My Hero. Lol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Hero brand Chinese replica of an 1880's British bicycle I ended up with from my local Re-cycler friend. It was missing a back tire and needed a bunch of minor things done/simple adjustments, almost like someone bought it for display but never rode it. One of the brake pads was loose and the rest look new but unfortunately someone snapped the cotter pin off in the crank which is a good part of why I ended up with it, plus my friend didn't know where to get 28" tires. Rides quite nice and the brakes work better than I thought they would. I added a pair of vintage Raleigh peddles and a large double sprung saddle from Rideable Replicas along with some Torpedo grips until I find a more 'correct' set. Too bad the frame is way too big for my wife to ride.

RR2.jpg

RR6.jpg

If you mean China, that's correct. It is a Hero brand built in 2006 according to the sticker. At least it looks like you can get your crank cotter pin out if you need. Mine is broken off and no way will it come out. Other than that the bike is near mint. Good thing my friend doesn't know that 29er, 700c and 28" rims are all the same diameter or I likely wouldn't have this one. Aliexpress for the win on the tires!

Alan

If the tire is 28 1 1/2 it is a Dutch tire and not the same as 700c Dutch tire are 635mm and 700c is 622mm unless you're in Canada like me where 28 1 1 1/2 is 622mm don't know why. I've been caught with this before with gazelle and Raleigh roadster. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Sheldon Brown will always be the standard of bicycle information I am sure. I am living on the west coast of Canada most bike stores here don't even carry 26" tires anymore and look at you funny if you ask. I ordered the correct tire from Aliexpress, I used a 700cc tube that I had already. It all works great together for a bike that will basically be for display/sale.

Thanks đź‘Ť

Latest posts

Back