Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About as exciting as watching epoxy cure,that's where my build is at the moment. I've spent the last couple of days leaning the frame over and filling the gap between the bottom of the frame and the top of the tank with JB Weld. I'll give it a couple of days and sand out the epoxy that is in places it just shouldn't be. Then I get to repeat the process with Bondo. I have no fear of the tank coming loose anymore, two kits of JB Weld is a confidence builder. Things should progress quickly after I get through this stage.

20220622_124625.jpg

Good question.

The last thing I did last night, before going off to tortured dreams, was close the blinds, light some candles,and put on a continuous loop of some Barry White classics. First thing this morning I removed the tape and the tank & frame are successfully mated!

giphy.gif

Shout out goes to OddJob. I was ready to give up on the tank and he nudged me into giving it another try. To my eye, the tank fits the frame and the look I'm chasing perfectly, but dang it gave me trouble mounting it. The JB Weld has it nailed rock solid to the frame. I spent some time tonight with a right angle die grinder with a conditioning pad cleaning it up for the next step. Now it just needs a light smoothing coat of Bondo and it is done. The tank has plenty of imperfections but the whole bike does too and that is fine, I'm building a rat after all. :happy:

20220623_212109 (1).jpg

If you don't change up ten things on your build each time you work on it, you just aren't trying hard enough.

Plenty of non build off stuff this weekend. I put finishing touches on two of my other bikes and I'm pleased as pickles with both of them. I also scored a great deal on a Nexus 3 speed coaster hub and shifter. That changed up my one of these days Firestone Super Cruiser build. That left the wheel set I built for it hanging around not earning its' keep. Therefore, that wheel set got promoted to this build. I installed new blackwall tires that have been waiting around for yet another one of these days build.

The rims are Weinmann AS7X, spokes are 14g stainless, rear hub is a fully rebuilt Musselman/Higgins deco, front hub is an alloy high flange.

I now have a pretty solid idea of what the finished bike should look like, subject to change :39:

20220626_201548.jpg

20220626_201615.jpg

20220626_201643.jpg

If you don't change up ten things on your build each time you work on it, you just aren't trying hard enough.

I often worry about not doing that, but then I have to kick myself to remember that I already know pretty much how mines going, and I don't have that much stuff to work with, but then I love looking at builds like yours because you change so much... :bigsmile:

I often worry about not doing that, but then I have to kick myself to remember that I already know pretty much how mines going, and I don't have that much stuff to work with, but then I love looking at builds like yours because you change so much... :bigsmile:
I have one part that I need to make and then the parts swapping should be done on this build. Today I will be boxing up the parts that didn't make it on to this build and shelving them for later. Next I will be taking it to paint and body work, an area where I have no talent but that doesn't keep me from trying.

A painter, I ainter.

Recently while driving somewhere else, I passed a yard sale. What to my wondering eyes should appear but a complete Black and Decker body shop, also known as a Workmate. I chunked my truck into reverse and went back. For the price of 10 dollar value meals, I have graduated from string and my crabapple tree paint booth. I'm giddy with excitement.

First a pro tip from an amateur: Old primer makes a popcorn ceiling effect even after lots of shaking. Second pro tip from an amateur: removing popcorn ceiling effect primer
clogs sandpaper real fast.

Today the tank gets Bondo, the ugly epoxy mutilator.

20220628_090406.jpg

No no Bondo! That tank is MINT the way it is!

No no Bondo! That tank is MINT the way it is!
It's getting just a light skim coat to fill in some pinholes. When I tacked the holes somebody :rolleyes: drilled from the inside it left shallow holes. Same with the fenders. I probably could have epoxied them but I ran out of JB Weld and the Bondo was on the shelf. All of the waviness and dings get to stay.

Just about there with the Bondo job. The best of the best Kustom builders in the 60s & 70s used Bondo by the gallons to create the wild machines of the day. In the chopper world they called it 'moulding the tank', so I guess I done went and moulded my tank. I spent way more time and energy on this fun activity than I had intended to but hey, somebody had to do it. The photo doesn't show it real well that the mould job is a finger tip wide curved joint.

20220630_222835.jpg

Last edited:
That tank looks fantastic on that frame. Really glad you stuck with it.
Thanks and yep, the tank needed to be on there. I didn't really notice or intend it but the shape of the tank and chain guard are almost identical, especially the belly. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good!

RRBO17mock4.jpg

Latest posts

Back