New Chopper build started today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its coming down to the wire and not for lack of trying I'm starting to loose sleep on getting her finished up. A really good friend once told me that I'm the kind of guy that turns out the best work under pressure and I guess to some extent that's true. Well the day before yesterday I had the fork completely finished with the new springs attached and I went to pick it up I realized I had totally over built it. The darn thing weighed almost 30lbs. So I started drilling lightening holes everywhere turning the legs into Swiss cheese. Although I though it looked OK, the end result still weighed almost 25lbs., way too heavy.

So the night before last I couldn't sleep and I knew I still had to spend several hours cleaning my shop and organizing to set up my paint booth. Well I got the paint booth together, and I rebuilt the main legs of the fork in a 1.25" diameter X .065 wall tubing instead of the 1.5"X.095 tubing of the first set. The legs are noticeably lighter and I'm hoping the all built weight will be about 17lbs. The lower rocker plates are still about the heaviest parts at nearly 4 lbs each but I'm afraid to hollow them out too much and loose the strength.

So this morning I've got to run to my friend's machine shop and fab up a few last minute parts and also turn the ball joint plates on the lathe, then come back here and paint all night which gives me two days for paint to harden up before packing late Thursday night and catch an early flight Friday morning to SF, CA for the SF Bike Expo. Well I guess I'll finally get some sleep when I'm dead. :mrgreen:

Sorry I took pictures late last night but I forgot my camera in my shop and its 43 degrees outside right now. I'm going to wait for it to warm up a little before going out to turn up the heaters in my shop. Temp is supposed to be in the low 70's today but I need it to be closer to 80-85F for painting to be optimal so I'm cranking up the heat! I'll be sure to update with paint step pictures late tonight or even tomorrow if I'm not too high on paint fumes, I do have a respirator that I plan on using but it never fails that you end up breathing in some of the fumes. :mrgreen: I really like the way catalyzed enamel smells, just something about it makes me feel all warm inside. Like I'm actually getting finished with a project!

I'll update El Jeffe soon too as I'll be painting that one up early next week as well. I decided after riding El Jeffe in the Austin "Tour De Fat" that I needed to make some design changes. First off the seat was simply too low to the ground! So that's getting a new platform welded to the frame that gives me a leaf spring mount about 4-6 inches higher. I don't think it takes anything away from the smooth lowered lines but it definitely makes the ride a bit more bearable. After the 12 mile shakedown ride my bum was numb and my legs were burning from lack of leverage on the hills of Austin. I hate those Schwinn 24" knockoff tires. Those things are going in the trash first thing I can get them off and order a new set.

Alright I've blabbled enough, its warmed up to 48F. Woo Hoo! Back to work. Later Travis

AussieJester said:
It's beefier than my cruiser and im touching 80lb Luckily i have a motor for forward motion

Travis said:
I'm guessing total bike weighs about 45-50lbs

IronSpadeCycles said:
Well the day before yesterday I had the fork completely finished with the new springs attached and I went to pick it up I realized I had totally over built it. The darn thing weighed almost 30lbs.

Im guessing the rest of the bike (without the forks) weights a lil more than 15-20lb too Travis LoL.. Looks like i was a little closer to the mark suggesting in excess of 80lbs Travis?

Best of luck getting it finished wouldnt like to be on your schedule thats for sure! YOU CAN DOOOO IT Trav!!!!111oneone

KiM

eh, my cycle truck weighs a ton and it still gets around fine. Can't wait to see pics. Not sure if I'll make it out to the expo or not to see it in person.

Alright already, so its going to be a little heavier than I thought. My bad... :mrgreen:

So I got the base coat of orange finished up this morning at 5AM after working for 16-hours yesterday getting the shop cleaned, organized and the paint booth set up. Then I had to blend all the weld joints with filler and that took a couple hours between laying on the filler and sanding it all smooth.

5osio9.jpg

Believe me this is way cleaner than it was just a couple days ago. Here is a couple of the spray booth I rigged up.

23kfb60.jpg

2z5lild.jpg

And here is what you all have been waiting for. The base color of orange looks much better in the real sunlight instead of my digi-cam flash. The first picture is the slimline battery box top and bottom plate. They are going to be lined with black felt on the inside surfaces and the top is accessed with 3 quarter turn D-Zus fasteners.

dxzqt0.jpg

The frame turned out so nice and the tank and fender looks fabulous after a coat of paint. All the orange pieces are going to get taped off for the black flames and then it will get pin striped in SF this weekend. I draw the line at pin striping cause I suck at it! I can do taped pin striping all day long but this wasn't a clear coat paint job so that was out of the question.

ea48rm.jpg

287nerl.jpg

jaugrc.jpg

2jewar8.jpg

furs75.jpg

I'm super stoked that its finally coming to a close. This bike has been challenging to say the least and to some extent a bit of a rush considering all the parts I've handmade. I'm planning on letting the orange dry for another 6-8 hours before I tape off the flames and paint all the black parts in one shot. That way everything will have a solid 20+ hours to dry before I pack it all up tomorrow night and catch a flight Friday afternoon.

I'll post another update tomorrow after the black is laid down.

Later Travis

.... you Travis...the last frame picture convinced me to spray my frame now rather than going the easier route of powdercoating, the
ability too smooth the welds over with bondo was the clincher :: sigh :: Thanks for the extra days i will now take to prep the frame buddy.
Your painting skills are the goods Travis but we expect nothing less BUT can you air brush too mate ?? hehehe... Are you using 2Pac paint Travis?

I met ask before the workshop looks like its setup for wood working also see a wooden boat being built in the background are you sharing the space with someone are you?

