Murrrat ...a few shop notes...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike has sat in a closet in the darkest corners of the basement. A hideous, uncool freak of nature, teeming with rust (not even the 'good' kind, just sharp slivers of cheap chrome peeling off). I only have it because it was part of a lot. The challenge: Make something cool out of it! I was gonna call it "Feida da Rat", then I had a better inspiration! Stay tuned for some closeups of that fine Chinese chrome work, and more! ~Adam
SUNP0012.jpg

Re: PURPLE FEIDA EAT'R

Rustinkerer said:
...A hideous, uncool freak of nature, teeming with rust...
That's what makes it such a kool project 8)

Should be interesting,can't wait to see what you do w/ it!

Ok, so it was a rainy day here, had the day off, so i spent an afternoon in the basement! Stripped it down, and contemplated the pile o'rust I removed: Surprisingly, I didn't havey problems with the bolts! Toughest thing to remove were the crank arm pins. After I got the chain case apart, I got a surprise!
SUNP0007-3.jpg
I thought about changing it's name to the Phoenix, but i think JoeyMac already built one called that. I had some time to think about what I wanted to use on it, and made a mockup:
SUNP0006-4.jpg
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout, Willis!! ..And, these:
SUNP0009-1.jpg
SUNP0010-1.jpg
Oh yeaaaah! Smell what I'm cooking? :lol: ~Adam

hope your keeping it a girs bike. thats 3 so far. we need to beat up on the little boys.lol

Outlaw

hope your keeping it a girls bike. thats 3 so far. we need to beat up on the little boys.lol
Well, I can't weld anything in per buildoff rules. I was thinking about taking a tank, and making some kinda extension. Like a kiddie convertible bike. But we'll see. ~Adam

THAT SADDLE MAKES ME BLISSFUL, EXASPERATED, LETHARGIC, ANGRY, GIDDY, UNINTELLIGENT, MERRY, HOSTILE, AND HAPPY !!!!!!

hows the purple beast coming along?
So far, I've sanded down the rust on the frame, and cut out the rear fender brackets, so I have some tire clearance. Hopefully that's not a rule breaker. I was also looking at a Columbia girl's tank, that I'd like to modify into a top bar. Of course, that will involve welding, so it'll be a 'phase 2' mod. It'll really go well with the lines of the bike, and the Phantom chainguard, which I also sanded and sprayed w/rust converter. Perhaps today, primer! ~Adam

With all the step through frames being entered (not that there's anything wrong with it :roll: ) maybe it should have been an all girls frame build...I dunno...but I'd bet Outlaw would concur! Maybe sometime in the future we should have a build contest such as that! But I'm really excited to see how this build comes out...way cool chainring...GREAT start Rustinkerer...Pappy 8)

Update:5/25

Soooo, some progress has been made, despite a hacking case of bronchitis! The frame itself is painted except for the purple accents. And some purple on the chainguard. Some gains made on cleaning up some wheels that'll be painted purple too! The big limiter is the Carolina weather, which is currently interrupting the Coca Cola 600, about 40 miles south of here. More rain than should be legal! Slowly but surely, the Purple beast will emerge from the basement! ~Adam

Re: PURPLE FEIDA EAT'R(update new frame, & name)

Soooo, I realized when I tried to put the sprocket back on that I bent the Fieda frame stays out too far. It's kinda tweaked too. I can fix it, but don't have the time or patience right now! :shock: So, for a stand in, I grabbed my Murray Klunker project aka Mudklunk, and stripped it down. Here it was in it's last configuration:
SUNP0036.jpg
It has killer patina, but it's more of a candy apple red (under the flat black) than the burgundy I thought it was. So the purple parts aren't gonna fly. However, I was diggin' thru some parts boxes, and found a tank that'll fit (flipped girls' tank), and other goodies. Still using the Flightliner springer! I'm thinking maybe some crusty chrome fenders and a rear rack too. Someone was commenting about the lack of rattiness on this BO's entries recently, and this one will help balance that out!! :mrgreen: New name: Murrat! ~Adam

Re: PURPLE FEIDA EAT'R(update new frame, & name)

wow cutting it close. good luck with the build and hey i thought i was carrying the ratty flag with my build at least :mrgreen:

Re: Murrat meets paint 7/19

Today, had some quality bike time, and got paint on the Murrat! Ivory accents on the frame, Krylon cherry red on the tank, rack and front rim, and more filler primer on the Schwinn chainguard! Also swapped the crankset for a slightly smaller one, complete w/ freshly greased bearings! I'ts all coming together muhuuhuuuahhh!
SUNP0003-2.jpg
SUNP0004-4.jpg
SUNP0002-2.jpg
SUNP0007-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back