My Strandie-style rides.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The first one that I'll post is my Hanter Shopping Cruiser. The Shopping Cruiser was a slightly heavier duty version of their Makaha Cruiser. These were mild steel cruisers with a cro-mo fork and five speed rear clusters/derailleurs. They do feature small, drilled double gussets under the downtube/headtube joint.

I replaced the levers, bars, wheels, and upgraded from a rear Lee Chi caliper to a cable-operated disc.

The torn up cruiser seat was removed from the fluted post and replaced with a Gyes leather saddle.

The real difference between the Shopping Cruiser and the Makaha 5 was really the wheels. The Makaha 5 came with (I think) UKAI rims on Suzue hubs with standard gauge spokes. Shopping Cruisers had Steel hubs, Heavy duty Chrome box-section steel rims and 12 gauge spokes. I also remember the Makaha 5 having BMX grips, while the Shopping Cruiser came with the glued-on foam covering the entire cruiser bend handlebar.

From what I can find online, Hanter was based out of Southern California, and an importer of Taiwanese sporting equipment for the most part. This would go a long ways in explaining the '90s-era Zephyr cruisers I've seen with an almost identical frameset, but a MTB style fork with cheap cantilever front brakes.

Last edited:
tumblr_odepeu3RHe1sbc9bqo1_1280.jpg

I scored this '62 Typhoon frame, fork and strut bars from JSparks here in the For Sale area. It came with a seatpost and crankset, but I replaced the seatpost with a solid aluminum unit from Rev106 at Genuine Bicycle Products, and the crank and chainring with a set I'd removed from an '80s Schwinn Sidewinder a couple of years back.

A bar change to some SE cruiser bars soon followed. Wheels are Weinmann 26x47mm double-wall hoops, 11 gauge spokes and sealed/Shimano CB-110E hubs.

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures of your Hanter Shopping Cruiser, I knew that spot looked familiar. The bridge under Victoria that goes to the government center. Don't know how I missed that your in Ventura man. My avatar pic is the alley that runs parallel to Loma Vista. Small world!

Latest posts

Back