My Raleigh Chopper e-bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. Good to find this forum. Like most of you I grew up in the “golden age” of the Schwinn Stingray. Or maybe you are younger.......either way you have good taste. I never had a fancy Schwinn but only a hand-me down Stingray that I tried to convert to a motorcross bike when that craze started. It was nice but it was not for me. Well it was until it was stolen. I wanted soooo bad a nice Schwinn Krate like my richer neighbors had but my parents were too cheap. Such is life.

Some 40 years later I still felt unfulfilled at the slight from so long ago of being denied. I don’t know what possesses a middle-aged man to want a child’s bike but maybe a psychiatrist could explain it. So here I am one day, I finally have the means and I spy this Raleigh Chopper at a garage sale. It was the modern version and while similiar it lacked the shifter, but it was close enough. I think my wife thought I was crazy and I had no idea of what I would do with it but I knew it was mine!

It was basically new and looked and rode great. I rode it home as I was pretty close to home and I eventually decided to get an e-bike kit for it. Trouble was that since it had a small front wheel there was only one kit, and that was the most expensive one! No problem, I was in too deep to turn back. The kit took a lot of work as there are lots of wires and such but it worked out great. It was such a blast to ride it and the electric motor helped as it is so heavy with the battery and I live in a hilly area.

Literally the first day I took it out I was riding by a church as it was letting out and this guy was driving away from the parking lot. He said “Is that a Raleigh Chopper? I had one when I was a kid.” He got out, took pictures, and smiled. Another middle-aged man still carrying the torch. Then I rode to another sale on the way home and a fellow said “Is that a Raleigh Chopper?” Here we go again. Anyway, it does get a lot of looks and questions that’s for sure.

I did buy a NOS shifter that was aftermarket for the original Chopper and my goal is to install it and bypass the shifter on the handgrip. Then my childhood dream will be totally realized and then I can put those 40 years of shame and longing behind me 🙂

Here is the bike. This was taken shortly after I installed the kit. It looks the same essentially. Any questions on the bike or the kit feel free to hit me up. I am in the Portland, Oregon area.

Luke

BAF8B769-0834-49D3-B143-4E703EA3A653.jpeg

Is that an Archer horn/radio?

Yep. And the battery still works some 5 years later. We have a great A.M. oldies station in my town too, so I can listen to 60’s and 70’s tunes while riding around. Except for when the ‘throttle’ is engaged as this messes up the radio reception and produces the most godawful noise. Trade off’s 🙂.

Super sharp!

This is a great intro post... I'll move it to intros for you.

Welcome to RRB :thumbsup:!

Jason (also from Oregon)

Thanks Jason. I thought there might be some locals on the board. I had a fleeting idea last night to try to organize some kind of bike ride for bikes like ours. Something like the “Rod Run to the End of the World” in Long Beach WA. But instead call it “Rat Run to the End of the Earth” to avoid any confusion with theirs. And it does feel like the end of the earth out there on the peninsula.

I used to have a driving route from PDX to Long Beach area daily, so I spent lots of time out on the peninsula. I told a cashier at a store there that the area would be a great place to put people who were in witness protection. She didn’t seem amused.

I used to have a driving route from PDX to Long Beach area daily, so I spent lots of time out on the peninsula. I told a cashier at a store there that the area would be a great place to put people who were in witness protection. She didn’t seem amused.
... probably because she was in witsec :bandit:...:grin:.

Slick! @doity :cool2:

The Raleigh MK3 is a fantastic aluminum frame bike.

Dave Sims on his Mk3 with upgrades.

Man, he must be in some kind of shape because he has to pedal two revolutions for every one that the road bike riders likely do.

Hi All. Good to find this forum. Like most of you I grew up in the “golden age” of the Schwinn Stingray. Or maybe you are younger.......either way you have good taste. I never had a fancy Schwinn but only a hand-me down Stingray that I tried to convert to a motorcross bike when that craze started. It was nice but it was not for me. Well it was until it was stolen. I wanted soooo bad a nice Schwinn Krate like my richer neighbors had but my parents were too cheap. Such is life.

Some 40 years later I still felt unfulfilled at the slight from so long ago of being denied. I don’t know what possesses a middle-aged man to want a child’s bike but maybe a psychiatrist could explain it. So here I am one day, I finally have the means and I spy this Raleigh Chopper at a garage sale. It was the modern version and while similiar it lacked the shifter, but it was close enough. I think my wife thought I was crazy and I had no idea of what I would do with it but I knew it was mine!

It was basically new and looked and rode great. I rode it home as I was pretty close to home and I eventually decided to get an e-bike kit for it. Trouble was that since it had a small front wheel there was only one kit, and that was the most expensive one! No problem, I was in too deep to turn back. The kit took a lot of work as there are lots of wires and such but it worked out great. It was such a blast to ride it and the electric motor helped as it is so heavy with the battery and I live in a hilly area.

Literally the first day I took it out I was riding by a church as it was letting out and this guy was driving away from the parking lot. He said “Is that a Raleigh Chopper? I had one when I was a kid.” He got out, took pictures, and smiled. Another middle-aged man still carrying the torch. Then I rode to another sale on the way home and a fellow said “Is that a Raleigh Chopper?” Here we go again. Anyway, it does get a lot of looks and questions that’s for sure.

I did buy a NOS shifter that was aftermarket for the original Chopper and my goal is to install it and bypass the shifter on the handgrip. Then my childhood dream will be totally realized and then I can put those 40 years of shame and longing behind me 🙂

Here is the bike. This was taken shortly after I installed the kit. It looks the same essentially. Any questions on the bike or the kit feel free to hit me up. I am in the Portland, Oregon area.

Luke

View attachment 160632
Love the Old School radio had one of those on a bike as a kid does it still work

Latest posts

Back