Murray MONTERATT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A very little known early Murray tank bike, because it's really a no name Murray. :happy:
I have a bunch of older Murray Bikes and Huffy Cruisers. This one, I started to tinker with over a year ago, but it never went anywhere...until this Buildoff. I had most of the parts from a rather clean somewhere in the 90s Monterey, always wanted to 'age' a bike..and here are the results. What fun. Not only fun, it's actually the best riding cruiser in the shed.
Here you can see how I aged and built this bike: build thread here:
mrat292WALLFULL.jpg

Where else but on RatRodBikes, can you throw everything you have at a bike, beat it, rust it, crust it, mix some fenders from here, some tires from there , jam an old light on it...and end up with a rather cool new OLD bike ? Unbelievable.
I took it downtown for it's photo shoot the other day...by the waterfront, and couldn't believe the thumbs ups and whistles I was getting. Sortof makes a guy want to do it again sometime.
Lets check it out:

mraleanbluebuilding234shot.jpg
mraleanbluebuildingJPG.jpg
mratatHOPLOMO.jpg
mraunderbluepier1_IPY.jpg
mraunderbluepier4onLedge.jpg
mraunderbluepier3Silhouette.jpg

And, since I was downtown, I couldn't resist taking a pic in front of the birthplace of the Lizard King himself, Jim Morrison of the Doors, right here in Melbourne, Florida. I like the fact that the current owners recently redid the house, but kept the main theme intact. It was re-stuccoed..and a new tin roof. I wonder if Jim would approve.? of the bike, I mean. :happy:

mratJmorrisonbirthHouse.jpg

This to That:
Thistothat.jpg

OK, that's it until next time folks.
Wanna see how I aged and put this New Old Bike together? Ok...If you like you can check out the build thread here:

thanks for looking,
franco

Last edited:
Franco, you have found the rat-isfaction of making something old look even older!
Yes indeed, where else can you find this kind of experience but on ratrodbikes.com.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Nice work! Congrats on crossing the finish line!
Franco, you have found the rat-isfaction of making something old look even older!
Yes indeed, where else can you find this kind of experience but on ratrodbikes.com.

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Nice build! great vintageration :):41::rockout:

My pleasure...and thanks to many of you guys for contributing to the restructuring of my approach to visualizing a build. Seriously...my thoughts before were always....find a cool older, or semi old bike, clean it up, maybe paint a bit, make the chrome shine...you know, make it look good, like a used car salesman does with an old Vega.

Perusing many of the builds from you old rustificators here gave me a whole new headset...and the interesting part is- it takes a bunch more time and creativity..In my opinion..to think about how to vintagarize it (love that one), than it does to just sand and paint and order some new parts...geez, who knew??
:happy:
F.

My pleasure...and thanks to many of you guys for contributing to the restructuring of my approach to visualizing a build. Seriously...my thoughts before were always....find a cool older, or semi old bike, clean it up, maybe paint a bit, make the chrome shine...you know, make it look good, like a used car salesman does with an old Vega.

Perusing many of the builds from you old rustificators here gave me a whole new headset...and the interesting part is- it takes a bunch more time and creativity..In my opinion..to think about how to vintagarize it (love that one), than it does to just sand and paint and order some new parts...geez, who knew??
F.
Welcome to Club Rust. Psi Valva Kappa, the
f-Rat-ernity of rustification! And, what you said is very true Franco.

I believe it would light Jim's fire. It did mine.
View attachment 47696
Welcome to Club Rust. Psi Valva Kappa, the
f-Rat-ernity of rustification! And, what you said is very true Franco.

thanks guys...it was touch and go for a while there...I was starting to eye everything in the house...when my gal starts hiding all of the silverware and house decorations...hey...she could see the lust for rust in my eyes...
deuarypERA.jpg

Thanks G. Carl , I was going to ask you the other day, what do you do with all of those super bikes you create? I mean, besides riding them. do you store them, sell them? You got a wild collection goin' there bro.
130fs358763.gif
130fs358763.gif

Thanks G. Carl , I was going to ask you the other day, what do you do with all of those super bikes you create? I mean, besides riding them. do you store them, sell them? You got a wild collection goin' there bro.
130fs358763.gif
130fs358763.gif
Well... I stripped Fruit Krate down to a sensible rider and gave it to a friend for his grandson...and...I still have the rest of them. I actually have a handful of normal bikes too. lol. Right now I have bikes in two garages! I don't know, I should let a few go I suppose, I've had my fun building them. ;)

Carl.

Well... I stripped Fruit Krate down to a sensible rider and gave it to a friend for his grandson...and...I still have the rest of them. I actually have a handful of normal bikes too. lol. Right now I have bikes in two garages! I don't know, I should let a few go I suppose, I've had my fun building them. ;)
Carl.

More wrenchin' than ridin' . Ain't it the truth.
funny-maintenance-pic.gif

Good looking bike you built. Age and Beauty all in one & if it's your best rider you can't beat that . [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good looks bike you built. Age and Beauty all in one & if it's your best rider you can't beat that . [emoji1303][emoji1303]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks G matt, redoing all of the bearings, cleaning repacking the coaster hub, true the wheels, all of that due to the buildoff makes it run so smooth...and really, for whatever reason it has just the right fit. I thought it would just be a..you know, novelty...but it turns out it's the Ace in the deck..
F.

Latest posts

Back