Dec 1st and it doesn't look like anyone is anywhere near done. I guess we can just let it run? Money is tight around this time of year, but no reason to rush now. It might be February or March before we see a finished bike, but I don't see any problem with that since this build off is just for fun. Kind of a mini update but my engine pulled a cylinder stud so I need to get a heli-coil set and some new studs. Apparently you can't even get metric threaded rod locally here so I guess I'll order it from mcmaster carr.
Kinda what I was thinkin' too. Wish money time didnt get tight right around now but to be fair it's poor planning on our fault for tempting the holiday season with productivity lol. And that's just inconvenient having to order up new rod like that.......but eeeeewww metric!

Doesn't look like we really have a choice :lol: If you guys think it sounds better than a sudden death type deal I'm game, I JUST WANNA GET THIS THING BUILT! I have 6.5 stallions feeding a CVT, which turns those ponies into Clydesdales, set up for a deeepp underdrive that's being overdriven like a madman on a 90lb vehicle. If I dropped my gears down for 1/4 ETs then I could still do 60mph - but shes set for landspeed right now (dont think we wont get to 20 faster then those little china motors though) :mrgreen: . This could very well be the dumbest thing Ive been able to build, already gotten up to 40mph with the bike alone and that was some intense stuff. I wanna play with my fast rotating overpowered pointy sharp thing already! :x

Latest posts

Back