Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I welded a tab it would have been invisible on the final product and probably would have been fine within the rules. But, I don't want to give myself an advantage that many other builders don't have. I'm not in it to win anyway, just to have some fun and bring a vision to life which is all the winning I need.

I wanted to use the tank but finding a way to mount it was bedeviling me. I want to keep this build traditional rat and also really clean which is a narrow tightrope to traverse. I finally gave in to going the hanging tank route and, well, nope. Off it comes and back into the maybe someday on something else crate. Bonus! I get to fill in more holes if I use it later. Ka-ching!

20220530_061527.jpg

I used this JB weld stuff to weld on two posts and then used the same adhesive to 'weld' the flames to them.
It's held up now for what, 3 years or so of bumping down the road? Pretty stealth way to bond metal.

394739.jpg

trans mig rat flames.jpg

I used this JB weld stuff to weld on two posts and then used the same adhesive to 'weld' the flames to them.
It's held up now for what, 3 years or so of bumping down the road? Pretty stealth way to bond metal.

View attachment 195136

View attachment 195139

I'm going to flip it upside down and do a study on it.

JB is good stuff. I drove a Chevy van from Daytona Florida to back home in Illinois with the lower radiator neck epoxied on and it held up fine.

I really like the dimples. It almost makes me want to run a chain guard on my bike.

I also used to use Gibbs on all my guns, but then WD-40 started making WD-40 long term corrosion inhibitor, and I started using that. Unfortunately it has become hard to find, and expensive. They came out with some new formulation that is not as good. I will probably go back to using the Gibbs

My build has temporarily hit the skids. We are having our living room updated and painted. When I came home from work earlier this week, the contents of the room had been moved into my work space effectively blocking my access to it. I didn't know that was happening or I would have at least removed the fenders for some minor body work. It should, hopefully, be accessible again by next weekend. Drat! Curses! Foiled again!

There is soooooo much coolness going on with this build!!!! You had me when you put the deep fenders on. Then that guard with the Shirley Temple Dimples!!! Keep rolling man, this is gonna be a killer build!

There is soooooo much coolness going on with this build!!!! You had me when you put the deep fenders on. Then that guard with the Shirley Temple Dimples!!! Keep rolling man, this is gonna be a killer build!

I am loving this build.

Thanks fellow ratters! I'll be getting back at it pretty soon. I have a couple more things to try that might be pretty cool (or another good way to wreck more parts:blush: )

Alright, back into the ratting business. Tonight I filled all of the un-needed holes in the fenders. The tank is going to get another try; I filled all of the extra and not needed original holes and tacked the two halves together. I am going to try epoxying the tank directly to the frame this weekend. I'm hopeful it will be a solid bond, there are two kits of JB Weld at the ready. Pictures will be provided of the almost certain chaos. If it works, my plan is to mold it to the frame with Bondo 'cause every good rat runs better with a tank of Bondo.

The tank I've been trying to use on this bike has a backstory. I bought a couple of old bikes from a guy and as I was getting ready to leave he told me to hold on and went into his garage. He came back out and handed me a beer and this tank for free. I thought he was a real cool dude. Now I know he gave me this tank because it defies being mounted to anything and he was at his wits end with it.

So now I am at my final attempt before the next guy gets snookered. I scuffed the top tube and tank with 36 grit. I made swizzle sticks out of zipties. I placed a large drip sheet of cardboard under the frame because I've been married a long time. I mixed up JB Weld and put a heaping helping along the tanks entire seam. I used blue painters tape to hold it in place because it was right there on the floor. Now I must leave it alone overnight to see if the mating ritual takes hold. Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode of Ne-er-Do-Well and the tank that wouldn't.

20220618_175752.jpg

20220618_180542.jpg

Last edited:
Before you left did you tell him

1655596685881.png

Did it stick yet?
Did it stick yet?
Did it stick yet?
Did it stick yet?
Good question.

The last thing I did last night, before going off to tortured dreams, was close the blinds, light some candles,and put on a continuous loop of some Barry White classics. First thing this morning I removed the tape and the tank & frame are successfully mated! My inner moron wants to stress test it but I shall fight the urge. Todays rat chore will be oozing more JB Weld along the edges on both sides because more is always more better.

Latest posts

Back