Best of luck meeting the deadline mate i have every confidence in you :)

KiM

I used a 1:1 epoxy primer/sealer that can be top coated after 30 minutes and doesn't require sanding other than any blems that may appear. I had a couple very small spots that needed just a touch of sanding so after that I sprayed the orange in two coats. Between the 5 pieces that got orange I used 3/4 of a quart of orange. The paint is a catalyzed enamel that doesn't require a clear coat. A one shot deal. Its mixed at a 8:1:2 mixture (paint, catalyst, reducer) so 3/4 of a quart of paint base with the other two ingredients stretched to a full quart of mixed paint. All the parts got a nice heavy 2 coats and I think it just looks fantastic.

The really cool thing about this paint is that its so easy to spray and I was shocked at how it never even hinted at running. I think the hardest thing about painting frames is that your always bound to miss a spot or two and most of your paint ends up on the floor as your trying to spray a thin tube profile in a 6-8inch wide spray pattern. This paint lays on so well and just sticks without pooling up. I guess its all about the consistency as it comes out of the sprayer. It was kind of spendy at $275 for 2 quarts of color, one orange and one black, and a half gallon of 2 part epoxy primer. But the end result should last quite a while.

As far as airbrushing, I'm pretty good at it but its honestly been over 7 years since I've used it for anything other than touch-ups and detail work. I once did a complete airbrush paint job on a fiberglass 6ft long wall mounted Marlin Swordfish. It had flames and waving checkered flags painted on it. It took me almost a 2 week to lay on the 14 different colors and all the tape work. When it was finished I ended up giving it away to hang on the wall of my friends bar. It looked really cool but every time I looked at it I could see flaws in my work.

I don't have time or the spare cash to do another one. I think I spent almost a thousand bucks just on paint and supplies.

When I went to the machine shop yesterday I was able to turn the ball joints and the flanges so I think I gained about 6 degrees of turning angle but we'll see when I get it all together. I've got to go work on another part that needs addressing, the jack-shaft support bracket. Updates to follow.

Later T

Lookin' great Travis! Now comes the best, and worst, part of the project . . . final assembly! It's fun seeing all the hard work done in fabbing finally going together "in color", but nerve wracking being careful not to chip the paint. You've taken the difficulty up a notch with the Frisco deadline . . . all the best to you. And bummer I won't be able to get over there to meet you in person.

Well its all finished and packed up and I'll soon be out the door to dash to the airport. I'll post picture after I get back. Later Travis

Hey guys, Travis here, we won "Best Cruiser" at the SF Bike Expo today. The guys from "Behind Bars Inc" were the official judges at the event and although the Chopaderos commanded a bulk of the entrants in the competition there were still quite a few bikes competing. I honestly didn't think we had a chance against some of the other bikes but I guess the judges had a different opinion. I think its great knowing the back story about the guys at "Behind Bars Inc". These guys have had limited edition toys made of their own custom cruisers and sold worldwide at Walmart and other toy chain stores. Anyone who can mass market a scale model of their own award winning bikes and think My stuff has merit, my hats off to them and I'm deeply honored.

I can't post picture till next week when I get back to TX but the end result of this bike is so cool!

I'll be back in TX next week on Wednesday. Talk to everyone then.

Later Travis

PeeWee said:
Hey guys, Travis here, we won "Best Cruiser" at the SF Bike Expo today. Later Travis

Right on!!! :mrgreen: I'm not surprised in the least! Your work is awesome! I can't wait to see the winning bike!! Congrats!!!

Well its time to put this build thread to bed. I had fun although it has been a trial to get it done. After its all over, I feel a bit miffed, sort of anticlimactic. I was in such a rush getting the bike to the show I only took a few pictures and they weren't very well lighted so I'm not really even satisfied with the pictures. We won an award, but I don't know, I'm not really that impressed. Sure the bike looks great but, I'm ready to move on to the next one, or three. Here is the last of the pictures.

11chaoy.jpg

2wr1b3l.jpg

21rm9t.jpg

333ir6s.jpg

m968fq.jpg

2s1417n.jpg

2n72gzd.jpg

My wide glide springer fork design.

24eoml2.jpg

Our trophy for "Best Cruiser"

23mknz8.jpg

I'm on the left, Pee Wee (the client) is on the right. I feel like I shrunk standing next to him. I'm 6'2" and he's like 6'6"...

34dhlww.jpg

I think the orange paint looks perfect outside in the sunlight. I think I'll paint a Triumph chopper I'm building this color orange.

Later T

Believe it or not, I'm building a E-bike next. Nothing too radical, just a 500W 36v hub motor but the package is going to be sick! Its for one of my best mates, Damon Bruno, from Denver who just happens to be on staff at Kickstand Magazine. Long story short, I owe him a bike and we're doing a little horse trading for a motorcycle that's in my shop. I was going to build the motorcycle for him but honestly he belongs on a bicycle so I'm trading him a built cruiser for the old motorcycle. He'll probably come out ahead in the end, but I don't mind, he's one of my oldest friends. I'd probably build it for free anyways.

I'm calling it "Damon's Demon Serial #665". Its not going to be too radical but it will be a total one off custom, cause that's just how I roll, :mrgreen: . I got some parts donated to the cause from Dirty Dog Mtb, I'm going to be using their parts on several build in the future so the owner of the company is hooking me up in trade for the exposure I'll get in the magazine. I'll start a separate build thread later today explaining the whole thing.

I think I will get started today with his bike as I'm feeling it coming together in my head.

Later Travis

saw it up close it had some neat tricks. i was wondering what the final total was on this one as well. talk about a bling cycle

Latest posts

Back