MuscleBeachChopper(ette)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree, it's looking real good.
I had a question about the tank though. Will it obscure the stenciling you've done excellently ? Will it have coordinating designs on it, or will you still use it at all ? You haven't mentioned it or shown it since mock up, so I got wondering... Looking Great though....

What an excellent question! My plan is, like 'stock', to have the tank cover some of the stencil. That's why I'm not losing any sleep over them to being perfect.
Kinda like this:
060910_bischla54hor1sm.jpg

whoinphx said:
I have to agree, it's looking real good.
I had a question about the tank though. Will it obscure the stenciling you've done excellently ? Will it have coordinating designs on it, or will you still use it at all ? You haven't mentioned it or shown it since mock up, so I got wondering... Looking Great though....

It's looking great Dr. T! She's gonna be one proud little girl to ride that bike when it's all done.

I've been thinking of building a mini-Phantom on a Stingray frame and this build might just inspire me to do that. A while back I sold off a perfect pair of 20" fenders for this kind of build, and now I want to find another pair...

Best of luck to you!
--Rob

Looking for your opinions on this design decision.
I have paint masks for both of these styles of fork darts.
#1.
Bwg9eqWkKGrHqRigEv10FgeMBMJSfIurPQ_3.jpg

#2.
KGrHqMOKpQE1qmfnzfBNeE6u87gw_3.jpg

#1 is the 'iconic' style, easily recognized as 'Schwinn'. The other, a little less common....hmmmm...
I think either would look good in hot pink on the chrome fork legs. Since I'm 'kinda' going with a 'factory one-off look', I'm leaning toward #1.
Wadda ya think?

Cheers,
Dr. T

JUST TO BE DIFFERENT I'D PICK #2. CUZ THEY'RE EXPECTING TO SEE THE USUAL. :idea: CUE ROD STEWART'S VERSION "THE GREAT PRETENDER"

I hear ya both and agree, but they look a little 'amateurish' to me, just three straight lines, heck I could have come up with that!
I guess, I want it to be recognizable as a Schwinn. I dunno, I probably I'll decide right before I paint them. :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

I too like sample #2. But I'm kind of unconventional & wierd anyway. (That's what my wife says anyway!) Either way you go doc, it's gonna look really good! 8) 8) 8)

bikebuilder said:
I like #2 as well. It looks older. Older is better....sometimes. :D

A dear friend used to say: better three 20 years old than one 60 years old... dunno what he was talking about :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like #2 too.

I'M GLAD I PICKED THE ONE SHE LIKES. :) YOU HEARD THE LADY...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Re: MuscleBeachChopper(ette) - assembly begins

Well, after she inspected the actual paint masks for the fork darts, she decided to change her mind, again (I swear I didn't steer her towards this style). So, before she did it again, I taped up and sprayed on the darts using white gloss appliance epoxy enamel topped immediately with gloss clear. The initial plan was to go pink on them, but the other decals/lettering/pinstriping will be white, so I went with it. They came out pretty nice.

DSCF2932.jpg

closeup:
DSCF2931.jpg

Next I applied a few coats of gloss clear to a Schwinn 'Chicago' headbadge I picked up at the Cycology bike show for a mere $2. I used the cassette tape screw trick, worked perfectly. I did have to grind them down inside the head tube, not much clearance in there with the 1 1/8" steer tube on the forks.

DSCF2929.jpg

DSCF2927.jpg

I also pressed in the BB and steering cups in, will install the crankset and forks tomorrow.

Getting closer to a roller.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Your wheel is done! I saw it today at boneshaker. Hamlet was quite happy with his work. He also felt the need to explain how your hub works :roll: :lol:

Latest posts

Back