My build - Gassy Gary

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably sacrilege to a couple of you klunker fans, so I apologize in advance.

Not long ago, I got this sad old Gary Fisher and wanted to give it a second lease on life.

89088956_253328589014452_7482635754724655104_n.jpg

And this is what I came up with:

1612510337403.jpg

It was a blast, but I could never quite get over the aesthetics. It just looked...slapdash. So when the engine grenaded itself and necessitated a rebuild, I took the opportunity to go back through and make the thing look more respectable.

1614211441791.jpg

There's a couple little things left to button up still, but I'm a huge fan of how it's shaping up.

I've only seen the gas motors with the big cog added to the rear wheel. Is that connected to the chainwheel?

Any engine mods during the rebuild?
Yep, windowed piston and reed valve. Also got a modded KTM CDI with adjustable timing curve. Excited to finally fire it up and see how hard it rips.
I've only seen the gas motors with the big cog added to the rear wheel. Is that connected to the chainwheel?
It is. Here's some photos that should show the setup better.

IMG_20200517_144554.jpg

IMG_20200517_144611.jpg

The blue thing in the middle of the chainrings is a freewheel so they can spin forward without the pedals having to move. But the whole point of this contraption is to put the engine power through the rear cassette, allowing you to shift. Makes the machine a hundred times more usable, and powering down the street banging gears is an absolute blast. (just make sure there aren't any cops around, since most places don't let motorbikes or mopeds have manual transmissions.)

That's how it should be done. Most of those I've seen look like a high school shop project. I rode one my brother put together but the vibration was terrible.
What's your top speed? It looks like it's way over 25mph in high gear.

wow this is cool. a video of it would be nice.
I'll film something once it's running.
That's how it should be done. Most of those I've seen look like a high school shop project. I rode one my brother put together but the vibration was terrible.
What's your top speed? It looks like it's way over 25mph in high gear.
One time I got it to about 30 in fifth, and didn't have the intestinal fortitude to go any higher.

Okay, question for you guys. I got a whole lighting system ready to go on as soon as it's making noise again, but I'm stuck between two headlight setups. Either one will just be holders for the same LED lights, so I'm just concerned about aesthetics.

KIMG0192.JPG

First one is this little moped light. I like that it's not obtrusive, but fitting the LED units inside and mounting it would probably be harder than the second option.

KIMG0189.JPG

Second is this fairing. Would be easier to mount up and stick the lights in (they're the exact same diameter as the bulbs), but as it is right now, it makes the bike look like a midget with a giant head. I'm thinking it might look okay if I cut down the windscreen a bit, and would also let me hide some of the wiring and cabling.

KIMG0191.JPG

Any opinions?

Also I scored one of the Jump Bike wheels from Jag35. I was actually wanting this same exact setup for this build, for a better ratio spread, a stronger chain, and better brakes than the rim brake that's on it, so I couldn't afford not to buy it when I saw them come up. At least that's what I tell myself every night.

KIMG0193.JPG

20210406_173713_HDR.jpg

She lives once again. Runs a bit rough right now but I'm sure that'll clear up after break-in. Also the rear wheel has a couple busted spokes, so I'm debating whether to spend the money to get it fixed or just wait until I have all the parts together for the Sturmey wheel. I gotta say, though, with the new bars and seat, she's REALLY comfy.

Last edited:
1622336977286.png

Decided to mount the Sturmey wheel after all. Finding all the little bits and pieces to fit it up and get it working was a giant pain in the butt, especially after I found out the XL-RD3 (what I thought I had) and RXL-RD3 (what I actually have) were in fact not the same hub at all, but after about a solid month of searching, I got them all together. Giant shout-out to these dudes for helping me.

Still need to fab a shift lever, but I was so sick and tired of wrenching and got so impatient that I just stuck the twist shifter in a spot and left it in second gear, so it's just a one-speeder for right now. I'm just breaking the rebuilt motor in anyway, so it's fine.

I'd love to see a YouTuber ride something like this cross country. bike looks great. nice job solving all your little and big problems.

Nice. I bought the Sturmey RD5 recently.
By jackshafting to the chainring allows you to use the gears then?
I am setting on those particulars myself right now.

Thx

Well, after many months, a 1500 mile change of residence, and another new motor (don't ask....), she's all put together. Fabricobbled a jockey shifter in order to make best use of existing cable stops and keep the shifter cable short (and also because it looks cool). Also got a bigger tank and bar-end mirrors. Soon as I get the carb tune dialed in I'll start working on the electrics.

1633372612297.png

Nice. I bought the Sturmey RD5 recently.
By jackshafting to the chainring allows you to use the gears then?
I am setting on those particulars myself right now.

Thx

That is correct. This here is the kit that I went with.

Latest posts

Back