MuscleBeachChopper(ette)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the front end and tank. I am using an 86-87ish. Its cool to see how differnt the same model is from one decade to the next. The front half of the frame is the same but the rear drop outs are and diffent angles and heights. good luck on the pink. Its been a hard color for me to paint.

Re: MuscleBeachChopper(ette) - best parts revealed

So, while the Mrs. and my daughter were at some festival last night, I took the opportunity mess around with her bike.
First, some more parts...I plan on giving 'shout outs' on who I got things from on the 'finished' thread.
Spaceliner rear reflector (and concept of adding LEDs for turning it into a tail light)
3881.jpg

spacelinertaillightconcept.jpg

The best part of the whole build......a Phantom headlight! (I know it's gonna take some work :roll: )
DSCF2514.jpg

Got set of wide fenders from Rini Enterprises. The quality is good and they're painted so it will be easy to paint over them.

There were indents in the front for a fork already and the rear will need to 'tweaked' to fit the rear (too wide). When I set them in place as is, I got a surprise.....street sweepers! Wadda you think? Leave'em?

mockup03.jpg

P.S. PLEASE ignore the condition of the 'lab' :oops: I've got family visiting soon and it has become the 'dump' as well :?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for all the kind words.
It looks like I've worked out the headset/fork stuff. After that, the only major component to work out (with my skill level) will be receiving the Nexus 3-speed caoster from ind-chuckz and relacing the rear wheel. Still need to 'tweak' a set of truss rods for it. So, I feel pretty good about the 'basic' bike'. My plan for the Phantom light will invovle using a drafting tool called a 'flexible curve' to transfer the curvature of the fender to the light, then fire up the Dremel! The Spaceliner reflector will be easier, just some minor mods needed there.

P.S. Now that most the 'secrets' have been revealed, here's the concept drawing I did about 4 months ago. :roll:
Sarabike01.jpg

Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, some more parts came in this week....so I 'stole' a few minutes and snapped some pics.

New Nexus 3 speed coaster hub
DSCF2774.jpg

New white 'Krate-inspired' bowtie pedals, the sweetheart sprocket (I put a few coats of gloss clear on it to prevent that Chinese chrome from rusting up too quickly) and a crank is from a 67 Sting-Ray. It was in typical 'rider' condition when I got it (sorry no 'before' pics). The chrome on the non-sprocket side was gone from being laid down countless times, so I cleaned up as best I could, roughed up the remaining chrome, and sprayed it with 5 coats of 'chrome' rattle can, followed by at least 5 coats of gloss clear. hopefully, it will hold up for a while..... :roll: But, for now it's shiny and smmmmooooth. The silver crank will look good with the alloy rims.
DSCF2770.jpg

DSCF2772.jpg

DSCF2771.jpg

Oh well, back to my 'honey do' list... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

So that's how chrome in a can looks :| Well, looks good :mrgreen: Lets see it on the bike :p

In due time, in due time.. :mrgreen:
I'm a long way away from any more assembly, I need to find the link to one of those spoke calculators now.. :roll:

This will be my first attempt at lacing a wheel, wish me luck!

Cheers,
Dr. T

BWL...Built With Love.
Don't get any better then that!

Re: MuscleBeachChopper(ette) front end mock up

Well, a small but key update.
As I stated in the intro to the project, this bike will have elements of several 'styles' of bicycles. So, what says vintage cruiser more than a set of truss rods (yes, with the triple tree fork)?

When I designed this bike (sorry, I plan stuff out ahead of time), I knew adapting the OCC fork and truss rods would be one of the biggest challenges, I'm pretty happy with the results.
About 6 months ago, texasbigjon passed on some 'bike karma' and hooked me up with a set of truss rods from a girls Elgin. All it took was opening the holes in the brackets to fit the 1 1/8" steer tube and a visit to a big vice and a couple of extra hands (Double Nickle and DonOne) and they were bent to fit.

DSCF2822.jpg

DSCF2821.jpg

DSCF2820.jpg

DSCF2824.jpg

Sweet huh? I couldn't help myself, I went ahead and mocked up the whole front end (sans the fender and light).

DSCF2825.jpg

DSCF2827.jpg

DSCF2826.jpg

Everything is really solid, so this part is 'finished' until teardown for paint/polish.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Lookin' good Doc :D Really liking the struts with the forks :wink:

I don't know how I missed this build for so long, but I like everything about it. The reason behind this build, the merging of three styles and the progress so far.

You good Dr. have got me coming back for more. :)

Latest posts

Back