My 24" SpaceLiner, (The StarFighter) up for grabs!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first bike I've built from the frame up, so it's been an exciting journey for me.

Here is what I started with:
2384020909_70e3d73dc1.jpg

I picked this up from Joe (yeshoney), turns out he lives a couple towns over. I got to see his sweet collection first hand when I got this. Impressive lot of bikes.

I wanted a custom look, so I looked around for parts for my build, and my searches eventually led me to eBay. I know how some folks feel about ebay but I was able to find most of the parts I wanted for pretty cheap. It ended up turning into a sort of experiment, how much could I found for my project on ebay? And I like the idea that parts came from across the country.

The only problem was the waiting. I got impatient so I did a mockup with parts from a BMX bike found in the trash:
2384021379_ea1af9e771.jpg

That looked ridiculous, so I did another mockup with the 24" wheel from my Spyder, the original saddle and front fender (as a rear fender) from my 26" Spaceliner, and mini-apes that I had on my Varsity:
2384852918_2486ccfc13.jpg

That still looks ridiculous. Luckily the parts started to show up:
2384853138_a5050dc247.jpg

Handlebars from Fargo, ND. The ones with grips and a stem is from a Spyder (like the one I already have). The other pair are Wald and they are going on my girlfriend's lowrider, soon to be entered in the kid bike build off.

2384853480_5016a521a6.jpg

Chainguard from Toledo, OH. Originally from a Spyder as well (different year than mine). Keeping it in the Sears family.

2384023087_6a336daf51.jpg

Seat, Sissy Bar, and Chain from Tulare, CA. The only new parts I bought. The chain is chrome plated.

2384854122_2d34832e89.jpg

a pair of original Spaceliner 24s from Portland, IN.

2384854842_bd7674fe6d.jpg

another wheel from Paris, TX. 24x1 3/8 wheel with '64 Sturmey-Archer SC3 3-speed coaster hub.

2384855564_2b4b913d25.jpg

another hub from Gallant, AL. a Shimano 3CC 3-speed coaster.

I don't know yet which hub and wheel to use. It depends on the shifter and tires I find. If I want to use anything besides the 1 3/8 wheel with SA hub, I'll have to have the wheel built by a pro, but might it be worth it if I have more tire options?
Anyone have any suggestions?

So with most of the parts, I was ready to do another mockup (still borrowing the front wheel from my Spyder):
2384025271_9086a625c5.jpg

the big picture:
2384856196_59fe749e83_b.jpg

I like the way this looks. Now I need to get it together.

Pedals are coming from the trashed BMX, and I found a 24" Spaceliner kickstand as well. I think I am going to need a 24" bobbed rear fender instead of trying to use the 26" front fender. And I am looking at a 3-speed stick shifter on ebay.

I still need to:
- figure out which rear hub and rim to use (and which tires)
- figure out how exactly to mount the sissy bar where there are no sissy bar eyelets.
- wire up a light and horn in the tank.

What do y'all think?

Re: My 24" SpaceLiner build, in Progress

looking pretty cool. is the position of that chainguard just for mockup? it needs to move up a bit...
Looks really neat though, always liked the spaceliners.

Muscle bike! Muscle bike! lol lookin good..

I like it.

Mount the sissy bar through the axle.

WOW. I really like the look of the banana seat with this particular type of tank. Very cool.

I'm also cobbling together a multispeed... just dropped off a 24" MTB rim and a '71 S/A S3C at my LBS today to have the wheel built. I was thinking of trying to lace it myself too--Sheldon Brown's tutorial looked a little scary, but Hugo's made it look like maybe I could actually handle it... then I chickened out. Quick plug--I got the hub from Memory Lane, good deal and great service. Very happy with the transaction.

Looking forward to seeing this progress, and yeshoney's is way cool, I already saved it to my folder of middleweight tanker pics...

--rick

that looks awesome! good ole chrome spaceliners, i would convert the light to LED but if you dont want to, i have the innards to my spaceliner light if you want them, they are a bit rusty but they work. you will have to rewire but its super easy.

Both those bikes look preety cool, yeshoney and yours. Never would have thought of doing that to a spaceliner. But they REALLY look good!

tomb said:
looking pretty cool. is the position of that chainguard just for mockup? it needs to move up a bit...

Yeah, it's not actually attached. I am going to rig up a mounting bracket so the bottom will sit flush with the chainstay.

Hooch said:
Have you ever seen pics of the spaceray yeshoney built?

I hadn't actually seen that before, but I could have assumed I wasn't the first person who thought of putting a banana and apes on a Spaceliner. I sent Joe a message and asked if my frame was the same one as in his version.

fast eddie said:
thats lookin sweet, i really dig multi-speeds nowadays, ill be mockin up my first 3 speed beast over the next week or two and hopefully by the end of the summer ill join you 3 speed'ers!

Since I've just moved to a really hilly area a couple months ago, I have acquired a few different 3-Speed coaster hubs so that I can upgrade and keep riding my cruisers. I can't get too far on the singlespeeds.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am excited about this project, I've been obsessing over it for the last few weeks. Like I said, it's the first bike I've built from the frame up, part of the fun has been tracking down parts and finding exactly what I want. There was one other part that I really wanted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... T.m240.lVI

The auction was up to $50 before the guy cancelled it. I sent him a message and he said that his current best offer was $150. I think I am going to try to build my own out of a few different sized chrome tail lights. It would look pretty sweet on a space-themed bike, like a sort of rocket-propulsion system.

I will be getting this together as soon as I can. Anyone have a suggestion as to which hub to use, the S/A SC3 or the Shimano 3CC?

JoeyMac said:
(snip)

There was one other part that I really wanted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... T.m240.lVI

The auction was up to $50 before the guy cancelled it. I sent him a message and he said that his current best offer was $150. I think I am going to try to build my own out of a few different sized chrome tail lights. It would look pretty sweet on a space-themed bike, like a sort of rocket-propulsion system.

I will be getting this together as soon as I can. Anyone have a suggestion as to which hub to use, the S/A SC3 or the Shimano 3CC?

That big light in the middle looks like an early 60's Chevy Impala taillight...

and if I'm not mistaken, the Shimano 3CC uses an oddball cable that's hard to find (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that)...

--rick

The cable can be hard to find for the shimano. The Sturmey's are a better hub anyway once you get them adjusted.

that tail light is like mine without the turn signals...
100_0813.jpg

thats one nasty lookin ride. me like it.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Very good looking
Put that seat to its original with the red, same as I got! Goes great with my rims

I've been thinking about my tire options, and I was considering just going with the 1 3/8 that the rear tire will take, but I was wondering if I could run the 1 3/8 up front on the original spaceliner rim? I believe that is meant to take 1.75, would the tire even fit? Or will I have to run a mismatched pair if I go that route?

JoeyMac said:
I've been thinking about my tire options, and I was considering just going with the 1 3/8 that the rear tire will take, but I was wondering if I could run the 1 3/8 up front on the original spaceliner rim? I believe that is meant to take 1.75, would the tire even fit? Or will I have to run a mismatched pair if I go that route?

It won't work, decimal and fraction don't mix......lace one of those 3speeds into a new rim so you can use any modern tire you want.

Latest posts

Back