Murray Eliminator 24x20 Build Could use some Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I tightened up the caliper and mounted it, and it actually is working fine no play at all. Also I sanded all the little crash marks off the brake levers and polished them.
More Good news, I tried the front fender from a Ross Apollo parts bike and it actually fits so I now have the front fender all set. Just need to get the back mocked up.

NOW THE BAD!!!
I had a crazy afternoon, between having to fix a leak in the pool, then a sump pump burning out, and fixing a broken drier door, I was annoyed and exhausted. I figured Id unwind by working on the bike. Well around 9pm I was polishing the arm for the rear caliper and it flew out of my hand. It must have taken off like a pop fly because I was already on my hands and knees looking for it when I heard it land on the roof of the garage. So I climbed up on the roof and was looking around with the light off my cell phone and couldnt find it. Hopefully I'll be able to find it when the sun comes up tomorrow... Otherwise this build might be dead in the water... I already tried the Dia-compe caliper off the Apollo and I tried ebay for another excel caliper. I may really have screwed my self.

I lose stuff like that all the time haha! Nuts and washers down the garbage disposal are something I do on a regular basis.

Well couldnt find it, but I did find half a Dia-Compe that worked so I bolted the 2 halves together. Now the problem I tried to unscrew the little bracket that the brake cable threads into. What is it called I want to try and buy another one? I went to the local bike shop and all they had was D shaped ones. I bought one in case but its slightly longer. Heres a pic of what I am talking about.
IMG_3231_zpssl3mf5a4.jpg

That's the 'Tension Adjuster Mount' (I'm making that up, but it sounds good) The one in your hand is broken, if you didn't know. The housing sets into the tension adjuster, which screws into the mount in your hand. I've seen several break just where yours is broken. Also, it looks like the threads on your mount are broken off as well? So you would need the mount, the nut that hold the mount in place, the tensioner and the tensioner lock nut.

I like that name Crash made up there ha.

If you need a new brake, I have NOS Excel Raceur brakes, with cable and brake handle if you want to upgrade.

Also, found the stem finally. Send me your email and I will send you some pictures.

I do need the whole Tension Adjuster Mount lol. When I tried to remove the nut that holds it to the caliper it snapped off.

RFeagleeye will those excel calipers fit in the rear? I think my rear one was originally an Excel GrandPrix. If you want I can measure it for you

Nope, you are correct, they are different sizes the Raceur is smaller than the Grand Prix. Do you need the rear caliper too?

The front is polished rebuilt and already on the bike, I just need the rear caliper. Also incase the bike shop doesnt have them what is the piece called that the cable jacket sits in and threads into the "Tension Adjuster Mount".

So far I struck out at 2 bike shops going to try another one on the way home today. I took the bike for a ride yesterday and it rides really nice. I hate the 11 inch stem I put on it, it moves the handle bars a little to close to me. Heres a pic of how it looks at the moment.

Murray%20almost%20complete_zpsngrrmene.jpg

I assumed that it sat the same way as the original, Ill give it a shot tonight after I change the brakes on my car.

Also Im getting kind of frustrated with this whole caliper situation. Are sunlite calipers any good?

I'll check to see if mine will fit. I think mine might be off a Weinmann, but I'll check for fit on my set.

If not, a Sunlite caliper will work, it will just look "different" if you're doing a full restore to original. If you're just doing a fix up to ride, then it won't be an issue.

I am looking to restore it to original but I really want to ride it when we leave for the shore in 2 weeks. So I may have to settle for some cheapo calipers. It seems the excels are like impossible to find.

I have been looking on and off for another frame so I can try to build a restomod type bike later on.

So I got the shift lever back from the platers and new cables all installed from the local bike shop, I checked everything on the bike before I left even took it for a nice ride, and left for the beach this morning... Bad luck again, the shift knob fell off some where on the Garden State Parkway..... Does anyone know where I can find one? This pretty much ruined my day...

Latest posts

Back