Need some advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Guys I need some advice, I just finished stripping my frame, chain guard, and fork and I'm going to be painting it this week. What I'm not sure about is when I apply the water decals on the seat post down tube should I do that after I'm done and have clear coated the bike or should I apply them after paint and then clear coat over top of the decals.

I personally like to clear coat over decals. But you have to do it in light coats or the decal might lift. Not sure if it's the preferred way, but I like the extra protection on my decals.

It is a matter of preference really. Clearing over the decals will make them stay on for good, but when these bikes were first made, the decals were not cleared over.

Just be careful clearing them, they will lift like DD said. Hope it come out good!

I personally like to clear coat over decals. But you have to do it in light coats or the decal might lift. Not sure if it's the preferred way, but I like the extra protection on my decals.
Thanks DD that helps

It is a matter of preference really. Clearing over the decals will make them stay on for good, but when these bikes were first made, the decals were not cleared over.

Just be careful clearing them, they will lift like DD said. Hope it come out good!
Thanks Rob, Since it's my first time I'll probably apply them after till I get a little more experience.

Some good decal instructions on this page. Also tells how to spray them with clear. http://www.hyper-formance.com/decals.htm I like to put enough clear over my decals to sand the paint completely smooth. But like stated earlier dry, thin coats first.

Try not to mess with them too much. I always get into trouble with the chain guard decals falling apart. The dot on the i of this one landed on the S. But it turned out OK with lots and lots of clear. :p

rGuIU8.jpg

Some good decal instructions on this page. Also tells how to spray them with clear. http://www.hyper-formance.com/decals.htm I like to put enough clear over my decals to sand the paint completely smooth. But like stated earlier dry, thin coats first.

Try not to mess with them too much. I always get into trouble with the chain guard decals falling apart. The dot on the i of this one landed on the S. But it turned out OK with lots and lots of clear. :p

rGuIU8.jpg
Thanks Chad, the explanation on Hyperformance was great, hadn't heard of microset solution before. Nice job on the chain guard!

Microset is great stuff! Pete told me about it years ago and it is killer. Sets the decals right down on the paint.

Thanks Chad, the explanation on Hyperformance was great, hadn't heard of microset solution before. Nice job on the chain guard!

If you have a hobby store by you that has a lot of train stuff they should have the microset and microsol.

Microset is great stuff! Pete told me about it years ago and it is killer. Sets the decals right down on the paint.

It's good with or without the clear right. You use the microsol though don't you? (red lettering). I guess it's stronger than the microset. I'll probably get that when I run out of the microset.

The color is awesome, would like to see more pictures of this beauty.

Thank you! That color is Mazda Sprited Green Metallic.

There is a car that color that parks down the street from my house. It always reminded me of the Schwinn lime so I bought a '64 Stingray that needed painted.

Then I started my education on the early bikes. When I found out how much nice original wheels were I decided to just build the nicest set of wheels I could for it. I did keep the 36h rear 28h front configuration.

Got real lucky on the sissy bar. Eagleye had bought a whole garbage can full of sissys and said he had an early one in with them. I made a deal with him before he even saw it. It's replated and the nicest chrome I've ever seen..:D He also had the seat clamp I needed with the same lot of parts. Thanks Rob!

Here's some more pics of it.

park11s_zpsfesimxjq.jpg~original

Paint is real sparkly.

paint2_zpsik4hyigv.jpg~original

The rest of the decals. I used a '63 headset because I like it better. I take a lot of liberties with the originality but I do like it to be kind of original.:p

park1_zpsltzc6ifw.jpg~original

Not too bad for spray cans. More details of this bike here.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/toadster-lime-64-stingray.87748/

Latest posts

Back