Mountain bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're blowing my mind, Clyde!
I really like your new avatar. My minds been blown for years now. We have company now so it won’t be until about Friday that I’ll be able to resume working on the frame. My son in law named the bike. He took one look at it and said “it’s a Death Trap”. I’m relaxing now, resting on my frame building laurels.
image.jpg

Isn't it great to have Winter projects. Great to relax and be philosophical as well.
Reminds me of my brother. He loved Upper Hand beer and all things Yooper.

These inexpensive bicycles have steel that welds real easy. Maybe they are made out of mild steel? Your lateral brace needs to be down, closer on the head tube to the down tube. They were not high up like a mixtie. Of course it looks like you are thinking in 3D and using the cables to hold it in place. Flatten the tube in a vice and grind off the back so the front non ground part is on the outside of the drops. the back fits tightly in the drop space, Grind it so the part that spread with squeezing to flatten is gone, no expanding out but a nice taper and parallel line.

Last edited:
3353171d-4bab-4a06-b7b2-37499ef0ed6a_2.9983922c7e030f8b95e3cbbe6ebb018a.jpeg

Quite the coLoR SchEme on the Kent Ridgeline single speed!
I hate being "that" guy, but...
Those "Magna" fixies are GARBAGE.
1) front end is short, really really short!
2) head tube is an amazing 75-76°s step which is tighter than most modern freestyle bmxs!
3) my kids rode one A COUPLE HOURS and the frame snapped, no warning, just disassembled doing skids/wheelies.
4) the one we had the headtube was cut wrong, bottom bracket double threaded, from the factory!
I've taken up cutting up these frames and girls Roxie Schwinn beach cruiser frames, they are dangerous.

2) head tube is an amazing 75-76°s step which is tighter than most modern freestyle bmxs!
3) my kids rode one A COUPLE HOURS and the frame snapped, no warning, just disassembled doing skids/wheelies.
4) the one we had the headtube was cut wrong, bottom bracket double threaded, from the factory!
I've taken up cutting up these frames and girls Roxie Schwinn beach cruiser frames, they are dangerous.
That is what happens when a brand new bike is $80. On the other hand, I have seen the Kent ones frin Walmart take a lot of abuse and still work.

A few years ago these Kent single speeds from Walmart had a flip flop hub, now they are free wheel only. Hipsters hate these bikes, which makes me want to buy them.
Based on what I have seen people due to these bikes by spending time in a bicycle graveyard, my guess is someone is dumb enough to just screw a fixed gear cog and a bottom bracket lock ring on to the freewheel hub.
20210225_170333.jpg

Personally, I would advise against this.

Yeah, the fork tube was poorly threaded on this one. My other one was fine. I was aware about frame snapping, especially forks, but my other one has many miles of gravel riding without a problem. I think the tubing is not tightly fitted and they used gob welds to hold it together. The reason I think this is that it doesn’t have a ride feel like a good steel frame, it’s dead. Gravel riding doesn’t include skids and wheelies though. Most of the original welds now have additional layers of gob welds by me. The steel is not the kind that brazes well, but it welds super easy. Welding is so hot that the welded steel is hard and brittle, unless you use TIG. The original welding looks like gas welding and is brittle. I really like steep head angles, I can’t ride the new bikes. As far as short, the bike is made to kinda fit from 5’6” to 6’2”. So it’s a little tall standover for me at 5’7” but everything else fits me fine. Its defiantly a bunch of cheap compromises. It fits well with 26 inch wheels. 165 cranks help with the lowered bb from smaller wheels. Amazingly, both sets of wheels were true and the spoke tension was good enough. It won’t be ridden hard, no downhill racing. The first Breezers were downhill bikes. Easy two track and gravel only, the gearing is too high and no suspension would make it impossible to ride modern single track. It won’t even be geared low enough for most of the two tracks I ride. It will work for gravel and that is where I’ll ride it. I might use it for Hiawatha’s Revenge gravel grinder this spring if I get it far enough along. I’ll probably do the 34 mile version instead of the 100 k or 100 mile. If it brakes on the 34 mile race I’ll be close to home. This is the reason the build is called “Death Trap”.

Based on what I have seen people due to these bikes by spending time in a bicycle graveyard, my guess is someone is dumb enough to just screw a fixed gear cog and a bottom bracket lock ring on to the freewheel hub.
View attachment 153557

Yes you are correct, but they did make the lockring a different size!!! It still threads on righty tighty.....
Out of the cheapo fixie hubs, GULI is the best pos! Sealed and left handed lock ring.

Attachments

• 16171041747343952323586106297524.jpg
    16171041747343952323586106297524.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 85
View attachment 153557

This will come loose. Even proper track cogs can come loose unless they are extremely tight. There is a huge force if you use it for braking. You could try welding the lock ring to the cog as the threading most likely won’t line up. I would suspect that this would just strip the threads when braking.

This will come loose. Even proper track cogs can come loose unless they are extremely tight. There is a huge force if you use it for braking. You could try welding the lock ring to the cog as the threading most likely won’t line up. I would suspect that this would just strip the threads when braking.
I know what you mean. It is not a good idea.

I ran a Suicide Hub on this brakeless fixed gear for a few thousand miles in SoCal with no problem.
1977LeTour12.2.jpg

YMMV

Staying on topic, I have a mountain bike.
aggro.jpg

Photo Credit: Mountain Bike Bill

A few years ago these Kent single speeds from Walmart had a flip flop hub, now they are free wheel only. Hipsters hate these bikes, which makes me want to buy them.
I would still believe that they chose those colors because they want to attract people who ride these.
I think some of the buyers would actually put a fixed cog on that freewheel hub based on what I have seen people do to these bikes. Like weird handlebar and seat angles, aftermarket seatposts that are the wrong diameter, and carbon spacers for threadless headsets on threaded ones.

Beautiful old school mtbs.

It does make me think how much mtbs have changed since the 90s.
26->29
Low bars->Higher bars
Steep hta->Slack
Long stems->short
Front derauillers -> 1x
Rims->Disc

If aliens came to earth, I think they would have a hard time believing that these bikes were all designed to do the same thing.

p5pb19767916.jpg

Latest posts

Back