MuscleBeachChopper(ette)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rsHTTK2U5q70yincOwBL6ILHo6_500.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Sorry for the pun, but, there may be light at the end of my tunnel. I was inspired by a little trip to eBay land.

I guess we'll 'see' what happens next!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Good, can't wait to see what comes of your inspiration, bike is looking good!

Sorry about the double post, sometimes satellite internet service is very unpredictable. :oops:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Sorry for the pun, but, there may be light at the end of my tunnel. I was inspired by a little trip to eBay land.

I guess we'll 'see' what happens next!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Can't wait to see what comes of your inspiration. The bike is looking really great!

Re: MuscleBeachChopper(ette)-lights are on!

OK, I'm feeling a LOT better now, about the lighting anyway. :D
I mentioned eBay land, well, I did a search on LED lighting and found this 12 LED dome light replacement bulb (I believe they are called festoon bulbs), with shipping $2.70.
LEDdomebulb.jpg

Then i started looking for festoon bulb holders, well the cheapest one was around $7, not bad, but let's go to the auto parts store to see if they had any. They didn't and all the lights there were single wire (grounded to the car). but wait, what's this? a 4 pack of fuse blocks for $3!, that's only $.75 towards the light (plus 3 more for the future)
fuseblock.jpg

With a little 'persuasion' the bulb was pushed down into the holder and viola! We have light! Now the pics get crappy because my camera stinks.

DSCF3017.jpg

Lit up!
DSCF3013.jpg

Under the old Spaceliner reflector.
DSCF3015.jpg

A tail light for under $3.50!

Now, as for the headlight, haven't quite got it figured out, but it may start with this $2.90 purchase.
LEDstring.jpg

I'm having some 'issues' with my diverticulosis and a bum knee, which is slowing me down, but I think we just might make the dealine!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. T: You are the definition of creativity on a budget. Sometimes I wonder how you come up with this stuff! (jealous) 8) :mrgreen:

GOOD GOING DOC!! NICE LIGHTS. HEY I HAD DIVER TOO AND NOW A BUM ELBOW,BUT I CAN'T COMPLAIN. C-YA AT THE FINISHED PAGE...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Nice looking light. I'l have to file that idea away for future use.

Spent some time after my MRI working on the fenders, got the rear fender in color and clear (most of it anyway). Marked the front fender for trimming (to avoid the street sweeper look). I laid the rear fender over it and traced the curve. Just need to swing by Home Depot to pick up a new cutting wheel for the Dremel.

DSCF3019.jpg

DSCF3020.jpg

Gonna have to deviate from the plan slightly on the front light to make it, but I should get it finished. I just ordered an extra fender brace, estimated delivery date 7/27 - 8/1! UUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!

At this point, I'm building a list of things to do (my dealine is now July 30th for the Coasters show). Well, better get back to it!

Hopefully have some new pics tonight.

Cheers,
Dr. T

This is gonna be sweet Doc. :D Good luck on getting your parts in time :wink:

Re: MuscleBeachChopper(ette) - it's a roller!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
and a better quality finished shot
DSCF2966.jpg
Nice bike, Dr. T!
Lovin' the color scheme! You did a cool job converting the reflector . . . and that's a good start for a headlight, I'm exited to see what you come up with next!

Just written..
Being in IT (kinda), I have access to network cables, so I'm working on wiring the rear light with a white CAT6 cable so it matches the shifter cable and due to the thicker size, hold it in place with cable clips.

Got the final coat of flat clear on the rear fender, I'll steel wool it and tape off the pink accent on the tip tonight.
I did trim the front fender last night too (gotta love a Dremel with a new cutting wheel), while I was re-drilling for the fender brace, I decided to add a second one. Hopefully, it will see brown paint tonight too.

anticonformity,
Thanks for the kind words, unfortunately, with the deadline looming, I'm going to have to go a little more traditional with the headlight, but have no fear the Phantom will return on another build (I already trimmed it to fit a 20" fender so.....)

Hopefully they'll be pics tonight.

Cheers,
Dr. T

i hate it when you have cool ideas but run out of time. i am there too with mine. bike looks sweet

Well found out I'll be having knee surgery on 8/1, so I'm under the gun now.

Yesterday's and today's (so far) progress.
Taped off the rear fender (not overly impressed with the overly priced Frog tape :roll: )

DSCF3021.jpg

Painted, wasn't planning to pinstripe it like this, but the pink got a little screwed up, so the tape is covering the evil. Turned out nice, happy accident I guess.

DSCF3022.jpg

Installed the rear lighting unit

DSCF3024.jpg

Spaceliner reflector-turned-taillight installed and a few overall pics
DSCF3025.jpg

DSCF3026.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3029.jpg

Oh yeah, cleaned up the battery holder in the tank, stripped, rust reformer, primer. black gloss epoxy.
DSCF3023.jpg

That's about for now. Got one coat of color on the front fender, hopefully get that knocked out tomorrow, just waiting on a brace to mount it up, then just mate the NOS Shimano 333 shifter to the Nexus, finalize the wiring for the rear light and I think it will be finished!

Cheers,
Dr. T

That light turned out great.
This whole build is looking sweet!!!

Latest posts

Back