Mounting front fender with springer fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My schwinn drifter has a traditional schwinn style springer fork. Most bikes I am familiar with use two braces on the front fender so that it moves with the wheel as the spring compresses and expands. Mine came assembled with only one brace (at the bottom) and the top of the fender is attached to the fork crown. Is this appropriate? It seems that this would restrict the movement of the suspension and put extra wear and tear on the bracket that attaches the fender to the fork crown. Picture below:

spin_prod_748345512

I think i would like to purchase some sturdier fender braces and decouple the fender from the fork crown. Can someone recommend a GOOD set of braces that will support the fender with a small (single D-cell) fender light attached?

again those fender braces aren't meant to carry the fender..
On older Schwinn, such as Phantom, Panther and Wasp.. there is a pivot bracket that mount fender to underside of crown.. look like this
140597832731.jpg

this will allows fender to move with fork without any binding, while braces is there to keep thing steady..

Does anyone have a picture of the hole i the fender that this part mates with. i ant to see how it attaches so i can modify mine to use this cip

Does anyone have a picture of the hole i the fender that this part mates with. i ant to see how it attaches so i can modify mine to use this cip
I could post some pictures of that region..
lower end of steerer tube, where the bolt goes through.. the clip hang on to it, and attached to fender with a fender bolt.. must have a bit of space for the fender to rock with springer motion without binding.. This is best that I can do.. these photos are copied from internet..
DSCN1897.jpgoriginal_zps0tykj33d.jpeg

panther2_zpss3sjniah.jpg

I don't know how are modern forks are made these days..

Last edited:
OK, I see how that works now. That is a GREAT design... now they're using a thin L-bracket that just flexes when the springer moves, it's pretty lousy in my opinion. This gives me an idea thought, if I mount some type of t-shape bracket to the fork crown, I can use a clip like that. Thank you for helping me understand how this works, I REALLY appreciate it!

OK, I see how that works now. That is a GREAT design... now they're using a thin L-bracket that just flexes when the springer moves, it's pretty lousy in my opinion. This gives me an idea thought, if I mount some type of t-shape bracket to the fork crown, I can use a clip like that. Thank you for helping me understand how this works, I REALLY appreciate it!
you're welcome my friend

Latest posts

Back