New and in search of a good rat rod project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this site and new to vintage bikes. Definitely not new to bikes though. Worked in a shop as a mechanic for 10 years and an avid mtb and road rider. Looking for a fun klunker project to go along with the retro steel bikepacker mtb I’m building.

Missed out this morning on a FREE retro Flying Star skip tooth cruiser. oh well.

Looking to build a klunker that I can add some 26” mtb wheels to for a beer run bike and an occasional ride on some light trails. Anyone ride a klunker as a single speed trail bike? any suggestion on brands, years, places to find a cheap one? Thanks in advance!

I would suggest any frame with good welds. It may sound obvious, but some people overlook strength for price or style when building a clunker and first time they get even a little hairy...SNAP!!! there goes the frame. With that said, remember the old saying: "It aint good cuz it's old...its old cuz its good." IMO, can't go wrong with any Chicago Schwinn.

Thanks man. Sound advice for sure. I’ve had my eyes on a “prewar” Elgin. It looks to be in pretty nice condition but the guy is a 2 hour drive. Gotta see it to be sure it’s solid and I don’t know how to tell if it’s pre war. Gotta hit up the google o. The serial # I guess. I do have my old 90’s mtb that I’ve now committed to finally build.

I say go Schwinn. Then again, I'm a certifiable Schwinn Geek, weigh over 200lbs and sometimes rock a pre-war model as such:

bwd4.JPG

If you're a Clydesdale or even over 150#, steer clear of crimped stays if you intend to ride even light dirt.

I say go Schwinn. Then again, I'm a certifiable Schwinn Geek, weigh over 200lbs and sometimes rock a pre-war model as such:

View attachment 122576

If you're a Clydesdale or even over 150#, steer clear of crimped stays if you intend to ride even light dirt.
Yeah, my idea of building a Klunker for the trails has slowly changed to owning a cool Klunker for local beer runs. Instead I’m opting to build my ”Retro Ratpacker” - mid 90’s steel frame converted to disc and mullet set up.

since you opened the gates, I will follow. Tacos and cerveza have definitely caught up w me.:dance2:
I have yet to meet a Carnitas taco that can break a Schwinn. Dang...now I want TACOS!!!

Latest posts

Back