Need help identifying this..maker, year?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine has this one and will be doing some bartering, bust all we see is the Cherokee logo on chain guard. My searches have come up empty.
36F6ABE8-26A7-4235-97AC-C2C0E92937E3.jpeg
99E9FF0D-BC80-41FF-BFBD-A3F44A22410B.jpeg

NP. That bike looks in good shape, has the original seat from the looks of it. It also looks like the original red paint is there, like someone just went over it with a can of spray paint to spruce it up. Some of the pinstripe shows on the rear fender and there's some red overspray on the Cherokee, so that probably is the original name. I've never seen one. It may be a different brand of bike, maybe sold by a dept store or a hardware store, but still made by Murray. The spot where the original headbadge was may give a clue.
Murray serial numbers may show you the exact year, depending on the brand.

From the thread on Murray serial numbers on the CABE:
"Sears bikes had a 502 and Gambles bikes had a WG or a WG and a single digit. Sears bikes then had a 2 - 5 digit number afterwards that stood as the model number and was actually used in there catalogs as the part number. Gambles Hiawathas were the same way."

So, that makes your bike sold by Gambles Dept. store. Probably a Hiawatha brand. That would go along with the Cherokee model name.

Also, it looks like the 24-1066 may be the Gambles catalog number. The 55 might just be the year, but I don't have any info to back that up.

From the thread on Murray serial numbers on the CABE:
"Sears bikes had a 502 and Gambles bikes had a WG or a WG and a single digit. Sears bikes then had a 2 - 5 digit number afterwards that stood as the model number and was actually used in there catalogs as the part number. Gambles Hiawathas were the same way."

So, that makes your bike sold by Gambles Dept. store. Probably a Hiawatha brand. That would go along with the Cherokee model name.

Also, it looks like the 24-1066 may be the Gambles catalog number. The 55 might just be the year, but I don't have any info to back that up.
Thanks for the assistance, I’m hoping I can find the proper badge for it.

Latest posts

Back