Need some trike 101

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a slightly beat up Electra Jeremy, that I bought as a project bike. I though it would be fun to convert it into a trike. I don't do welding, and I don't off hand know any welders (yet), and I'm not even sure I would like it as a trike, so I'm looking at using a bolt on kit.

My problem is, I'm totally in the dark about what various bolt on kits are out there. I have seen some new kits available, and I see that there's many older complete trikes that appear to use a bolt on kit, which I can rape for parts.

My main questions pertain to the different drive systems used, like single wheel drive, dual wheel drive, differential, coaster brake, hand brake, single speed, geared, etc.

I think I would prefer a type that uses the dual cog hub, so I can start it off as a single speed with coaster brake, and later I may want to do a Nexus 3, as I've seen those Nexus 3 trike hubs are available. Also, I feel using a kit with a differential would be ideal, if available.

I see some various kits available, but which ones are good? Also, to save costs, I would like to find a used trike to rape for the rear end, so are there any particular existing trikes I should be on the lookout for, which may give me what I need? Anyone have any links to existing trike FAQs?

Thanks in advance, and here's the project bike:

1001514845_EzqEJ-XL.jpg

try to find this, Schwinn, I like them and use them for all my builds, alot of them are three speeds, but there are singe speed ones too,and they have a diff in them,
0327091006-01.jpg
0327091006-00.jpg
0520091725-00.jpg
0516091026-00.jpg
100218_112318.jpg
100221_163301.jpg
0422071613_00.jpg

and yes, I would build a trike with that frame if I had it, but I have too many projects as it is now, plus there is another trike project waiting,keep us posted and lots of pics please and will be watching this one for sure, :D

olschbp said:
and yes, I would build a trike with that frame if I had it, but I have too many projects as it is now, plus there is another trike project waiting,keep us posted and lots of pics please and will be watching this one for sure, :D

Hey, that particular rear end looks like just the ticket! Looks very stout, too. I've just read that the Schwinn Town and Country trikes started using differentials after 74. Does that sound right? Now all I gotta do is look for one, that's not priced like gold :shock:. Out here, I usually see the older Schwinn trikes priced between 200 - 500! What kind of price ranges have you been able to purchase these for?

Are those hubs proprietary to that rear end (they appear wider and/or smaller diameter then most), and how many spokes? Are those rims you used 24's?

Do you know if there are any other options that use a differential? What about some of the new conversion kits, like the Spookytooth one? What type of drive system is used? I would definitely love to use the Schwinn one, but curious about other options.

BTW, I dig your two builds, in the pics! Is that first one a Nirve frame?

yes, that is a Nirve Switchblade frame, the hubs are Schwinn chopper rear hubs, that I modified, 36 hole, rims are 24" from ChoppersUS, the axles are also custom I did, I do all my own machine work,

A few days ago when I first saw this post I didn't realize that in a day or two later id have my own trike... or trike project. I mater a rearend of an Openroad (Huffy built) and just bolted it up to the rear dropouts of my 93' Murray Westport cuiser and it seems really solid and I was planning to weld up underneigth the bike's chainstays where they cross over the trike's rearend cross struts, which run under the bike's chainstays, to add support. How many of you just bolt into the rear dropouts and roll?

thanks in advance, and picts of what my trike looks like b4 and so far, coming soon.

That Switchblade Trike is awesome.
I just picked up a 2010 Cannibal. Having fun looking back at other Cannibals and Switchblades to see what's possible on these beautiful beasts.

I picked up an old huffy or western flyer or something trike for $40 on c-list. I bolted it to the dropouts of an 80's huffy good vibrations mens frame (I think) and flat blacked it all and added gold painted accents, gold banana seat and highback sissy bar. The trike rear end has a crossbar that sits against the top of the frame and it seems really solid. I added 24" wheels from a huffy 2-spd mtb in the rear w/drum brake, and a 26" up front with a 26" bent springer fork and apehanger bars. This thing is basically a parts pile with a trike rear. Having trouble getting a decent pic. Not enough light and/or flash. But you get the idea.
IMAG0011.jpg

Latest posts

Back