Need help identifying year/model of Cook Bros Racing vintage bicycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aunt recently passed away, BMX bike was her son's who passed @ 18. He cherished this bike. I have no idea what I have and if anyone could direct me I would greatly appreciate it. This is what I know.

Cook Bros. Racing serial number 534
Tuff Wheels II
Redline 44 sprocket
Tuf Neck (w/original)

Attached are some photos:

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 46
My condolences.

Matti's link is spot on...it is in the '78-79 range. I'm assuming '79 as it has drilled forks (if they look factory drilled...not backyard drilled). This is assuming your brake bridge is flat...hard to tell in the photo.

You have something real special here...proceed carefully.

Last edited:
The Tuf Neck stem on it is probably ~'81-83...later than the bike. It is damaged by the non-original hardware...but is still worth some money. The stem below the bike looks like an MCS 6-bolt and could be contemporary to the bike. Tuff IIs came out in '79…but they still make them today. Should be a date or date code on the rims under the tube.

The trick setup back then would be to have alloy wheels for racing, tuffs for the street. I would assume the hubs are original to the bike and the tuffs were a '2nd day' aquisition.

I would be super interested in the 6 bolt gooseneck if you are thinking about selling it. I need it to finish a 20" MCS Magnum build I am working on

If you are looking to sell...to get an idea of prices, I have a couple suggestions. Both of which are hampered by the low volume (rarity) of Cook Bros stuff.

You need access to someone with a current membership to bmxmuseum.com, so they can search the completed for sale classifieds (I've let mine lapse).

Search for items on eBay using the 'completed items' filter. That only goes back ~90 days, but gives you an idea of what things do, and DON'T, sell for. Also, you need to know that prices are generally high compared to local/real world.

There are altruistic collector/experts out there...but, even the well intentioned are going to be a bit predatory. Soak up any offered advice, but always verify.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back