My Project Playlist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alright, so I tend to start lots of projects and have many ongoing at the same time, but my bike projects have gotten to the point that I'm starting to mix them up in my head, so it's time for me to list them so that I can more easily keep track of them and keep me on target. Putting them out here may also gain some interest and ideas from all of you in our community. These are in no particular order.

1950 Columbia 5 Start Superb (I lied about the 5 star superb part, I have no way of knowing really)

Status: rolling but sold stem that was on it, so to be rideable just needs stem and bars, 2 minute fix.

Plan: Complete overhaul. Repaint. This was my first rat rod bicycle, so I've learned some since then. Headset needs different cups/bearings. Change seat. Add stem. Change bars (maybe). Swap older fork, possibly homemade springer. Add peaked fenders.

60s/70s? Huffy Tandem

Status: painted frame with rubberized undercoat then covered with red oxide primer, hanging in shop.

Plan: make rideable, I have wheelset, tires, matching seats, matching bars, drivetrain. Not sure on fork, but I've been thinking triple tree since I just got another this weekend. This bike will be getting custom fan blade rear fender skirts with some art (hopeful on the pinstriping). Need matching set of pedals.

Antique Tall Bike

Status: 2 old women's frames welded together, and lengthened fork made.

Plan: Make a tall bike that looks "old", this will have fenders and a coaster brake and a more traditional paint job. I have everything I need for this except for a 24" whitewall for the front. (24" front, 26" rear)

GT Bullet Faux BMX
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=59107&hilit=+faux

Plan: Finish lacing wheels. Find chrome seat post in shop. Parts needed, chrome handlebars, purple anodized right side brake lever, another 24" K-Rad.

G.I. JESSE JAMES
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56352

Plan: Start over on side car. Paint everything OD green. Needed: time and motivation.

Giant Nutra commuter/utility bike
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63693&hilit=+nutra

Plan: Build into a daily around town do it all bike. I have everything I need for this bike EXCEPT a stem. The bars I bought for this bike need a 1" clamp, but the fork needs a 22.2 quill stem. I either need a 22.2 quill with a 1" bar clamp stem or a 22.2 to threadless adapter, then I can use a threadless stem I have access to. This bike will be red/black, as stock, but with a little more. I have new red grips, red anodized skewer set, red saddle, need some red pedals. Have the new basket bars and a new crankset and some recent take off derailleur upgrades.

BMX for daughter

Plans: Put a tube in it, finish cleaning it up a little and find some grips for it. It's just a cheap Walmart Thruster bike, black with fake pink anodized parts (painted).

BMX for son

Status: stock Tony Hawk (he's a skateboarder, not a biker :? ) Huck Jam 16" BMX.

Plans: strip frame and paint white, grease everything up, clean it up and put him on it. He's currently riding a 16" Schwinn BMX, but this frame is your typical BMX diamond frame with a longer top tube. This will continue to transition him into a 20" bike. Bike needs grips and maybe tubes. Will strip off front brake and just have a clean little bike for him.

'84 looptail Diamondback BMX

Plan: Make into a shiny little rider. I just got this F&F this weekend (thanks beatcad) and really want to be riding it soon. It came with an old set of Arayas which will be cleaned and used on this bike. I need an old set of chrome bars (period correct) and maybe a period correct stem, I have something that might work... I have some black levers and brakes, black plastic saddle, a new Porkchop Chop saw, an old chro-mo 1 piece crank, a new black/chrome chain, and a new set of black VP bear traps. So it's looking like this will be pretty low key chrome and black. I have some old looking tires that might work, but I have a new set of Comp 3 tread skinwall tire in 20" X 2.125", that are throwing me off right now. I also have a set of white (a bit yellowed) OGK "mags" and these parts are clouding my vision right now.

I probably have more, and I will add them later and modify this as things (hopefully) progress.

bike2112 said:
Where is the tall tandem on your project list?????? Tall Tandem, Now that would be cool!

I've seen it done before, but really don't want to endanger anyone else or have anyone else endanger me on a tall bike. There are some bike themes I will not mix with "tall" though we almost built a tall swing bike. :shock:

We need pics of these projects! :mrgreen: I'd like to see the '50 Columbia :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
We need pics of these projects! :mrgreen: I'd like to see the '50 Columbia :wink:

That one has been around for a while...

IMG_3669.jpg

cruise.jpg

Latest posts

Back