Need help removing the crank from my OCC Choppa

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to take the crank off of my Schwinn OCC chopper. I removed the right arm by tapping on it with a rubber mallet... now the left (crank) side is not cooperating :x
I looked up online I need a special crank tool... and right now i do not have the time to go hunt one down.

Are there any tricks you guys have that can save me some time from hunting down this tool?

Also, Ill def invest in one ... which one do you guys recommend and wheres the cheapest place to get one? I dont care if its online or in person... i can wait.

Thanks!

You know that the spindle & hole in the crank is tapered. OCC. cranks are steel, so you can remove them without the tool if you are careful. on mine, I grab the end of the crank where the pedal goes and wiggle the crank towards and away from the frame. do it by hand . . . no cheater pipe! It might not seem to be doing anything, but keep at it because when it is ready, it will just come off. Worst case, you can find a longer bolt (i think it is metric M8x1.25) that will extend out of the crank, make sure it is threaded all the way in, and LIGHTLY tap the end of the bolt while pulling on the crank. Again, you just need to "pop" that "taper fit" , so its the light tapping and NOT heavy force that will do it.
Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back