My BSO experience šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always check out the discarded bikes when I drop off some garbage at the dump. Sometimes I find something old with some usable parts.
This week there was only only this BSO sitting there, All shiny in the sun, with a $20 price tag.
I figured I couldn't go wrong for 20 dollarydoos. Right?:rofl:
Got it home and had a look over it. Cables stretched, back wheel wobbles around, tight bearings etc.
Looks like it's done one or two rides and a skid in its life, the entire bike looks brand new, except a flat spot on the back tyre.
Figure it can't be that bad, and I can soon grease and adjust it up pretty easily.
So I Aired up the tyres, and they hold air. Off to a good start.šŸ‘
Hop on for a test ride, The suspension is just plain awful. Then on the way back, proceed to snap the pedal in half.šŸ˜±
These BSO's really are junk.
Should have left it at the dump! šŸ¤£
IMG_20211008_001249_487.jpg
IMG_20211008_001249_523.jpg

When I find those I put the minimum effort into getting it rideable, and then donate it on Fb Marketplace. It's very satisfying.

When one is starting out repairing and modifying bikes I look on these like the parts equivalent of a socket set - lots of parts, some of which will never be used, some destined to make your neighbours happy when you repair their kids' bikes, and some things like headsets, seat stems and fasteners will prove invaluable on your own projects, eventually.

When one is starting out repairing and modifying bikes I look on these like the parts equivalent of a socket set - lots of parts, some of which will never be used, some destined to make your neighbours happy when you repair their kids' bikes, and some things like headsets, seat stems and fasteners will prove invaluable on your own projects, eventually.
I figured there was easy enough 20 worth of parts there, as you say spare bolts, tyres, tubes, etc etc. I normally grab the older stuff and strip them down for parts and spares if they're not worth doing anything with. Hadn't bothered to take home a BSO before LOL. I was amazed at just how bad they could make one hahaha.

I figured there was easy enough 20 worth of parts there, as you say spare bolts, tyres, tubes, etc etc. I normally grab the older stuff and strip them down for parts and spares if they're not worth doing anything with. Hadn't bothered to take home a BSO before LOL. I was amazed at just how bad they could make one hahaha.
I know, I have a similar frame sitting in my garage, it weighs a ton and the brakes were awful. If anyone jumped it, then it would have landed like a sack of scrap iron...

Latest posts

Back