Nautilus (Beached Bobber)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
01_DSC_1164_sideview01.jpg

A lot of fun as always and thanks for the encouragement! I'm still a little unsure of the final finish on this build. Although, it is growing on me and it definitely hits the objective of having a finish that I don't need to worry about scratching. Rides really well and will make a great beater for the summer.

piecesParts.jpg

See the complete build here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...beached-bobber-wbo-2018-scratch-built.105568/

02_DSC_1166_rearView.jpg

03_DSC_1172_reverseView.jpg

Detail Shots

04_DSC_1186_headlightDetail.jpg

05_DSC_1176_brakeDetail.jpg

06_DSC_1179_seatpostDetail.jpg

07_DSC_1180_taillightDetail.jpg

This has some kinda cool going on that I can't even articulate using words
...like some Tusken Raider dude built it. I guess they count as words :)
Very cool, I'm off to read the build thread

OK read the build thread...still think it's cool :) There are really nice details in the build and that paint/patination finish you've given it has just totally nails the whole build. Along with what was left raw - great choices all round.
What colour spray paint did you use during the vinegar/salt patination process?

Thanks.

I used Rustoleum can spray for both the frame and chain guard. For the frame I used a warm off-white, "French Cream". For the chain guard "Vintage Teal". The forced rust mixed with the paint and changed both colors. The white became darker with orange and brown staining. The teal looks more green than the color straight out of the can.

What an absolute belter of a bike! Brilliant ideas superbly executed.
There isn't a single angle from which this build doesn't look awesome.

TJ, extremely high level of rat-isfaction on this build! In that last group of photos, I see a winner in either that first or third pic. Bump one up to the front of your thread!

Excellent design work, engineering, and fabrication.
Excellent execution!
CONGRATS!

A true work of art, I remember saying WWWOOOOOWW out load several times watching this come together. Kudos, and great job thinking "out side the box" on several aspects of this build!

Another mind blower....the finish stands out more +looks cool in the brighter pics...had an idea for the brake but forgot..:39:..some of your brake setups make me nervous..:p....bike is really cool...like something out of a dream.

Another mind blower....the finish stands out more +looks cool in the brighter pics...had an idea for the brake but forgot..:39:..some of your brake setups make me nervous..:p....bike is really cool...like something out of a dream.

Thanks. The brakes on this one make me a little nervous too... no back-up up front. Luckily it’s pretty flat around here and it’s a short fall off the seat!

Awesome original bike. Such amazing skills!

With the stance, when night riding, I could see putting a magnesium plate under the down tub and lowering the pressure on the back to be able to spark up the night with a bounce or two....

Great job!!

[emoji106][emoji106]

Awesome original bike. Such amazing skills!

With the stance, when night riding, I could see putting a magnesium plate under the down tub and lowering the pressure on the back to be able to spark up the night with a bounce or two....

Great job!!

[emoji106][emoji106]

... the magnesium plate would help with braking too!

Latest posts

Back