Nerve Choppers ... my Switchblade....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting pictures of my recent upgrades to my Switchblade ... thanks to Kevin at Pork Chopped Customs in Wichita .... for figuring this out and putting up with me ... our original plan was to just upgrade to a 3 speed nexus hub with disc brake ... our first plan was to just buy bolt on adapter so as we began mocking it up we discovered that disk brake adapter wouldn't fit due to layout of rear drop outs so a little modification was necessary well due to spacing issues this plan was quickly scrapped so enter Sturmey Archer 8 speed rear end with disc brake this thing looks awesome with the disc, it is massive and looks super techie/high performance. New issue the sprocket on this thing is much bigger than Nexus 3 so old Blue BMX chain is now obsolete which is a shame as it looked cool with blue annodized BMX 3 piece crank set that I had previously installed. I am changing from 3G Iron Cross pedals to new blue anodized bear trap style. The brakes were the main reason for all of this and I have chose the Skeletal Hydraulic ones they are white with red anodized parts and the hoses for them are also white, we are looking into braided stainless hoses for them but at this posting we are going to use standard black ones ...oh yeah did I mention that cool white ones are too short ...which is ok as we started mocking it up me decided we didnt like the look .... our current plan is to re lace the old wheels with blue spoke nipples and with the other spokes being too short for the new rearend ... that is until I can afford some billet wheels ..... Hopefully I can get picts up tomorrow

I have also replaced the headset and handlebars with some shorter nearly straight drag bar looking ones ... also installed 3 nerve headlights 1 large and 2 small .... I am contemplating new chain but currently am running the blue bmx model but think with addition of new parts this may be too many shades of blue as the chain is kind of a sky blue and am thinking that the huge wide BMX chain is a better look ... I dont know if you have ever ridden one of these bikes but for a raked fork chopper style bike this thing rides great ... have made a downhill run on it where speedometer d bikes were reading 37+ MPH and the frame was bouncing and flexing and there was a minute where my life flashed before my eyes ... cant wait to do it again ..... I have also ridden this bike on several recreational rides of 10+ miles with no problems or comfort issues ....also looking at building rear reflector into tail light as that thing looks awesome and very clean ..... I will also bet new hydraulic brakes add to ride ability of this monster

[URL=http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/slugmonkey/media/florida14054.jpg.html] [/URL]sorry this took so long ... and these picts are so crappy ... you can see the white cylinders and the red anodized levers ... there is also a pict with calipers bolted on we were running the lines at the time this pict was taken ... rear brake swap and install is now complete will have better picts this weekend ... going to fire up the cannon rebel so the picts will get much better

this is the new 8 speed Sturmey hub... was going to swap out chain but the brakes and new hub made it look awesome so I think I will just leave well enough alone ....was extremely pleased and wound up winning my class at the show ... this setup also rides great ... just love how the brake looks on this bike ... very few things turn out as planned but this setup was exactly what I was looking for .... cant wait to show up on this thing at Pub Ride

Latest posts

Back