Murdered Out Roadmaster - done as she's gonna get pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster

Nice looking steed so far. The shiny on black is solid. One of the cool things about that fork, if you can adjust the sag, you've some play with the stance. Cool.

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster

Got the headset in, now just have to black-out the lettering, making some progress on the tank removing dents, rust and paint. The pitting on the chrome side has me thinking wire wheel at this point.

IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg

Found some cheapo $10 driving lights might make a good headlight kindof an art-deco look, I think the halogen bulbs would have melted these pretty quicly as they are completely plastic, will get LEDs. Had an old headlight with a possible mounting bracket was going to use the aheadset expander to mount under fork but I think I'm just going to ream the bracket out and mount under the stem. can't easily get it flush. Need to prep and paint the mounting bracket.

IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster - update 5/27

dude this thing's looking good.

those forks are it. great lookin bike.

Outlaw

herr_rudolf said:
what a cool light...
I love bicycles build out of non-bicycle parts. Especially when it looks way better that way. Good job. You already have a beautiful bike.
Keep it up!
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
dude this thing's looking good.
OUTLAW said:
those forks are it. great lookin bike.
Outlaw

Thanks! Not too much progress, been splitting time with my Elgin build and any painting I want to do I'm holding off until our May-gray/June-gloom, heavy humidity/fog/drizzle clears up. But I did clean up the tires with this stuff called "Beyond Black" worked pretty good didn't even reflect the flash that good(spokes need some touch up paint also). Got the LED into the headlight although this bulb is longer than the halogen, need to figure something out so I can close the 2 halves together, rounded up a tail light from the parts pile, that'll get mounted to the seatpost I think, something minimal. Figured out that a 1inch steerer tube spacer fits in teh pocket under the fork so I can use the bracket as originally planned looks better down there anyway.

IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster - update 6/2

Slow progress, but finally got the inside of the tank halves prepped, all rust is gone just need to prime and use the undercoat treatment as I did on another tank, shown here measuring up the battery configuration.

IMG_1184.jpg

Here's the problem with the LED replacement for the halogen, the pins are almost out the back of the housing, but I'll use the wire grommet turned around and a couple of d-sub female pins crimped to the wire from the tank, a bit of heat shrink tubing and maybe a backfill with black RTV.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Took another pic of the cleaned up tires outside for a better comparison

IMG_1186.jpg

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster - update 6/8

Those wheels are truly good looking!! I think this will be a very nice bike!

Re: Murdered Out Roadmaster - update 6/27

Galtbacken said:
Those wheels are truly good looking!! I think this will be a very nice bike!

Thanks! Just a bit of progress sanded and repainted the stanchipn arch to get rid of some rock dings. Painted the white outof the headset and got that mounted put the wheels on for a mock-up. One problem did surface the bars/stem combo allows grips to smack top tube. Either need more rise in bars or stem, have to scour the parts pile. Found some black socket cap screws to replace the chain adjusters, but couldn't find 7mm socket caps for the headset anywhere so I'll probably swap that out instead of the bars.

The ubiquitous garage shot, really bright out today, so I took it over by a tree out front. Need muted lighting will replace these shots later
EDIT:Shots updated

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

sinister!
me likey!

paint it black, much! sweet!

Looking good man, great build so far, can't wait to see the final product.

you have some crome on it. ya need to paint all thet black. otherwise i like it.

Outlaw

tomb said:
sinister!
me likey!
Markm said:
stretch said:
paint it black, much! sweet!
rustydawg said:
I'm liking it too, I think I'll do a black-out ride soon.
benz said:
Looking good man, great build so far, can't wait to see the finla product.
Thanks!
OUTLAW said:
you have some crome on it. ya need to paint all thet black. otherwise i like it.Outlaw

Umm, not done yet?

Anyway, getting ready for the tank needed to figure out some blackened hardware, the small end had some custom screw hardware that needed replacing as the screws had been slowly ruining the shoulder for the countersink, came up with a 3/8-16 rod coupler to 1/4-20

IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg

Original screw, damage to tank
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1234.jpg

New black screws, nice flush fit
IMG_1235.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg

What I'm looking at doing is gloss black the tank, then on the inset an Aluminum perforated sheet with a smoked paint coating, having trouble finding the sheet material local may have to go ebay.

try going to ace hradware, aco hardware, home depot, or lowes. they'll probably have it. if not google a local metal shop. :)

Latest posts

Back