MY OWN "UNCLE STRETCH" COLSON CLONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod said:
He can pretty much do whatever...he plans to do .

I sense a little commercial venture. Would they be made for 1 or 1 1 1/8" forks? I think this will work. People want the old bikes but cant always find them.

Great lookin' bike. In a time when some cyclists look to shave a fraction of a gram of weight, it's great to see someone using schedule 40 black iron pipe. Must fly down hills.

from the stand point of avalible stuff i would say use 1 1/8 head tubes because most modern stuff is. and if someone wants to use a 1 inch then they just have to get reducers.

Now that you said that, i want one. i love going fast on my bicycles.

Is he doing these here in Texas? If so, ask him what he would charge if I get him a frame to do for me. I am 6-4 and can't ride these small bikes.
Maybe you could do some kinda fund raiser for the site with one or two of these. Just an idea. :wink:

Paul ( Uncle Stretch ) ordered some 3" Kenda Flames the other day and finally received them so he threw them on Steve's Colson clone to see how they were going to look and fit.

Here's a few shots he took of the bike with the tires on it.

I will be heading up to Dallas in a couple of weeks to visit Steve and family and see the new baby in person for the first time. I will bring the clone bike with me, so Steve should have it before long and be able to begin putting it together his way.

bg7.jpg

bg6.jpg

bg2.jpg

bg1.jpg

all you guys worrying about shipping, its going to be billed as a dimensional weight i think (which means this could weigh 5lbs, but due to the size it could be billed as 45 lbs and cost the same ans a 45lb package that is 1/4 the size of this). if anyone wants to know pricing just PM me the size weight and zip code and i can try to figure it out. i work for ups
skyler

Yes...you are right...shipping cost shouldn't be a big deal.

Hooch and I have played around with the FedEx shipping calculator and figured out the dimension issue as you stated above. I had a bike box that would have cost $80 to ship...played with the calculator and figured out that if I knocked an inch off the height the price dropped to $40! I ran the weight from 20lbs on up to 75lbs and the price never changed.

I shipped that complete DiamondBack BMX bike from Texas to Ohio for $23 using FedEx last week.

P.S. The frame will be in my possession at the end of the month. :mrgreen:

yeah its tricky like that. theres a ton of secrets to getting your price down and cuting the box down is the best one. ups insures up to 100 free btw. i dunno what fed ex covers...never dealt with them

This just keeps sounding better all the time! I hope they start producing the frames and could someone tell me how much the alum. frame would be compared to the stock tube frame. This really sounds KOOL to me and I love the frame. 8)

My Dad brought the Colson Clone frame up this weekend and it looks great.

Can't wait to build the bike...just need money and time now. :lol:

IMG_0079.jpg

Ok steve i'm waiting. It looks better with paint , if nothing else spray it with black primer and get on with the build. It looks lonely hanging from a blue stick. ha ha

I have a few coats of dark red/maroon on there already.

Just wanted to wait a week and add a few more coats.

My Nexus 7 speed is in the shop and will be ready on Wednesday.

aka_locojoe said:
Yes I'd like to see 26x3s with this frame.

That would be cool but we might need some Uncle Stretch forks. If not, a chopper fork would be the only thing to fit that size without using a MTB fork.

Latest posts

Back