RRBBO13 Naked Trekie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That speed....it's the shoes. :wink1:

Hey, your computer head won't work with the Duo Trap unless it is in the ANT+ language. Some cellphones are capable of being used in this way with the appropriate app. There are also probably a few of the older Trek computers out on ebay or CL that would be compatible.

It is the shoes! That upstroke helps...haven't done that in a while but felt natural quickly. Clip out still gives me the willys a bit.

Computer is ANT+ (Giant Neos). was the cheapest one I could find and came with a mount. Will probably flip the mount. Wanted it hidden behind the bars but would be tough to see from down in the drops.

If I flip the mount it will be lower and I can have the head in the middle and the strap on the non-drive side.

duot3.jpg

Just thinking as you say how thin the carbon is in places . Do you think by removing paint & clear coat that you could be loosing some of the strength in the frame . . .
It should look pretty cool when you done. But at this point it looks like your destroying a brand new bike . Like they say it’s going to get worse before it gets better. [emoji1303]

Got a half liter bottle of that on the way...will get through some of it with the blade then use that for the rest.

This sanding will be endless... :whew:
Courage dude !!!

Thank you.

Do you think by removing paint & clear coat that you could be loosing some of the strength in the frame . . .

As long as I don't dig into the carbon it should be the same strength-wise. Seems like the sound of it might be changing as the paint comes off. The sound of the carbon bike especially while changing gears is different.

It should look pretty cool when you done. But at this point it looks like your destroying a brand new bike

That's basically where it's at right now...:21:

It's gonna be cool though...:nerd:

Got some donor wheels to try on it while I polish the factory Bontragers.

Guess where these came from...somebody's fresh find thread.

74670_dcf1f50ce8d85bcc3fc39578357ba48f.jpg

Once the factory wheels are polished will have to decide which ones to use for pics. Maybe one aero wheel on back.

Goal for now is get the bike down to mostly white then clean it up and slap these on. then take a break from paint scrapping and work on polishing some things up.

Got a half liter bottle of that on the way...will get through some of it with the blade then use that for the rest.

Thank you.

Stuff works extremely well if you follow the instructions to the letter. It's what my buddy uses for all the carbon Trek Project One bikes he does

Chad pounced on those wheels less than 10 minutes after I posted them. :D
Glad that I can help with this build and even more glad that Chad can help pay for my build :D:D:rockout:

Trek should hire you as a designer Chad! Maybe have some of the corporateers come and help you scrape off the advertising for hours and hours. They may not add them next time. The horizontal razor blade technique I use frequently to remove top layers as it does give the you the accuracy you need. I sometimes use it to scrape furniture finishes off old pieces when re-doing them, as well as overpaint from prewar frames and parts. A sharp blade scrapes it right off. After getting the graphics off of a set of carbon handlebars recently, I cleared them with satin polyurethane post-600 grit wetsand, which gave it some protection that is chip resistant.. Nice job! It looks much better now...skpc

Last edited:
Stuff works extremely well if you follow the instructions to the letter. It's what my buddy uses for all the carbon Trek Project One bikes he does

Good to hear...that's cool your buddy paints project 1 bikes for Trek!

Chad pounced on those wheels less than 10 minutes after I posted them. :D

I commented right away but I actually waited 'til the next day to start hounding you about them..:D...couldn't resist tho...same 10 speed cassette...staggered tires...:)

Trek should hire you as a designer Chad! Maybe have some of the corporateers come and help you scrape off the advertising for hours and hours.

Thanks man! Actually got me motivated to slap her back together for some pics.

Purposely picked out a bike with super loud graphics but you'd have to spend over 10 grand to get one this plain I think.

The White Rat.

wr1.jpg

wr2.jpg

wr3.jpg

Still need to hook up the chain and adjust the brakes..(rims are 5mm wider and have an angled brake track). Look forward to testing out the aero effect on these wheels. They supposedly make a noticeable difference.

I think those are alloy braking surface wheels? Check, cuz otherwise you need some different pads for the brakes.

Some conical washers will help you address the slanted braking surface. Get extras at Home Depot.

The bike looks tight. Love the red housing, hope you keep that. Looks like bloodlines keeping that speed demon flowing! Once you get that frame bare, some red bar tape to match might be cool as well...

Those look much better on your bike that again a garage sale wall. :D
I especially like how the profile gives the illusion of super thick tires.

I think those are alloy braking surface wheels? Check, cuz otherwise you need some different pads for the brakes.

Yes these are the alloy/carbon ones. Sounds like some of the carbon wheels can be slippery fish but I'm sure that will get figured out.

The bike looks tight. Love the red housing, hope you keep that. Looks like bloodlines keeping that speed demon flowing! Once you get that frame bare, some red bar tape to match might be cool as well...

Thanks! Thought about the red and I think it looks good with the plain white but planning on black for the cables so the Twizzlers will be going. Want the cables to blend..same thing with the tape. The hoods stand out too much on the bright tape IMO.

Those look much better on your bike that again a garage sale wall. :D
I especially like how the profile gives the illusion of super thick tires.

Thank you...the real aero wheels do have that fat tire look. They're actually wider than the tires. Love them with the white but feel like they might be drab with the bare carbon. We'll see.

flo8.jpg

The carbon fairing amplifies some of the road noise so you get this faint toboggan sound going down the road and the freehub is loud which is nice when your coming up behind somebody.

Got a display stand for it. Pic with last years build off entry. the Super Collegiate.

stand.jpg

Time to start polishing some bits. Gonna start with these.

stem3.jpg

Aircraft remover works awesome in warm weather. So glad these weren't powder coated. They need a lot of sanding tho.

You can always make them look like huge raised letter tires with big letter saying GOOD BOOT

09.jpg

You can always make them look like huge raised letter tires with big letter saying GOOD BOOT

That's cool! Probably won't mod them until I see how the polished wheels look. If I keep them on there I'd like to peel the stickers and maybe polish the lip and hit the carbon with some lemon Pledge.

Can't wait to see it in carbon!

Me too....:)...still lots of meat on that bone tho...:p...time to goof around with some easy, fun stuff.

Got a couple parts chucked up for some drill polishing this morning.

shiny2.jpg

Cap was powder coated but no match for the drill.

shiny4.jpg

Then got really distracted trying to get this pic.

shiny1.jpg

Can't wait to polish the large conical spacer. It's VP not Bontrager so might also be powder coated but that will go on the drill. Stem will be a bit of a chore. Then might be time to actually install some shiny bits...:cool:

stem2.jpg

Got this mirror ordered. It's called the Italian Road Bike Mirror.

IRBM-on-bike-640x360.jpg

Need to figure out how the cables attach to these brifter (brake/shifter) deals.

Latest posts

Back