New Chopper build started today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven't really been on the forum in a while, I've been busy trying to pay the bills now that my shop is almost finished up and running here in TX. A few months ago I got an email from one of my So-Cal Chopaderos brothers wanting to pick my brain about a new bike he wanted to build. I told him I would locate all the parts on his wish list, crunch the numbers and bounce a price off him to see if it was in his price range. When I told him it was going to be close to $3K to build it, without a hesitation he gave me the green light to get started. So I came up with a contract, secured a deposit and a pay schedule, and began to order all the random parts last Monday.

The design parameters were a Hells Angels style "Frisco" chopper with a midsized springer fork, straight tubing rigid frame, a 24x4 rear wheel, 26x3 front wheel, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear and a dummy gas tank that will serve as a shell for a Camelback filled with liquid of choice. Well since I've already been a motorcycle fabrication shop for the last 10 years, specializing in British bobbers and choppers, building a bicycle to look like a motorcycle should be no problem. First thing I did was go into my shop and look through the mountain of spare parts, tanks, fenders and the like and figure out if I had any cool old school chopper parts that I could build into this bike.

Well I found an old beat up peanut 1.5 gallon fuel tank with a really deep tunnel that wasn't exactly to my liking. After a two day soak in rust killing solution (oxolic acid) all the old paint came right off and the rust was brought down to fresh bare metal. Right away I thought this deep tunnel had to go and I figured 1.5 gallon was probably a bit large so a 2" wide section was cut from the center of the tank leaving the two tank sides with a nice ready to weld parting line. Also with the tank in two pieces I can fix all the little dents the right way with a hammer, dolly and english wheel. This thing will look great on the bike, I can see it already.

The wheels are coming from Choppers US in pieces and a set of black spokes and nipples from Alfred E Bike will lace them up. Its been a few years since my last true wheel build but it like falling off a horse. The rear hub is a Sturmey Archer 3 speed from Choppers US for a wide rear wheel. I'm going with a single disc rear hub to use on the front to get the full sized chopper feel with my springer fork I've designed. A while back when Schwinn made that little kids OCC bike they used a 20x4 rear wheel and had to make a bottom bracket shell and BB axle in a long version to accommodate the wide rear wheel. Well those dam things are Chinese junk not to mention hard to locate. So I'm using two sections of chain and a small jack-shaft for the offset. I've done it before and it works without a hitch.

I'm also fabricating an under the seat mounted "oil bag" like on a full size chopper to house the rechargeable Lithium 12V battery for the high powered LED lights and it will also hide away a Kryptonite chain lock. A good friend of mine is trying to breakout into the custom tooled leather industry so we've partnered up on making some cool hand tooled leather solo chopper seats for the motorcycle industry and I'm incorporating one on this build with a Chopaderos theme. It's truly going to make this bike an outlaw chop! The paint scheme we agreed on will be a heavy metal flake silver base coat with a House of Color candy tangerine top coat. The forks will get a gloss black finish with gloss black flames on the tank over the silver/tangerine base. The wheels are black anodize and any "chrome" will be a simple brushed stainless steel.

Although this line drawing doesn't really do it any justice, this is what it will be close to looking like when we're done. And by the way that's a 1-1/2" wrench for a swing away kickstand!

mbr8z6.jpg

As progress is made I will update the thread. The bike must be finished and delivered on September 17th so this should be fun!

Later Travis

Looks like a fun build...especially with someone already wanting it. In times like now Its good to have paying customers. :mrgreen:

I got some parts in the mail today and my friend that owns the leather tooling shop sent me an update on the leather solo seat she is doing for me. Well I'm making the seat pan, the gel padding and she's making the leather cover.

2ztm7ep.jpg

Now I've got to measure the spoke lengths and order black spokes and nipples, still waiting on the the pedals, the chains, the front tire, and the front chain-wheel. Oh and I've got to run to my steel supplier on Thursday and pick up some more .875", 1", 1.125", 1.250", 1.5", and 1.75" diameter tubing to build another 6-8 bike frames. Just a few hundred worth of materials.

Anyway, updates to follow. Later Travis

Well Jon, my aging parents still own a house in Houston where I grew up in the Memorial/Dairy Ashford area and another home in Austin, but my shop is actually at our bay home in Port Alto near Port Lavaca. I spend most of my time down here on the water and a week or so a month between Austin and Houston. Several years ago my pops build a nice 50x60 steel building right behind my small 2 bedroom beach house, while my folks much larger place is up the street on a water lot. The shop was mostly build as a large boat storage but is very well outfitted with a complete woodworking area and a separate welding and assembly room as well as my parts storage room. I'm very fortunate to still have both my parents in good health.

