My bike collection

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first purchase, a Schwinn Flying Star. Bought it an auction. Probably paid too much for it ($175), but my wife and I really liked the baby seat and thought that it was cool. Still needs to be cleaned up a little and coaster brake is sluggish. It's my wife's bike. Still looking for a vintage (played with) doll to put in the baby seat. Any idea on the year of the bike?
100_4428%20(Small).JPG

100_4427%20(Small).JPG

100_4426%20(Small).JPG

Second acquisition, a newer Huffy. Got it for free from my father-in-law. Added a Bell brand child seat in the back (only rack pictured) for our 2.5 year old son. He loves riding in the bike with his Thomas the Train helmet on. Need to change out the seat and handle bars. Both are uncomfortable for me.
100_4420%20(Small).JPG

Third acquisition, a Behrens Pink Lady. Bought it for $90 from the same auction place as the Schwinn, but about a month later. Not able to find much info about this bike on the internet, so any info is greatly appreciated. I believe that the bike is all original. All I know is that it was made in Germany. Not sure what I'll do with it. Will clean it up and probably will have another bike for my wife to ride.
100_4429%20(Small).JPG

100_4432%20(Small).JPG

100_4435%20(Small).JPG

Fourth acquisition, a girls Hawthorne. Bought it at a swap meet for $20. Plan is to convert it to a boys bike and restore it for my son to ride when he's old enough. Any clue as to the year?
100_4453%20(Small).JPG

100_4456%20(Small).JPG

Fifth acquistion, a Rollfast tandem. Bought it on Craigslist within hours of being posted. The seller was about 3 miles from my house. Really wanted a Schwinn, but the one that was available at the time (also on CL) was almost 3x as much. Bought this one for $120. Had to do minor clean up, changed out the tubes and added new whitewalls. It's missing the front fender, but I just bought a new set of Walds. Will either use the shorter front or cut down the rear to a more aesthetic length. So far, I rode the bike by myself. Rides like a champ. Is Rollfast a brand name?? What year??
100_4439%20(Small).JPG

100_4442%20(Small).JPG

100_4452%20(Small).JPG

Sixth acquisition, an unknown brand (possibly Hettrick??) kids tricycle. Bought it at a recent swap meet for $80. Plan is to restore it for my son for his 3rd birthday (in July). Not sure of the color combo yet, but leaning towards a two-tone darker red with ivory or cream white.
IMG_0070.JPG

Not pictured yet, but just bought a 50s JC Higgins mens 24". It's a rat, but rideable. I pick it up this weekend.

Also have this bike that I built for my wife's nephew. It's in my "collection" because as soon as he looses interest in it, it will be mine!
TCVSL-IMG_0783.JPG

Lastly, I have this newer spare frame (from the bike built above) that I plan to build. Already have a new set of wheels, white walls, handlebars, seat, with Schwinn fenders and misc pedals coming. Plan is to have it sandblasted, then painted (at a friend's body shop) with a few coats of rust colored primer with black primer over it. Then will sand through the black primer to expose the rust colored primer and satin clear coat the entire frame for that old patina look. Any suggestion on a cool replacement fork (not a Springer) and tank that would fit??
100_4457%20(Small).JPG

Nice collection. I like the Pink Lady too. Did you ever find out more info on the kids tricycle.

cman said:
Nice collection. I like the Pink Lady too. Did you ever find out more info on the kids tricycle.

I couldn't find an exact match, but the closest one was a Hettrick. Although the Hettrick looks similar, it has different wheels. It's possible that I may never find out.

great collection! i think looking at all these bikes (all la ya'lls) has had me dreaming in bikes the past two nights, and in 50's and 60's cruisers none the less and in technicolor. woe is me or lucky me. :mrgreen:

the top schwinn cruiser is sweet. my guess would be mid 60's. i too have my huffy black cruiser, mine a good vibrations 89'. the flying lady really caught my eye. a cruiser with a cottered 3pc crank, id say is a rare find. very nice. dig the others too, but that little trike is giving me too many ideas, on a larger platform. hmmm, guess its dreamin in bikes again. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back