(MY) HOODLUM FRIEND ( take II )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Same bike as last year, a ‘58 Higgins frame and rims. This project never got off the ground last year, so I will attempt to get it built this year. Sadly it was my first DNF since joining the forum. I’m keeping the plan: tough and slick, like a 50s hoodlum.
4AF3DA79-5433-4390-B1E6-A16AD75C081F.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing your Higgins Hoodlum!!! Welcome back to the fun!!!

Same bike as last year, a ‘58 Higgins frame and rims. This project never got off the ground last year, so I will attempt to get it built this year. Sadly it was my first DNF since joining the forum. I’m keeping the plan: tough and slick, like a 50s hoodlum. View attachment 193805
Dig it! I’m originally from Newark, OH. I like your shop too!

for some reason I’m thinking you have a cycle shop? Am I wrong on that?

I showed your bike to my “expert” wife to try to impress her with how much work goes into all these bikes in this build off.

Expert wife says: “looks like he’s missing some parts.”

I told her: “THAT’S SORT OF THE IDEA…..”

I like that type of technique to create a faux - weld. I used hot glue to simulate welds on my header dump for RaTs GaSs. Fun stuff!

FT 2.jpg

RaT oN my Soul-hio brother~!

Welcome back to the fun! Good to see you playing with bikes again!

I really like the contrast of the green with the black on those forks!

Paint, paint, paint. Seal, seal, seal.
3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. I’ve NEVER had luck with home paint jobs. They all come out looking pretty janky; that’s why I will almost ALWAYS use the factory paint, no matter how old and crusty it looks. I took extra time to prep. Primed and sanded, and then sanded again between paint coats and clear coats. Time will tell.
2F222B4F-9C3F-46B3-AF22-6BB587274E3A.jpeg

Paint, paint, paint. Seal, seal, seal.
3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear. I’ve NEVER had luck with home paint jobs. They all come out looking pretty janky; that’s why I will almost ALWAYS use the factory paint, no matter how old and crusty it looks. I took extra time to prep. Primed and sanded, and then sanded again between paint coats and clear coats. Time will tell.
View attachment 197809
Awesome! I think our bikes would look cool parked together. 💪🏻

Latest posts

Back