I recently moved from Denver CO to So-Cal for about a year and then back to my home state of TX last September. While in Denver I had a nice proper shop near my CNC buddy and I had a sweet setup that I totally took for granted. Now I'm wishing I still had that contact. Or at least access to a CNC shop here in TX. I'm always needing just one custom part, or proof of concept model.

You guys know of anyone reliable that's also reasonable? Anyway I'll keep updating as parts come in and as progress is made.

Later, Travis

Wow you guys are busting my nuts and bolts over an image that you've got to really look closely at to see. Hey no worries, whatever. I deleted the images, I'll remember that when its finished for the photo shoot in Kickstand magazine. I'm not building a child's bike, and if your familiar with any of the Chopaderos there aren't any children involved. I understand you've got your rules, and I'm playing nice, but come on!

i can't wait to see this built judging by the wicks its going to look mint..... i love the seat as well.....

Yeah...we try to keep it clean around these parts because we have several members who's kids check out the forum too.

Thanks for being mindful of the younger rodders. :wink:

not to tell ya what to do, just keep it clean for the younger people. believe me they notice EVERYTHING. you are playing nice, the pictures aint. :wink:

hey travis yea this is more the tame side of the kustom bike world we play nice nice here. if i want to start trouble i step over to the chopaderos site :mrgreen: suprised ted has not seen it over here actually i am suprised i missed this too. looks nice so far but all i see is the seat pan

Hey Travis, thanks man, didn't mean to be a kill-joy for you. In normal conversation with my buddies I curse like a trucker. Here, I follow Ratrod's rules. I mean, he's nice enough to let us hang out in his ' electronic backyard" so it's just respectfull.
Anyway, why not just stick a piece of tape on the tail-light? Then pics won't be any problem (unless there's something else you got going on with the bike) :lol: :p
Seriously keep posting man, looking forward to this build.
Rick

Some parts arrived today all the way from across the pond in Amsterdam! Check them out

5b4lmr.jpg

And a couple touched up old images.
4j40tf.jpg

2lu48zc.jpg

Still waiting on steel as my supplier was out of the sizes I needed but its looking like this Monday I'll be bending and fitting into my frame jig.
Here it is with a 1964 Triumph frame I'm grafting on a 80's Yamaha fork and wheel. It's very adjustable for bikes and motorcycles.
2przl2v.jpg

Talk later Travis

This looks amazing! Buttt..isnt it going to weigh about a thousand pounds? haha, who cares this'll look incredible when it's done.

PS Because the Sturmey Archer rear hub has a flange effective Dia of 90mm and the unusual Rigida 24"x4.25" rear rim size, the spokes required ended up being 228mm. I was forced to buy a spoke threader. If any of you are considering building a set of wide wheels but are up against the wall trying to find spokes and the like let me know. I'm thinking of offering up these wheels as sets or individually as soon as I can secure a business account with Rigida and Sturmey Archer. Just to give you an idea, I had to pay full retail for all the wheel parts individually and so far before I even assemble the rear wheel its totaled $323 and that doesn't include the $45 in shipping charges. There has to be another option to full retail from Choppers US.

Later Travis

Na Rat according to my calc the frame material before welding comes in just under 6 lbs and I'm figuring a complete bike weight under 40 lbs. But the guy I'm building it for is 6'3" and 275lbs, it really needs to be stout!

Later Travis

Parts just seam to be trickling in every day. I got the chain wheel and hydraulic brake lines today and I figured I'd put something together and take pictures. I needed to measure the offset of the crank chain wheel vs. offset of the rear sprocket so I can make the jack-shaft sprocket hub. Basically a 1/2" I.D. sealed bearing with a sleeve cut for 2 Shimano sprockets and a spacer. I figured this approach will work better than having to make wider bottom bracket shells and longer crank axles to fit a wider rear wheel. I will post pictures of the hub as progress is made. I think I will ultimately offer these for sale once I get a working prototype and can source a CNC shop to produce them for me.

Anyway here are the cranks and pedals.
2hrkhax.jpg

jrp6w9.jpg

Latest posts

Back