Need 26 x 2.125 larger/taller Street/Cruiser replacement tire suggestion?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-T

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I want to rotrod my balloon tire vintage bike with bigger tires that would fit stock fenders and frame without modifications.
I don't like off-road or winter tire's look.
Someone told me that the new imported Schwalbe 26 x 2.35 tires were actually the same size as regular 2.125???
Is there someone who installed Sunlite Sandy Beach tires (or other brands) 26 x 2.5 and took pictures?
My ratrod project is a 1951 rusty Firestone/Monark with stock deep fenders.
Any tip would be very much appreciated; Cheers...!!

Ultimately much of the tires mounted width and height (crown) is dictated by the rim width

My Kenda 2.35 are true to size on the correct rim but if I squeeze them onto a narrower set they draw in about .125 but are significantly taller in the center or more crowned

Ultimately much of the tires mounted width and height (crown) is dictated by the rim width

My Kenda 2.35 are true to size on the correct rim but if I squeeze them onto a narrower set they draw in about .125 but are significantly taller in the center or more crowned
OK, Now I got it, all 26" tires 2.125, 2.35 or 2.50 are all 26" high, according that they must first be installed on their proper specific matching rim's width!?
So I will have to "try" to install a 2.50 tire on my stock 2.125 rims; hope it'll fit, or better yet, I hope someone will post some pictures of their personal experience in a bigger than stock tire swap; Thanks Very Much...!!

Nope. A 26" wheel is named such because that is what the original 26" x 2 1/8" tire was designed to measure. Every tire since then is at best a rough estimate. In Theory, any 2.125" wide '26' should be 26". Any increase in width will increase height, and a decrease will result in a less than 26" tall tire. The inner case of the tire is supposed to be a circle...so if you increase the width of a tire by .5"...the overall height of the wheel should increase by ~1". All this is adjusted by rim width, tread design, and truth in advertising.

Last edited:
OK, Now I got it, all 26" tires 2.125, 2.35 or 2.50 are all 26" high, according that they must first be installed on their proper specific matching rim's width!?
So I will have to "try" to install a 2.50 tire on my stock 2.125 rims; hope it'll fit, or better yet, I hope someone will post some pictures of their personal experience in a bigger than stock tire swap; Thanks Very Much...!!
It's not the hieght, it's the diameter. A 26" tire... or 559mm, is around two feet tall. It's the inner diameter that measures 26", so that would be the bead. The outer diameter can be any size. I have two different size Kenda Kwest from my old ratrod, and the wider one is taller, the wider a tire, the taller it'll be, since it needs more sidewall.

Like the other user said;rim width plays a factor,and those old or basically single wall box cruiser rims are wide and actually don't permit to higher pressure,and usually have no bead support/flang- that's why balloon tires are how they are,when really they aren't no different than say a Schwalb Big Apple- which is a quote;balloon tire.

IMG_20220805_033717_521.jpg

The formating really got screwed up on that post,Im trying to say that if you had newer generic rims,or just newer in general,they're narrower and have a bead flange,thus you can run a higher pressure,and that combo will make the tire taller,and it MAY be narrower as a result,that depends on the tire,a twopointfifty kwest might not get narrower,but a twopointfifty kenda eightthirtyeight might,the .... is going on with this site?

It's not the hieght, it's the diameter. A 26" tire... or 559mm, is around two feet tall. It's the inner diameter that measures 26", so that would be the bead. The outer diameter can be any size. I have two different size Kenda Kwest from my old ratrod, and the wider one is taller, the wider a tire, the taller it'll be, since it needs more sidewall.

Like the other user said;rim width plays a factor,and those old or basically single wall box cruiser rims are wide and actually don't permit to higher pressure,and usually have no bead support/flang- that's why balloon tires are how they are,when really they aren't no different than say a Schwalb Big Apple- which is a quote;balloon tire.

View attachment 203243
559mm is the inner diameter, 22". The tire being 2" tall makes up the other 4 inches to make it a 26". 26 is the outer measurement, which isn't exact. The inner diameter must be exact to fit the rim. A 20" tire inner diameter is 16" as an example. 559 is the standard, the 26 x 1 3/8ths size and Schwinn S-7 26" are slightly different and have a different size inner diameter.
My 26 x 3.0 tires are 559 at the inner diameter, but they are 28 inches tall.
hardtail kickback 32.jpg

Latest posts

Back